Note to New Members ×

DVD Ripping, archiving, playback from computer.... possible?

Jack M

Anyone do this? We've amassed a not insignificant library of kid's movies on DVD, but unfortunately the kids think DVDs are Frisbees. Is it possible to "rip" a dvd to your computer and play it back to your TV ideally over wifi? Is this coming down the pike in iTunes? Any other products? Thanks.

I believe that's illegal, thanks to the DMCA: breaking your DVD's encryption is illegal, and the "backup copy" exception is no longer valid. :angryfire

That doesn't mean that you can't do it, of course. :eplus2: You may need to hack something together yourself though, rather than relying on Apple.

It's very possible to rip them. You can also get rid of the features that you don't want and just keep the movie. As far as I know it's not illegal as long as you don't distribute it or run a theater or whatever with it.

I'd suggest xlobby (www.xlobby.com) again. Cool interface with archived dvds.

Wifi is generally a little slow to stream video. I've heard 802.11G can stream, but I know for a fact that 802.11b cannot.

A couple products are DVD Shrink and I think DVD Decryptor. But if you look up dvd ripping software you'll find a whole bunch of it.

i've used dvd shrink and dvd decrypter quite a bit, for the same reason (i don't want to buy dora, nemo, or the wiggles multiple times). works great. i also have a couple of mce boxes, which output to your tv splendidly. vista will do the same, as well as act as a dvr - in high def too, provided you have the proper hardware, etc.

haven't tried wifi though. i know you're thinking of going mac, but until then check out thegreenbutton.com. you'll find all your answers there. xbox and 360 supposedly are great extenders, if you have one of them.

-trent

I believe that's illegal, thanks to the DMCA: breaking your DVD's encryption is illegal, and the "backup copy" exception is no longer valid. :angryfire

It may currently be unlawful, but that is absolute rubbish. Logically invalid. If ripping DVDs is wrong, then so is ripping CDs. They're trying to close the barn door after the horse has already run out. And it ran out with the dual cassette deck about 25 years ago.

Very funny, Dr. Laura. My 1.5 year old is not capable of understaning that the data is on the shiny side. My 4 year old is though, and it hits home when Lightning McQueen says ka-ka-ka-ka-ka-chow! Nor is the 1.5 year old aware that opening the dvd tray and then shoving it back in by hand is a bad thing.

I just don't want to have to keep my dvds and the player in a vault.

Jack

your title suggests one thing:

HTPC. Home Theater PC.

Yes, there are some copy protected DVDs. This can be bypassed (google) but...the HTPC era seems to be on us.

Current mac software is really, really impressive for this feature (as well as photo shows, presentations, etc) but there are also PC versions that use Windows Media Edition.

Google Home Theater PC and youll find a LOT of info. TV Tuner cards with remotes, vid cards with all the power and output options you could ever want, etc.

I plan to do this soon...build my own though, mostly to amass a solid library of MMA fights sorted by fighter, org, weight class, etc...

Just came across this thread, my comments are merely educational in a hypothetical sense and under no circumstance would I advocate ripping and copying a copyrighted DVD rented from say Blockbuster........

Google up and find a freeware DL of DVDshrink 3.2 it takes care of most of your "backup" needs and shrinks a DL movie down to a regular single layer disc, keep movie quality by deleting stuff not needed ie portugese soundtrack etc. I try and keep movie quality to 70% when going to a single layer 4.7 gig disc, I am to cheap to plunk down the cash for the DL discs to maintain 100%. It works very nicely if you have NERO Supreme burning program already on board. Have only had a few movies I couldnt "crack".

DVD Fab express is another "decryptor" but only in a 28 day trial format for free, they want money for the Gold version which I have never tried. It worked quite well before it expired on me.

Dave*

Anyone do this? We've amassed a not insignificant library of kid's movies on DVD, but unfortunately the kids think DVDs are Frisbees. Is it possible to "rip" a dvd to your computer and play it back to your TV ideally over wifi? Is this coming down the pike in iTunes? Any other products? Thanks.

Yes it is possible, but illegal in the USA. Get X DVD Copy and do not ask for Platinum as it is illegal in the USA. I have it as I purchased license day before its delegalization... plus it is legal in Europe and supported by company I believe in Ireland. You could get it on computer shows (marketpro.com) sometimes... but again it is officially illegal digital right management circumvention device.

Sorry. Thank to your DMCA/DRM lawmakers for this kind of stuff.

And yes it is possible to play/stram via WiFi on Windows with for example this:

Streaming to TV from Windows - Device

and now on Mac with Apple TV

Just came across this thread, my comments are merely educational in a hypothetical sense and under no circumstance would I advocate ripping and copying a copyrighted DVD rented from say Blockbuster........

Google up and find a freeware DL of DVDshrink 3.2 it takes care of most of your "backup" needs and shrinks a DL movie down to a regular single layer disc, keep movie quality by deleting stuff not needed ie portugese soundtrack etc. I try and keep movie quality to 70% when going to a single layer 4.7 gig disc, I am to cheap to plunk down the cash for the DL discs to maintain 100%. It works very nicely if you have NERO Supreme burning program already on board. Have only had a few movies I couldnt "crack".

DVD Fab express is another "decryptor" but only in a 28 day trial format for free, they want money for the Gold version which I have never tried. It worked quite well before it expired on me.

Dave*

Shrink is good but installer contains adware. if you have personal firewall you will see what happens. i had to manually remove some DLL files from Windows.

Short answer: doom9.org

Long answer:

Copy on your hard drive with DVD Decrypter

If it is >4.7GB (double layer), shrink it with DVD Shrink (unless you have a Dual Layer burner and Dual Layer discs)

If it is <4.7GB (single layer), burn it directly

Burn it with DVD Decrypter, ImgBurn or Nero

If you have a copy protection and DVD Decrypter gives you errors, use DVDFab Decrypter.

All free software (except Nero), all run on Windows (not good if you switch to Mac). Good for making backup copies of you DVDs.

Anyway if you need backup of your own moovies go to any computer store and they have some DVD backup software for a few tents of dollars (I woulkd guess $30-$80). Nothing fancy and definitelly will not backup CSS encrypted DVD's... even though you own them as legally purchased in store.

Shrink is good but installer contains adware. if you have personal firewall you will see what happens. i had to manually remove some DLL files from Windows.

If I recall correctly, the official installer contains nothing of that. Yours is probably a repackaged one.

Jack

your title suggests one thing:

HTPC. Home Theater PC.

Yes, there are some copy protected DVDs. This can be bypassed (google) but...the HTPC era seems to be on us.

Current mac software is really, really impressive for this feature (as well as photo shows, presentations, etc) but there are also PC versions that use Windows Media Edition.

Google Home Theater PC and youll find a LOT of info. TV Tuner cards with remotes, vid cards with all the power and output options you could ever want, etc.

I plan to do this soon...build my own though, mostly to amass a solid library of MMA fights sorted by fighter, org, weight class, etc...

Bypass is very simple: just get any DVD backup copy of software from Europe (e.g. online) as the old continent does not have foolish restrictions on backup even encrypted DVD's (BTW encryption in current form is a joke building case for lawers in the USA). As I said once on thsi forum many years ago: it is how you use some thing not that you posses it that makes you breaking law. Distributing backup copies is illegal everywhere.

I'm NOT looking to burn back-up copies of my DVD's onto DVDR's. I want do do away with the physical plastic discs altogether.

Here's what I've done with my music: I *ripped* all my CDs onto my hard drive. I use iTunes to play them. I use the Apple Airport Express to beam the music from my computer to my stereo over the wireless LAN in the house. It works great.

Basically, I want to do THAT with my DVD's. Or am I being a dolt and someone has already posted the solution?

The Apple TV device is close, but no cigar. You can't rip a DVD into iTunes. Furthermore you can't even <i>play</i> a DVD in iTunes. You can only purchase and download movies through iTunes. And for now they have a library of about twelve.

There is no logic that says CD ripping is legal and DVD ripping is not. WTF?

HOW DO YOU RIP A DVD??????

I think the previously mentionned HTPC packages have that function, but I have not played with them yet so I can't say.

It depends on the software you use to stream it/play it back. Do you keep you menus and extras or just the main movie? You can copy it as an *.iso (whole copy) file with DVD Decrypter or copy the VOB files (containing the videos) using DVD Decrypter or DVDFab Decrypter.

There is no easy solution that I know of. All I can tell you in addtion to what I previously said is read up. If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to help you out.

totally unnecessary

Jack...dude...people have answered your question, with multiple software suggestions.

google it, man! "DVD backup for mac" or something. You need a specific piece of software, and yes, it is almost the same as music, just bigger, and there might be encryption youll need to get around, as previously stated.

There is no logic that says CD ripping is legal and DVD ripping is not. WTF?

No logic, just a crappy law bankrolled by the MPAA - <b>circumventing/breaking</b> content encryption is illegal. CDs aren't encrypted (most CDs, for the time being anyway), though I'm sure the RIAA would love to trump up a reason to stop you from ripping CDs too.

Nero 7.0.

www.nero.com

Will copy or image anything. You won't be able to play the burned DVD image on your computer, but you'll have an image (Back up) of all your movies.

I haven't tried Nero 7, but I know Nero 6 will not copy encrypted DVD. The reason is that the files on an encrypted DVD have to be decoded and the key is on a section of the DVD that cannot be copied, only read. So if you copy an encrypted DVD without decrypting it, you'll need to use brute force to read its content (if it's possible). So that's why you need specific software like the ones I mentionned previously.

As for playing an image on a computer, it is possible on Windows with Daemon Tools (free) and on linux with mount with the loopback option.