Note to New Members ×

Afraid to ask!!!

eos4life

Here it goes:

Bought a used Coiler AM 172 last year as my powder board. It came with storage wax so kind of hard to check the base. Since I did not have the right conditions to ride it before the end of the season, it stayed like that until now.

A week ago, I removed the storage wax to realized that there is small bumps where the inserts are located on the base. Only for what seems to be the used inserts. My first impression: I got rip off! :mad:

So here are my questions:

If the usage for the board is going to be powder days, what kind of drawback will this bring? (If I am on edge most of the time, I would think it won't be that bad?) :confused:

My major concern is for later tune up, could I ask to get the edge and the base tune everywhere but avoid the bump area? (I am afraid there is not much base left at the inserts location, am I right or way off?)

As anyone experience the same finding?

Advice and input welcome!

If they are more dish shaped (going into the base), then it's just binding suck. Nothing to worry about. Ignore it. If they are bumps, some time with a file or a trip down a stone grind should take care of it easily enough.

My guess is that it's just binding suck. Perfectly normal. Every board I've ever seen that's been ridden has it.

Don't worry too much. Ride it. I bet those bumps suck themselves back down, or even end up concave (the binding suck mentioned above). If so, be sure to ride it a little with bindings mounted in all the holes so they all get sucked down. Then get it tuned and all should be well.

If you are still concerned after riding it a bit, call Bruce and discuss. Just like Donek, he gives great service. He'll want you to be happy (at least that's been the experience of most folks here).

Now get out and ride.

If the bumps are small, about the size of the insert holes, it could mean someone re-tapped the inserts with a bottoming tap and went too far...seen it before. If that is the case, probably only Bruce can fix it.

Try to post a pic and you'll get a better response as to what to do or who to see about it