Note to New Members ×

plastic welder for P-tex repairs?

Fleaman

I know you can buy a 200 dollar unit from reliable racing that will heat up and inject p-tex into the base but I have a line on a handheld plastic welder for free. I was wondering if anyone has used this to repair their bases.

A friend of mine also suggested black bumper repair epoxy also. Anyone with experience with this?

i literally just bought the gun from tognar. it will arrive tomorrow and i'll let you know how it does. the advantage to a gun is that you are injecting ptex instead of ptex/paraffin like the candles.

don't use black epoxy on your base unless you are using it to fill a core shot and covering it with ptex (just epoxy a little bit over the core then the rest is ptex) black epoxy is for bonding to metal, but wont hold wax and will be impossible to scrape.

Alex

never heard that about black ptex. always worked fine for me. I think you are mistaken. Base weld and ptex are two different compounds

anyway...I second, or third, the "right tool for the job" and the gun available through tognar works great. MikeT let me borrow his once and I was STOKED.

used way more than I needed and ended up with huge scrape jobs. Takes a bit to get the touch right...

never heard that about black ptex. always worked fine for me. I think you are mistaken. Base weld and ptex are two different compounds

anyway...I second, or third, the "right tool for the job" and the gun available through tognar works great. MikeT let me borrow his once and I was STOKED.

used way more than I needed and ended up with huge scrape jobs. Takes a bit to get the touch right...

Yep, it definitely takes some practice. However the repairs seem to hold a LOT longer than those done with a candle. The gun heats the ptex to a lower temp, mey gun has 3 temp settings and I use the lowest one for most applications.

Hey Fleaman

I've had good luck with Kuu Sports . com, it is located in Eastern Canada. Check out the snowboard products>base repair menu. I bought the K106C Base Repair Kit for $39.50, seems to be prefect for the home repair guy or a budget. There is also a lot of how to information.

Rob