Note to New Members ×

Odd conversation with fellow hardbooter

C5 Golfer

While enjoying beautiful sunshine last weekend in Whistler/Blackcomb I met a guy from Germany who was riding hardboots and an F2 board with stepins. Anyway I introduced myself and started up a conversation while riding up SolarCoaster. He asked what board I was riding and I told him a Prior, He said he did not know that brand and then I told him about them being made in Whistler. He was interested and then we went on to talk about bindings , he saw my TD2s and he mentioned I should try step-ins. I said they are step-ins , made in Colorado by Bomber, never heard of them he says. He the says which gets to the topic of this post, "You see mine have this hidden release button on the boot to release the binding" I looked down and he is pressing on the outside of his pant leg, no pull knob or cable like my Intecs it seems, so I pursue further and he says they are Intec, see this shaft on the side of the heel as it slides in and out. I say "so does mine , same thing", He says, No , These are Intec , I say Yea, so are mine. He says, they can't be - only Intec makes these and the bindings. So now he shows me the cable system, it is just like mine but he does not have the handle outside his pants. Damn, I thought he was onto something with a "hidden button" thing. I hope he remebers Bomberonline so when he gets home he finds there is another world out there. :biggthump

While enjoying beautiful sunshine last weekend in Whistler/Blackcomb I met a guy from Germany who was riding hardboots and an F2 board with stepins. Anyway I introduced myself and started up a conversation while riding up SolarCoaster. He asked what board I was riding and I told him a Prior, He said he did not know that brand and then I told him about them being made in Whistler. He was interested and then we went on to talk about bindings , he saw my TD2s and he mentioned I should try step-ins. I said they are step-ins , made in Colorado by Bomber, never heard of them he says. He the says which gets to the topic of this post, "You see mine have this hidden release button on the boot to release the binding" I looked down and he is pressing on the outside of his pant leg, no pull knob or cable like my Intecs it seems, so I pursue further and he says they are Intec, see this shaft on the side of the heel as it slides in and out. I say "so does mine , same thing", He says, No , These are Intec , I say Yea, so are mine. He says, they can't be - only Intec makes these and the bindings. So now he shows me the cable system, it is just like mine but he does not have the handle outside his pants. Damn, I thought he was onto something with a "hidden button" thing. I hope he remebers Bomberonline so when he gets home he finds there is another world out there. :biggthump

Cool.

Yep, get the word out.

I don't have my handles out of my pant legs either. It is easy to just pull on them through the pants. Keeps them from being "Out There" so they can catch on stuff. Makes it hard for clown to "Diss em bind" you in the lift line:nono:

Boy, you almost had me! And to think I went through all that effort to set up a pull cord inside my pants with the pull just below my jacket. Very handy!

You know, with a little bit of filing, a 3/4 inch fastex type buckle fits nicely in the Intec handle....

Yeah those krauts can be weird, The one I ran into almost acted like he was something special, and almost didnt seen to notice/care that I was on Alpine also, asked him if he was on here and, (usually use that as an ice breaker around here) didnt seem to know about it, I said you know "Bomber"? which he seemed to recognize, then rode off. Prick :nono:

Funny enough next time I was out I ran into to other guys, skiiers, who must have know the guy cause they made some mention of him, when I got on the lift with them.

...hey, hey - no German bashing here!

I guess the ignorance about the smaller companies comes from the fact that you can actually go to a store in Germany and buy hard goods! ...no need to go to the web to find gear.

Hagen.

Hehe, yep. Krauts (like me) can be weird. We're not used to talk to strangers in lift lines and often enough don't even small talk while sharing a chairlift. The reason is, we have to concentrate on suppressing belches because of all the beer, kraut, and sausages we eat all day. ;)

Those crazy euros,

last year me and a buddy were in the Harmony( 4 person chair) line up at Whistler on a somewhat busy day, right in front of us were two guys apparently in the line up and not really with the program of advancing etc in an orderly fashion, my buddy Paulie asks " are you guys two " and the response back was ( insert appropriate euro accent here) " No ve are seven" followed up with a very abrupt back turn to us and a studious attempt to ignore us.

Fine by us, a few minutes later where the right and left lines are supposed to merge in an alternating fashion this pack of a##%^&*s attempted to barge right in in a " No ve are seven" pack damn near causing a fist fight with the american tourists whose turn it was from the other side, it was actually worth the two minutes extra in the lift line to watch that little arguement brew up.

Ahhh international relations at their finest.

Now all it takes to get a good laugh is a well timed " No ve are seven"

Dave*

Hehe, yep. Krauts (like me) can be weird. We're not used to talk to strangers in lift lines and often enough don't even small talk while sharing a chairlift. The reason is, we have to concentrate on suppressing belches because of all the beer, kraut, and sausages we eat all day. ;)

I don't care what you say. "That there is funny" :biggthump

That isn't what I remember from my early years of eating with LARGE German family members at the re-unions. They didn't hold back much :flamethro

Boy, you almost had me! And to think I went through all that effort to set up a pull cord inside my pants with the pull just below my jacket. Very handy!

You know, with a little bit of filing, a 3/4 inch fastex type buckle fits nicely in the Intec handle....

They are made to receive the buckles, trick is finding the right one.

Photo, "Get Er Done" German Style? I bet they are arguing the aero dynamics of it all the way there. A race insues to find out how much fuel it cost them to have the "DumbKauf" in the back seat mount his skis sideways.

post-198-14184222825_thumb.jpg

...flat-landers! From the license plate it looks like those guys are from Hamburg - couple hundred miles from the closest mountains. They could have spent the extra money that they needed for gas on a decent roof rack or box instead. :biggthump But they probably spent their last Euro on that all wheel drive bmw.

...flat-landers! From the license plate it looks like those guys are from Hamburg - couple hundred miles from the closest mountains. They could have spent the extra money that they needed for gas on a decent roof rack or box instead. :biggthump But they probably spent their last Euro on that all wheel drive bmw.

Poor taste at that, the new Bimmer styling is hiddeous!!

Im sure its just like here, there are all kinds of americans, theres probably a few different kinds of germans...some of them take from the Parisian school of public relations!

So far we've managed to knock the Germans and the French. Why stop there? We have the Italians, Swiss, Austrians, Belgians, Slovacs, Finns, Swedes, and not to mention the Haitians, Cubans and Jamaicans.

What are the inhabitants of the Canary Islands called?

With all the inbreeding in the US that will be another great source of fodder. Speaking of fodder, we need that stuff for the cannons.

Lighten up, especially the way this thread is materializing. We have an Worldwide audience, and we have the BESTEST President in the Universe. I don't think we should be knocking anyone on nationalities, just stupidity.

So far we've managed to knock the Germans and the French. Why stop there? We have the Italians, Swiss, Austrians, Belgians, Slovacs, Finns, Swedes, and not to mention the Haitians, Cubans and Jamaicans.

What are the inhabitants of the Canary Islands called?

With all the inbreeding in the US that will be another great source of fodder. Speaking of fodder, we need that stuff for the cannons.

Lighten up, especially the way this thread is materializing. We have an Worldwide audience, and we have the BESTEST President in the Universe. I don't think we should be knocking anyone on nationalities, just stupidity.

Guess you didnt see that news article on the french being proud of their attitude.

Heres another story, when first started snowboarding I was like 13 or 14 or so at beaver creek, about 100ft from the base of the lifts I got stuck near a fence, had to dig out, so I unstrap, climb up to the hard pack with board in hand, drop the board on the ground, and it starts to slide away before I could catch it... it just slid down and hit a ski rack, nothing else, but it passes a couple ft away from some french guy, and he gets an attitude and start complaining, and doesnt let up, i was apologetic at first, but he just wouldnt shut up, and it got to the point where I was about to let him have it! :flamethro (ofcourse falling every 50ft down the mtn didnt put me in a good mood)

But what the hell, stereo types are Fun!!! :biggthump

Whose Culture is Best?

The Global Attitudes survey shows that people all over the world and of all ages are proud of their cultures. Yet it is only in the West (North America and Western Europe) where that pride is markedly stronger among the older generations, while younger people tend to be less wedded to their cultural identities.

In the U.S., 68% of those ages 65 and older agree with the statement "our people are not perfect, but our culture is superior," while only 49% of those ages 18-29 agree. The generation gap in Western Europe is similar. More than half of older Western Europeans (53%) are culturally chauvinistic, compared with only one-in-three (32%) of their younger counterparts. The difference between generations is particularly apparent in France, where only 21% of those under age 30 support the notion of cultural superiority while 56% of those aged 65 and older say French culture is superior.

Eastern Europeans overall are more likely than their Western counterparts to say that their culture is superior. However, generational differences are not as sharp or as consistent as those seen in the US and Western Europe. In Bulgaria, Russia and Ukraine, citizens of all ages agree about the superiority of their respective cultures. In the Czech Republic, Poland and Slovak Republic, there are differences in perspective across age groups.

I

So what does that all mean?

(nothing really... it's just a bunch of numbers...)

Anyways, no offense to any other country or culture, you're free to live how you want and all that, but I love my country and our culture and I wouldn't have it any other way. And I'm 23, so put that in your stats book...

Whose Culture is Best?

The Global Attitudes survey shows that people all over the world and of all ages are proud of their cultures. Yet it is only in the West (North America and Western Europe) where that pride is markedly stronger among the older generations, while younger people tend to be less wedded to their cultural identities.

In the U.S., 68% of those ages 65 and older agree with the statement "our people are not perfect, but our culture is superior," while only 49% of those ages 18-29 agree. The generation gap in Western Europe is similar. More than half of older Western Europeans (53%) are culturally chauvinistic, compared with only one-in-three (32%) of their younger counterparts. The difference between generations is particularly apparent in France, where only 21% of those under age 30 support the notion of cultural superiority while 56% of those aged 65 and older say French culture is superior.

Eastern Europeans overall are more likely than their Western counterparts to say that their culture is superior. However, generational differences are not as sharp or as consistent as those seen in the US and Western Europe. In Bulgaria, Russia and Ukraine, citizens of all ages agree about the superiority of their respective cultures. In the Czech Republic, Poland and Slovak Republic, there are differences in perspective across age groups.

I

Phunny thing is in my 60 years of living I have never found or known anyone who thinks the French culture is superior. I did meet one lady who " had the lights on but nobody was home" thought Paris was in Europe - not France. :freak3::smashfrea:confused:

I spent this last new years in a Cyprus hotel filled with Germain, Russians and Romanians, of the three the Germans were the most polite when smoking in front of you but the Romanians were the most fun to drink with :ices_ange . In the last 15 years I've spent more time out of the USA than in and my biggest complaint with groups of people is with my fellow Americans not other country's citizens.