Note to New Members ×

Anybody feels like riding in -20?

alexeyga

I'm planning on hitting the slope on Saturday's morning... :freak3: Yeah, I know, it's freaking cold, it's Saturday, but I want to ride and this weekend is rather busy for me... In case if anybody wants to join, i'm on Olympia at the opening... Will be lucky to last 4 hours...

After all I went on Saturday evening... -14, absolute hero snow, not too fast, holds like a mofo!!! Haven't seen such conditions for a while. Had awesome time carving and slicing the run. Strangely enough, most softbooters were trying to carve as well... I guess me and my g/f were ripping and showing everybody how to ride... :eplus2: Gotta love this race stock FP 173, it carves like no other, but demands so much work... Anyways, if you still sitting duck, get out and ride, these conditions won't last!!!! :biggthump

last weekend at Smuggler's Notch I was riding Madonna Mountain in -34 degree weather... get hand warmers, toe warmers, a face mask, and a scarf and you should be good:biggthump

One has to be desperate for snow to ride that cold... :biggthump At -15 I have to spend 20 mins every 3 runs warming up... toes mostly, standard liners are far from being warm... :mad: Eventually i'll spend some time and make neoprene socks for my boots... eventually... But I really can't imagine riding in -34...

Alex, I had to stop every 3-4 runs... I got a special funding for hot chocolate !!! :)

And I must admit I prefered Le Massif to Tremblant. Slopes are wider, longer (in my opinion) and the view is simply spectacular. You ride in front of the St-Lawrence. One thing though: they don't make as much artificial snow as Tremblant does, but it is usually not a problem, unless this winter.

The best part of it is that the main Lodge and services are located at the summit. You park your car, buy your ticket and you are ready to run down the hill. No waste of time getting cold in the chairs before the first run !!! :biggthump

And they only serve healthy food (except for pizza), which means no french fries, poutine or hamburger. For 14$, you get the daily menu, which, I must admit, was really good for a ski resort. It's way better than paying 16$ at Tremblant for a sandwich, a soup and a yogurt !

B.t.w. somebody promised to post some pics... :rolleyes:

In some other thread I've said, the only time i've been in Tremblant was the last time as well... didn't like it at all except some runs on the back of the mountain... Thanks for the feedback on Massif, i'll definitely hit it this season!

What board should I bring? A freecarver or something faster?

Le Massif is the nicest mountain in Québec for the view, but the slopes are pretty steep on average. It is not really a carving mountain, but it is good for freeriding when there is lots of snow. Most of the slopes are wide (wider than in the Laurentians, but not as wide as out West). The top chalet is new from a couple of years ago. When I first went (1995), they only had a chalet at the bottom, which was at least 30 minutes more driving. The chalet on top reduces the driving distance a lot. The last time I went (2001), we booked for 4 days and we got 4 days of icy slopes (and some other issues), so I have to go back to replace the bad memories. I'll if I can dig up the pics I took back then (I will need to scan them).