Note to New Members ×

Boise area help (newbee needs help)

Guest squat

Howdy!

As I looked up from my 10th face plant of the day at Bogus, I saw a hardbooter scream by me tearing it up. At that point I knew I was in the wrong equipment learning the wrong style of snowboarding (I couldn't find him at the base or I'd be asking my questions to him).

It didn't take long to find this site and become excited at what lies ahead for me.

I am posting to ask if there are any retailers in the Boise area that sells the equipment necessary to get started? I know there are pleanty of websites selling stuff, but especially as a newbee, I am a hands on person and I would like to look before buying.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Squat..

Welcome to BOL!!

Keep in mind few consider hardbooting more forgiving that soft boot snowboarding. Assuming that is what you are doing now.

Hooking up with a experienced rider is the key.

Enjoy!!

You will find a wealth of info through searching the BOL Forum and many well written articles.

Thanks for the welcome.

I used to be a skateboard carver (25+ yrs ago), if you can image carving down long steep streets on a skateboard. I just got back into skiing last year after 15 year break raising kids and couldn't resist trying snowboarding this year.

After my first lesson, and a few practice sessions on my own, I was hooked. I stink and fall more than ride, but its the price to pay. Even with a very little time on a snowboard, I am finding that the soft boots feel mushy and unsupportive when I try to get up on an edge to turn.

After seeing all of the video clips on line, and seeing first hand what hardboots and a carving board can do, I feel I need to make a move.

Anyhow, I have to start someplace. I'll continue to read all the articles I can, study all the riding on videos, review equipment, make my list, and track down my needs.

Take care!

Squat.

If you'd like to ride with a group of other hardbooters, why not come out to Oregon Expression Session, March 8 - 11 at Mt Bachelor near Bend, OR?

www.oregones.com

Beginners are totally welcome, if you're interested in coming let me know what size boots you need and I can try and help you find something appropriate if you don't already have 'em yourself.

If you are really itchin', drop on down to the Wasatch Trenchin' Convention this Thursday through Sunday in the Salt Lake City area. http://hardbooter.com/wtc/

Then in early March, you can head to the Oregon Expression Session at Mt Bachelor.

I am fairly new to hardbooting and I can promise you that it is invaluble to find other riders to help you along.

Unfortunately, there are few shops aroung the country that actually carry alpine gear.

Thanks for the offer, I'd like to take you up it.

I work on State St. down by 33rd across the street from KFC/Subway at the Transportation Dept.

If you wanted to meet on a weekend or some day after work I would just need a day or so notice to make sure I am free. I live out in Middleton so some days I carpool and don't have my own vehicle.

If you don't mind, I would rather meet you off of the mountain just to check out equipment, meet and greet if this is ok with you. Just let me know.

I still have a couple of hours of snowboard lessons lined up at Bogus so I am trying to get up there as much as possible in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks,

Squat aka Jeff

Hello, just wanted to say hi. I'm a new carver in Boise, trying to get to the point where I can carve all the way down on easy slopes. I'm getting better, but am far from where I need to be. Had a good day today on the mountain today, I'm getting close! Let me know if you're interested in practicing/learning/waiting for/or teaching with a beginner. I prefer weekday mornings to go up to Bogus/Brundage or Tamarack? (Haven't been there yet). I'm glad I got into carving!

DJ T

• 2 weeks later...
Guest theduckllr

Welcome to the party guys! I just got back from Chicago this morning and read this. I've had some great days up on the hill this past month. It's entirely possible that I was the one that flew by you as I was up there 2 weeks ago for 20k of vertical. I'm in Eagle, and up there every other weekend (at minimum) and I do a few night carves during the week. I'll be aiming for tuesday night or wed night this week if any of you want to come play (I have the Uberskicar if you need a ride).

I'll even go easy on the new guys. :eplus2:

Howdy again! I've been off of the computer for a couple of weeks-got busy.

I need to apoligize for not posting a reply & a hello. I am glad to meet all of you.

Over the last few weeks I have managed to get more snowboard lessons completed and I can finally get down the coach run without much trouble. My last lesson will be on the more advanced runs this weekend.

Since my last posting I have ordered a board, boots and bindings which hopefully will all arrive before the end of the week. Once I complete my last lesson this weekend, and if there is still snow at Bogus, I plan to take up my hardboot setup and give it a try. I will probably shoot for a night sesson during the week of Feb 20-23 to avoid the crowds.

Gotta run-lunch break is over.

Talk to you soon!

Jeff -squat

Guest theduckllr

A couple of weeks worth of lessons and only just now you are getting down the coach?!? WTF?!? I've been doing private lessons for decades and it's never taken more then two days for any student to safely navigate intermediate runs. Time for you to go ask for your money back.. eeesh.

The good news is that now that you learned in soft boots, you will have to throw away much of you learned in order to carve. :p I'll be up for joining you on friday the 23rd if you are up for it.

Andrew

Yeah - soft boots are not a lot of help, but they are forgiving and they will teach you smooth transitions. If you can get to where you can make a quick transition from the old edge to the new (in 1 - 2 board lengths) and apply the edge pressure smoothly and progressively so you carve a clean, narrow track you're most of the way there. Skidding or lurching onto a new edge often as not gets a vicious chatter started. You can ease into a fairly tight carved turn on soft gear - not as hard and tight as on carving gear, but very gratifying. You will hear and feel the difference - smooth and quiet, not noisy and rough.

You have to feel out the edges on any board - find out where the pressure needs to be to initiate a turn, to settle into the groove, and to finish the turn (usually starting the next turn). Be patient, work to reduce skidding more and more as you get familiar with the board (and the new skill), try holding the highest traverse line you can ( a little speed helps a LOT).

Be aware of boot-out. If you have a lot of overhang, you'll tend to crash a lot when you try laying it over. Soft boots may require a wider board and low stance angles (and some risk to your calf muscles) to get the tilt you need without dragging yer dogs.

There are lots of variables in the setup and in how you ride. If you can hook up with an AASI instructor certified at least Level II he/she should have a good idea how to at least teach you the basics of cruiser carving on soft gear. Lots of instructors are fairly gifted jibbers at best, and aren't going to be able to teach you much beyond park/pipe skills. Not to slam the playpen, but I've never understood how one can spend a whole day banging off of playground apparatus when there's a perfectly good mountain right there. Not that I mind - it leaves more room out there on the hill.

Anyway - give it enough time for your bod to figure it out. It's different, but edges are edges (not wheels!) and it'll click pretty soon. Have a great time. I started at 40 and am still having a blast at 54.

Regards

Dennis

But I do know Squat.

And he is a nice guy.

Hey I miss the riding too. That was fun that day. I may venture out in day or two to put in some teaching time. I have periods of time now where it doesn't hurt like hell so I may have to give it a go.

Thanks for asking. One of these days Steve is going to get the raw video from last year for me to edit.

:biggthump

Carvedog-sorry I am not the squat you know. I am much uglier and lower to the ground.

Andrew- I am not sure if I'll be able to get up to Bogus this week so please don't make any plans on my account. My wife and kids are cooking up some plans and my attendence may be mandatory. I'll try to keep you posted.

Thanks, Jeff.

Carvedog-sorry I am not the squat you know. I am much uglier and lower to the ground.

No Jeff, you should see this other guy. I think he would definitely take you on both counts.

The fact that you are married and have kids means he's got you on the ugly and unless you walk around like a crab, he probably has you on the low to the ground.

All the best with the learning curve,

Jerry

Guest theduckllr

Andrew- I am not sure if I'll be able to get up to Bogus this week so please don't make any plans on my account. My wife and kids are cooking up some plans and my attendence may be mandatory. I'll try to keep you posted.

Thanks, Jeff.

Regardless of your prior history of physical abuse at the hands of a vengeful creator who was armed with an ugly stick, and your genetic predisposition toward dwarfism, feel free to contact me directly at theduckllr@yahoo.com for your next carve fix. :p

FWIW: I just picked up an extra trenching tool (the exwife's 164 Goofy Asym Burton Alp in great shape). So you new goofy Boise area riders looking to give carving a try might find this useful in addition to Jeff #1's (aka: Mellow Jonny) extensive arsenal. It's got a pretty soft flex (compared to my Factory Prime anyway), short radius cut, and twin tips to keep you out of too much trouble.