Note to New Members ×

Head Stratos Pro and BTS

D-Sub

so I searched, and only found one thread with one rider's input as to how to do this.

anyone else have experience?

Im getting ready to drill my SP's and am wondering...how do I find the correct location to drill the hole at the top and get it to line up properly with the mounting hole in the BTS?

Don't have the boots, so take it for what's it's worth.

I'd:

1) Take the boots with the old locking mechanism in place in whatever position you ride and mark the boot with a marker so you know how much forward lean the boot has normally (or if you know you definitely want more or less forward lean mark that location).

2) Assemble the BTS and loosen the nuts all the way without exposing any interior nut threads (loosen meaning outward from center; letting springs expand as much as possible). However long the BTS is at this point is its neutral position.

3) Take out old locking mechanism from boots.

4) Bend boot so forward lean matches your marks.

5) Line up BTS and drill wherever the holes are.

From that location you have the most options to adjust things later (you can apply more preload by tightening both nuts, or add or reduce forward lean by tightening one nut or the other).

How about this... Take the completely assembled BTS and run the bottom pin through it only. Take the end of the pin and just barely stick it in bottom

hole but on the outside of the channel where the BTS will sit. Swing the BTS into position and get the cuff set where you want it. Take something thin and pointy and stick it through the top hole on the BTS and mark the position of the top hole on the outside of the boot. Remove the BTS from that position, correctly drill your hole and then install everything inside the channel. Hope that makes sense. I don't have a pair of SP's but that may work.

WVRocks is a smart man. Smarter than I am at least. Your idea worked perfectly.

the results...well...getting a clean hole like the one at the bottom is impossible, and on my first try the BTS shifted a little so it isnt flush against the back of the boot, but we're talkin like 2 mm if that.

I just used threaded stainless bolts to fix in place. Some pins are on order through bomber, so we'll see once it is finalized

thanks for the brainwork, wvrocks.

edit: pics

WVRocks is a smart man. Smarter than I am at least. Your idea worked perfectly.

the results...well...getting a clean hole like the one at the bottom is impossible, and on my first try the BTS shifted a little so it isnt flush against the back of the boot, but we're talkin like 2 mm if that.

I just used threaded stainless bolts to fix in place. Some pins are on order through bomber, so we'll see once it is finalized

thanks for the brainwork, wvrocks.

edit: pics

Damn..... those springs look sexy.. :1luvu:

• 2 weeks later...

worked fine for me. that's how I did mine.

also, for pins:

http://www.bomberonline.com/store/boots/parts_pins.cfm

you want the long ones for the top. I used the stock ones for the bottom, although they are much smaller than the 5mm hole in the BTS. You could drill out the bottom hole, too, and the stock spring system will fit on the new 5mm pins if you knock out the little machined aluminum spacer.

so I searched, and only found one thread with one rider's input as to how to do this.

anyone else have experience?

Im getting ready to drill my SP's and am wondering...how do I find the correct location to drill the hole at the top and get it to line up properly with the mounting hole in the BTS?

Hi,Dave

May be you can do something with this topic. There are tons of pics of modifying that boot:Head Stratos Pro Mod Topic

Hope you will succeed.

worked fine for me. that's how I did mine.

also, for pins:

http://www.bomberonline.com/store/boots/parts_pins.cfm

you want the long ones for the top. I used the stock ones for the bottom, although they are much smaller than the 5mm hole in the BTS. You could drill out the bottom hole, too, and the stock spring system will fit on the new 5mm pins if you knock out the little machined aluminum spacer.

Edit: Nevermind Ralann answered it for me...makes sense now.