Note to New Members ×

Softer freeride board with ~9m sidecut?

zoltan

I have a Donek Incline 160 that I really like, but it's really stiff and I usually ride it on soft boots, so it really takes a toll over a day. I'm starting to look for a softer flexing board that's a little wider for lower angles, but still has that bigger sidecut that I like in about a 160 length (Donek Pheonix?) for a little more versatility and for multi-day trips.

I have a 157 K2 Recon Riser that has about the perfect flex for what I'm looking for.

Also, does anyone know how stiff a Ride Timeless is compared to the Incline?

Ride timeless and if you have a size 11 or bigger foot the Yukon are great boards for but if you wanna take it to the next level get one of the smaller tankers

all of the above are totally different animals than a incline softer and more forgiving and easier to handle

I have a Donek Incline 160 that I really like, but it's really stiff and I usually ride it on soft boots, so it really takes a toll over a day. I'm starting to look for a softer flexing board that's a little wider for lower angles, but still has that bigger sidecut that I like in about a 160 length (Donek Pheonix?) for a little more versatility and for multi-day trips.

I have a 157 K2 Recon Riser that has about the perfect flex for what I'm looking for.

Also, does anyone know how stiff a Ride Timeless is compared to the Incline?

A Ride Timeless is much less stiff than a Donek Incline (pretty much any freeride board is). I used to ride a Donek Incline 155 and then switched to a Phoenix 155 for the very same reasons you are looking some something softer (the Incline would work me over, especially in trees and powder). The Phoenix is much easier to handle and is very versatile, my problem with it is the sidecut is too short (turns too tightly and feels less stable because it), it's also really lightweight so to me it felt like a 152. If you want a Phoenix that rides "somewhat" like you Incline, you will need to go for the 165 variant.

Another option is the Tanker 172. It is extremely light (it's lighter than you Donek Incline by by nearly half a pound despite being 6 inches longer). Has a mellow, forgiving flex, can eat up the powder, carve a mean turn (~9m SCR)... etc... let me know if you are interested in one as I have one for sale (getting a splitboard instead for BC powder).

timeless and yukon are soft and under me @ 250 the biggest sizes are slightly sloppy but if you're lighter than me they would probably be perfect in the large sizes they are also better on ice than my 03 tanker that said I like the tanker better on everything but ice

I have had a couple yukons and there is nothing bad about them I just wish they made it in pow gun size like 180 or so

I ride the Palmer 161 Honeycomb for freeriding and love it. It has their "klothoid" sidecut shape which feels similar to the donek incline's shape(rode that before getting this board). It's definitely a bit more "open minded" than the Donek. It'll do skidded turns, carves, bumps....whatever you tell it to do where as the donek felt like it wanted to carve all the time in everything(not a bad thing, but not what I want in a freeride board) and you had to tell it not too.

Just my 2cents....