Note to New Members ×

Do stiff bindings destroy Burton boards?

kmagvette

I was poking around the web and stumbled into a few posts suggesting that bindings like the TD1 have been blamed for boards failing. Any truth to this rumor? I was considering putting some on a Burton Speed if I find a decent deal.

For context. I still consider myself a beginner, moving up (I hope) from a FP 151. I really don't need TDs, but they sure look sweet.

I have a Volkl Renn Tiger 06 model that appears to have something going on directly underneath my plate front. I have Cateks. One day I noticed the front plate appeared to be loose. After I retightened the screws there still seemed to be some play. I removed the plate and noticed that the topsheet had a very slight bulge. When the plate is mounted the bottom surface bottoms out on the topsheet instead of the elatomer ring. When I push down hard near the inserts it feels like it might be delaminating but I can't be sure.

Anyone know if something like that is repairable?

I have a Volkl Renn Tiger 06 model that appears to have something going on directly underneath my plate front. I have Cateks. One day I noticed the front plate appeared to be loose. After I retightened the screws there still seemed to be some play. I removed the plate and noticed that the topsheet had a very slight bulge. When the plate is mounted the bottom surface bottoms out on the topsheet instead of the elatomer ring. When I push down hard near the inserts it feels like it might be delaminating but I can't be sure.

Anyone know if something like that is repairable?

If it's delaminating you can use a coin and lightly tap the area...to see what extent your delam is... you'll hear the change in pitch when you tap - Delam is hollow...

get a marker and draw where you follow the potential delam area...

Could be that the inserts are delaminating from the core....

Get Ye to a very good repair shop.....

The article by Fin that ZZYCanuck linked to makes sense. The conclusion I drew is that stiff bindings are more likely to wreak havoc on a softer board than a firmer board, assuming equally well installed inserts.

In my untrained mind: the edge under the bindings has the most weight on it when locked in a turn. When the board hits a bump or the nose grabs, the area from the shovel to the front binding is free to flex (may not be good for the rider) to absorb the energy - this ability decreases as the energy approaches the bindings.

When the energy gets to the bindings, the force the rider is exerting on the board does not allow any more energy to be absorbed by the board, so it must be transmitted to the bindings. Since the board is unable to flex further, this transmission is an impulse - all the energy transmitted to the bindings in a very short period of time. Snap.

A stiff board would begin transmitting the energy to the binding earlier thereby reducing the magnitude of the impulse at the binding.

Time to start drinking...

I've got a '99 Salomon FRS 165 with TD1 step ins. I noticed about 2" from the edge of the disk (just off of the rear bumper) that there is a about a 1" diameter compression spot. Could that be delaminating in that spot? I took a pretty good hit to the edge and base last January out west and thought I did a good job repairing it. My guess is the two aren't related but I'm still concerned. Maybe it will give me reason to buy a Coiler.