Note to New Members ×

No luck with the boots

CuoreSprv

Am I doing something wrong and alpine gods just hate me?

Third paid of boots in several years and I still can't find the ones that fit me.

I did the trick with the piece of cardboard and found my MP size (somewhere between 26-26.5) So today I get my new boots that I got off eBay (used once so no packing in liner) Blax dsm something. And I can feel that liner is short but shell is big enough. I don't really think that's the liners are moldable and I can feel that toes are squished together.. should I just sell them and just get 27? Get a new liners?

ffb6_12.JPG

Two things you might try

1) a thinner sock such as a nylon liner although you did not mention what you had on. Just a suggestion.

2) remove the liner, insert your foot to see if the shell you have is correct for your foot. Check the how to but I believe you want 1 to 1.5 finger widths clearence behind the heel area when your toes are all the way forward. If the shell is correct them maybe a moldable liner is the answer?

I'm not sure how those Blax boots work. Raichle shells come in whole sizes, and each size fits the liner and its half size, ie a 26 shell takes a 26 or 26.5 liner.

If you get moldable liner, you have to remold them if you switch boots, because the outside of the liner also gets molded. You can do it up to 6 times with Thermoflex liners.

I had MP 30 shells and needed 30.5 liners but couldn't find any, the only thing the ski store had that would fit me was the conform'able foam injected liners.

btw, when I measured my mondo point and got boots of eBay, they were also too small (I measured 29) I think you should add 1 to what you measure or something.

I've used a thermoflex liner with that shell (Blax) and they turned out a really great medium stiffness boot. I'm actual foot size 27.4 cm and the Blax shell I use is 26.0 Mondo. I used a 26 mondo thermoflex liner. Sounds like you are one size down from me.

You should understand that the boots should be a tight fit with thin socks ( that is toes touching) at first. It is alarming how fast liners pack in. If it's not a little uncomfortable at first, you will regret it latter.

BobD

1 to 2 finger shell test is key! I'm on my fourth pair of boots now and I'm working on my 3rd season on plates. Very happy so far with my current boots (Head Stratos Pro's).

I first measured my feet via the advised paper/pen trace method and that was a huge mistake. It's way too inaccurate-so much room for error! At best it gives you a general idea of what you'll need. Doing the 1-2 finger shell test will ensure you get the right sized shell which IMHO is most important since liners can be replaced/remolded/custom fit etc. So if you're at 1.5 fingers you should be on the right track to properly fitted boots.

The second thing I would consider would be width if you have wide feet. Deeluxe (Raichle) boots did NOT work out for me as they were way too narrow. I had them punched and they still weren't even close to the Head's. Burton boots were a complete joke for me as they seemed to be narrower than the Deeluxe shells.

Also throw out the stock footbeds and get some custom ones. Even the Superfeet vacuum mold ones at REI for like $30 bucks are light years ahead of the stock footbeds.

If you can afford it skip the BS and head to a Surefoot. Hardbooter.com has a nice article on foam injected liners and they guarantee their work. Just make sure you're happy with the shells before you take the $400-500 plunge...

I would strongly suggest you don't go bigger until you have exhausted the possibilities with the smaller size; I have an almost 29cm foot, and I ride 27.5s; my ankles are a bit on the bony side, so even with moldables I prefer to work on making the smaller size fit like a gggaaaaaaalove than going bigger, which is more comfortable initially, but quickly gets old with heel left, slop and so on.

Foot beds stop your foot from collapsing and spreading, well worth it.

Thin socks; there is one brand I have at home that I bought last trip in USA than is really really thin, ultramax I think it was. That helps; I have wide toes, and thin ankles.

Last, get the liner out, and have a look at it. There may be a seam, it maybe can be packed out. You can use a boot fitter, and they might do it for you, and I would definitely consider that if you get moldable liners, which i don't think your boot has.

If you want to do your own effort first, thread the boot onto a lined vice or something solid inside like a l;ump of round metal, then just use a hammer and bash all the seams and the foam. It is a rudimentary way to pack out the foam. Many boot fitters will go for stretching the shell, but actually that is a lot more effort and the cruddy plastic snowboard boots are made out of means they usually end up not staying that way without multiple stretches. Worth doing, and couple it with the 'forced pack out' hammer system and you'll go from where I was (unable to have the boot on for more than 5 minutes without being in considerable fore foot pain) to all day comfort. And it only took like 10 minutes.

If you do this all around the toe box, you will pack out all that foam wedged up there, and that should give you quite a bit more room.

If it doesn't work, get a set of moldables, but bear in mind I had to do this exact thing with molded liners, there simply wasn't enough room.

Anyone know the lifespan of cork insoles?

Mine still work but they're REALLY old ('81? '82?)

Looks like they last longer than the plastic ones... :biggthump Just don't get them out of the liners too often...

looks like the shell is definately my size...

will suffer for a few days and actually it's much better with my other think socks

If shells are comfy - keep them, but I'd replace the liners...