Note to New Members ×

Does this band exist?

Jack M

I was just working and listening to some techno (house, ambient, electronica, whatever you want to call it - great for heads down programming), specifically Switch/Twitch by Fluke as was recommended by someone in that carving mix thread.... and I was thinking how great it would be to see an actual band perform this kind of music live, on real instruments (and keyboards), in real time. Does such a band exist?? I suppose Blue Man Group qualifies, any others?

99% of "live" electronic music is 99% not-live. I was in that scene for quite some time and the majority of "live" performances are very much pre-programmed and often simply playing back from tape or hard disk.

Roni Size/ reprazent did live DnB combining sampling and live instrumentation, and plenty of other people do, too but keep in mind that the majority of electronic stuff is one or two dudes...impossible to reproduce live.

I heard that the DnB duo Pendulum do a wicked live set, but no idea on details.

Hybrid, yes, definitely...a lot of BTs stuff is pre-recorded too. Electronic music simply doesnt translate the same as bass/guitar/drums...

Fluke is cool, though, Jack!

Fluke is pretty cool, I must admit.

Try DJ Champion. The guy comes from Montreal and I think he is amazing. Not totally techno/house and that kind of thing, but reaaaaally good

http://www.djchampion.net/fr/video.php?video=8

But like D-Sub said, a lot of it is pre programed. But Champions does a lot of live shows.

Enjoy ! :lurk:

I don't even know if they are still around, but I saw Nitzer Ebb at San Diego State about 15 years age and they put on an awesome show. Got to meet Tony Hawk there so that was a bonus. Erasure also puts on a durn good live show.

LIve aye?

Well, a bit tough to get fully live; you have the whole MC thing which is in Drum and bass/Garage now, with a guy on tables and up to 4 people yelling over the top; seems far too much like going to a rap concert, I love dNb but hate MCs with a passion. With a couple of exceptions:

DJ Marky and Stamina MC

LTJ Bukem and MC Conrad

they make the music; by comparision if you want to hear what I hate, the best of a very bad bunch (and there are some horrors) is MC Skibbadee; I HATE that guy. And the worst thing is he is always MCing with my favrouite DJs like DJ SS, A Sides, Shy FX and so on. Tosser that he is.

For live Drum and Bass, Pendulum I think do a live set, in so far as they have keyboards and machines and computers all lined up to do so. If you want to know the Pendulum sound, check out some of their prodigy remixes; there is another great track of theirs I forgot now it goes in the breakdown

dummmm da dum dum dumdum dumdum

duuuum dadum dum dadum dum dum

D-Sub will know the one I mean. maybe? Tarantula is another great track.

I know that the EZ Rollers also will do a live set; the Lady Roller does live vocals, and i (think) they have some studio musicians playing keyboards and stuff; maybe sax. I haven't ever seen it myself, but I would consider EZ ROllers to be probably one of the most musical of DnB. Hospital Records also have some live act nights; I can only guess at what this is like; mostly the cost of moving around and people means this is all centred in the UK. Hospital is definitely where the more musical side of Drum and bass is right now IMHO, whereas Pendulum/Concord Dawn (another NZ act willing to play live AFAIK) are on the harder side, and then you have some much harder stuff around, but that isn't my thing.

For techno/trance, I have heard a live act called Der Dreit Ruem, which in German I understands means the 3rd room. DUnker, I know german :-) They played live in NZ when I was young; I remember being excited and then having to wait until, I kid you not, 7am for them to come on stage. Worth every minute; banks and banks of computers and keyboards; not sure how much is live; I think a fair bit; they seemed to have large amounts of bonk bonk bonkbonkbonk type sounds; brilliant.

Jack....try getting some downloads from here:

www dot dnb-sets dot de/?set=32174

(replace dots with one of these . and you should be good to go).

Strongly recommend high contrast, marcus INtalex, the liquid stuff is good too; if you want something harder try Ed Rush Optical; they are the best of the big bass sound IMHO.

you mean like The New Deal?

http://www.amazon.com/New-Deal/dp/B00005OACF

seen 'em at berkfest years ago rockin' good time

The New Deal are great!! Never seen them live, but been listening to them for several years. also check out www.archive.org they have thousands of live shows for download including 144 from The New Deal. The Disco Biscuits are another band to check out. they have a jamband style but are heavily influenced by electronic/trance music.

If you search the music genre "livetronica", you'll come up with a bunch of other bands that fit that style.