Note to New Members ×

How many times can you remove pins on Raichle boots?

skategoat

I have one BTS kit but I want to try it on two different boots. Plus, I want to experiment with different springs. I would think since the pins are held in only by friction, there is a finite limit to the number of times you can punch them out and then re-insert. Is this something to worry about?

Also, which way do you punch the pins? I want to try this on both the blue and gold AF700s and the orange Indys.

I have reinstalled the pins on mine twice, seems to be still secure.

The pins have knurling on one end so when you punch them out make sure the rough end comes out from it's original side. If the hole gets loose you still have the other pristine side to secure the rough end with.

My apologies if the explanaiton is confusing, maybe someone else can be of more help. :confused:

i was gonna say the exact same thing as James. one thing to do, is the first time you punch the pins out, sharpie the end with the knurling or make some kind of marking. it would probably shorten the life of your boots if you punched the knurling the whole way through to the other side...

Punch the pin out just a little bit (maybe 1/4 inch)

If you don't see the knurling, punch it towards the other side. The difference should be easy to see.

Remember NOT to punch the knurled end out all the way through the non knurled side.

Btw i have used the same side the rough end came out of twice and still seems to be holding.

The direction of the knurled end is not always the same - please see this thread: http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=6995

kjl and I both commented on this on page 4 of that thread.

I've probably removed and reinserted my pins on my Suzukas 5 times and they've never budged on their own. (Trying various BTS spring combos... I've done blue all around for a while now) I've seen others who have never removed theirs, have their pins hanging halfway out while riding.

I just installed my BTS. What else to do on a rainy Saturday in January? My knurls were on the outside. I punched from the inside-out. I also noticed that the knurled end of the pins protruded a bit more out of the plastic than the smooth end. That should be an indicator of the direction in which you want to punch the pins.

Installation went without incident but after I installed and performed a carpet test, the clouds did not part, angels did not sing. In other words, I noticed a small difference on forward flex and virtually none on rearward flex. This on a pair of Indys formerly with RAB springs. We'll have to see how they perform on snow.

that's been my experience with most things snowboarding....carpet surfing tells me almost nothing about how it's going to work. Sometimes it leads me to believe something is good when in reality isn't sooooo bad that it hurts on the snow. Case in point my binding angles...carpet said 57/54 was good...snow says 51/48...knees much happier now. Take tools and adjust on snow

that's been my experience with most things snowboarding....carpet surfing tells me almost nothing about how it's going to work. Sometimes it leads me to believe something is good when in reality isn't sooooo bad that it hurts on the snow. Case in point my binding angles...carpet said 57/54 was good...snow says 51/48...knees much happier now. Take tools and adjust on snow

No problem. Send snow.