Note to New Members ×

Whoah! Surf Rodz is up to something

Jack M

Looks like those wheels would be fun on my Loaded Pintail in this:

RDY...that's not fair...man do I miss some things about living in the southwest...desert pipes anyone? Used to ride in the arroyos in Pasadena when I was in school out there.

Still want to do the Haleakela downhill on a skate!!

RDY...that's not fair...man do I miss some things about living in the southwest...desert pipes anyone? Used to ride in the arroyos in Pasadena when I was in school out there.

Still want to do the Haleakala downhill on a skate!!

I agree...way cruel for snow deprived folks, The only way I would do the Haleakala downhill on a skateboard would be with slide board and gloves. I did that hill on my personal bicycle once and its way way too fast for any carving boards. Mind you that would be an awesome run for sliding, just really long

... Where the f#@k is that drainage!?!??

I'm buying a plane ticket as soon as you tell me!

Those wheels look like the ones you'd find on a BMW Streetcarver (turns great... muderous speed wobble) or the old Schmitt Turbines. Metal cores are dope. Now all we need are some spinners on them.

Indian School ditch in Albuquerque, New Mexico

It's ~two miles of the smoothest transitions you'll ever ride...

BTW you suck.....that looks like fun, now I have to figure out a reason to go there for a vacation and how to sell it to my wife :smashfrea

I agree...way cruel for snow deprived folks, The only way I would do the Haleakala downhill on a skateboard would be with slide board and gloves. I did that hill on my personal bicycle once and its way way too fast for any carving boards. Mind you that would be an awesome run for sliding, just really long

This guy did it on a dirtsurfer:

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=13879

...they have brakes of course. I'm sure if you had a turny enoiugh skate you could control your speed - need a forerunner vehicle thoug for traffic safety!

This guy did it on a dirtsurfer:

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=13879

...they have brakes of course. I'm sure if you had a turny enoiugh skate you could control your speed - need a forerunner vehicle thoug for traffic safety!

Sorry that road is tooo steep and not wide enough for a turny/carve board pre/fore runner or not. A slide board would give the skater much more control to get around corners and stay stable

Not to mention long... I think that having to go turny to scrub speed would tire you out so quick that you wouldn't make it to the end of the mountain. As it is it seems like it'd be a chore.

Not a chore - a challenge. Personally, I NEVER say I can't do something until I try it for myself, sometimes multiple times and with adjustments to the plan, techniques and equipment - and I do it regardless of who says I can't or thinks I can't...so far (44 years) that has worked out quite well, and taken me places I never thought I'd go. Not discounting other posters here - this is just my own way. :)

To each his own.

yup but I've ridden Haleakala Hi-way down to Kekaulike Ave (6000 feet or so of drop) and then turned and did the mellower part of it for a bit. though in truth the roads around Makawao are the best surface wise for skating and there are a couple above it the would be awesome for DH's as they are in a realy quiet neighborhood

Not a chore - a challenge. Personally, I NEVER say I can't do something until I try it for myself, sometimes multiple times and with adjustments to the plan, techniques and equipment - and I do it regardless of who says I can't or thinks I can't...so far (44 years) that has worked out quite well, and taken me places I never thought I'd go. Not discounting other posters here - this is just my own way. :)

I didn't mean to say you or anybody else couldn't do it. I was just saying that a slider seems like it'd be easier to control after 22 miles of riding.

I just don't want to see in the headlines that a well known carver lost control due to fatigue and rode his board over a cliff...

Looks like those wheels would be fun on my Loaded Pintail in this:

isditchuv4.jpg

woohoooo! Man...I dont think anywhere in the world beats NM for ditches!

do cops roust you a lot? If dip****s would lay off the spray paint it wouldnt be as much.

that looks fun. even on a "regular" boring old skateboard!

Well I don't have anything to compare it to but I know people come from all over the US to ride ABQ ditches.

Never been harassed for riding in the ditches and the spray paint is a non-issue. You'll see all kinds of kids, adults, etc. riding all the time. Bikes, boards, rollerblades, pretty much anything that rolls on wheels.

If you can get 3+ people and a truck/suv it's awesome to take runs with one person alternating driving. Normally I go ride with my brother-in-law and we'll find a group of people that are doing runs and they'll let us pile in the truck with them so we get free "lifts".

The only downside is that every bit of water eventually drains into the ditch, so if somebody decides to wash their car or whatever then the ditch will have water in it. But normally it's dry considering the desert climate. Only had a handful of outings ruined by water in the ditch. And even then we usually just ride on the sidewalk.

The thing that sets Indian School apart from every other place is the smooth transitions. Most other ditches I have rode in had more angled transitions. Also these are the small walls-the upper portion has about 5 more feet of walls on either side. This is a fast ditch too if you want it to be or you can just pump the walls and control your speed if you don't want to bomb it.

If you're ever passing through it's definately worth looking into!

yup but I've ridden Haleakala Hi-way down to Kekaulike Ave (6000 feet or so of drop) and then turned and did the mellower part of it for a bit. though in truth the roads around Makawao are the best surface wise for skating and there are a couple above it the would be awesome for DH's as they are in a realy quiet neighborhood

My friends I stay with out there live in Makawao - I agree...it's some sort of DH skateboard heaven!!

I didn't mean to say you or anybody else couldn't do it. I was just saying that a slider seems like it'd be easier to control after 22 miles of riding.

I just don't want to see in the headlines that a well known carver lost control due to fatigue and rode his board over a cliff...

No worries...and the slider WOULD be easier for sure. What I really should do is learn to ride a dirtsurfer so I have braking ability...or FINALLY develop a relaible skateboard braking system. This friction brake things are dangerous and wear out your wheels...but this has got me thinking - looks like those surf-rods mags could be re-designed or modified to incorporate a mini hydraulic disc brake system...hmmmmm. :)