Note to New Members ×

Is the Malolo a low camber board?

zoltan

My used Malolo arrived last night, and it looks like it's in really good shape - hardly used. I did notice, though, that the board has very little camber, probably between 5 to 8 mm. All my other boards have a lot more than that. Is this normal for a Malolo? It's last years (before the jibtastic new graphics).

All of my pow decks (Tanker 192, 4807 178, wife's Fish 150) never had much camber. All were still in shrinkwrap when I acquired them. Methinks it's by design - presumably to give a more surfy feel? At any rate, I don't think there is any cause for concern. FWIW some of my favorite FC and race decks have less than 1cm of camber.

Guest sandarapark

since were on this subject....just wanted to know if the NS premier suppose to have a camber about .5 cm? i got one last year and uptil now the camber is still the same after riridding it forlike 10 days

since we're all talking about camber...

is ~ 3mm of camber normal for a prior atv (about 15 days on it so far)? that doesn't seem like much at all, especially compared to my donek fc1 (never ridden yet) which has about 11-13mm of camber.

i was expecting the donek to have a lot of camber, but i wasn't expecting my atv to have so little.

Guest sierra

My Malolo has very little camber as well (even when new). I don't think it's anything to worry about. Burton also makes these with a negative core profile to make them flexy between the feet. Mine has about 50 days on it and it's still plenty spunky between the turns. IMO the Malolo is one of the most fun all-round soft boards ever and virtually impossible to beat in the soft stuff.

Snow......I sorta remember what that is.... :(

Its pretty normal for pow boards and skis to have very little camber. My 4807 has 5-6mm... Spattula skis have reverse camber and reverse side cut!?!

However, that ATV doesn't sound right, that's more of an AM carver. Dave* can chime in here...

However, that ATV doesn't sound right, that's more of an AM carver. Dave* can chime in here...

Yeah, that's what i was worried about.

is there anything in particular that could ruin the camber of a board other than riding hard for a lot of days? too many speed check hockey type stops maybe? i was doing a lot of straight lining (and less carving) on it in softboots last year before i figured out what carving was.

Yeah, that's what i was worried about.

is there anything in particular that could ruin the camber of a board other than riding hard for a lot of days? too many speed check hockey type stops maybe? i was doing a lot of straight lining (and less carving) on it in softboots last year before i figured out what carving was.

there's a good bit of reading on www.alpinecarving.com

When storing them in the summer (Boards that is) with the top sheet facing down, support the nose and tail where they upturn to preserve the natural camber of the board... So basically they are hanging with the centre of the board "drooping" also take your bindings off.

Boards usually lose camber during their lives.. some quicker than others.

Generally IMO I wouldn't worry about camber until it gets <3mm .. or it's different on each side... then it's to the retirement home...

I don't think stopping and stuff will kill it.

Storing it for long periods with stuff piled it won't help; especially in high heat (like a drying room) as resins are heat sensitive. Leavinbinding suck on the board is probably not the best idea either.

I know a friend who slammed his board in the trunk (boot) of his car and piled stuff on it, and snapped it; presumably storing lots of things together and loading up the flex for long periods of time, or forcing it past normal cruvature would not be good for it.

I know the board that was the worst I ever had was a Hot; it lost its camber fairly quickly and then the base ceased to be flat and ended up like a boat, with a bottom like a canoe :-0 A true piece of junk; by comparison the Nitro scorpion i mistreated for years still has the same 1.5m of camber it had when I was given it; mind you it now rides like a dog for some other reason!

They won't last forever, but the camber should stay in the board for a fair while unless you are one of the guys who is 300 pounds in which case, maybe it will last a week or so?!

I just remembered my Factory Prime... it's a 164 190s and it was brand new it only had like 4-5mm of camber...still has that now

My R-17 has 10mm just like the spec sheet says

My custom X has about 10mm also.....

My guess is that powder boards would have less camber (hence overall softness) to help with floatation..

Thats my opinion and is based merely on my thought pattern...:freak3:

I doubt hockey stops would help lose the camber in your boards...

It's just the way the resin "breaks" down over time... still there are good ways and bad ways to store a board during the warmer months

Here's a question...

If you store a board only supported by it's tip and tail... upside down over the summer with a few kg's or several pounds in the centre between the bindings to increase it's static camber... basically forcing the natural camber to come back... would it remain after the weight was removed???

Suppose you could call that reconditioning the camber of your board...

Just a thought.....

Surely someone has got to of tried this once in their lives.....