Note to New Members ×

Bachelor

Mike T

Everyone must have been hung over today... no crowds to speak of. Was pretty much like any Friday.

Almost 3 feet of snow expected betwwen tomorrow nite and Friday... and I have to work and cannot play hookie :mad:

Someone please go rip it for me! Hopefully the storm track will park itself over the area and there will be more coming for the weekend,

Looks like Pine Marten and Northwest lifts suffered damage from the recent wind and ice storms. Today and tomorrow look like good days to do something else with freezing rain then rain. Temps drop big time Tuesday night and looks like more snow Wedndesay so all is not lost. I plan to ride Thursday.

You'll see water drops on the window even when it's 24* and snowing sometimes. They keep the camera where it's warm.

Rain happens here even in January. Not as much as at Hood, but it happens. Let's just say I'd rather be in my warm, dry office than on the slopes tomorrow!

Still warm as hell today (but thankfully dry, a change from what the forecast said yesterday), but an arctic blast is coming through tonite and settling in for the next week or so. Lows below 0F! Highs around 10F! Up to a foot of snow forecast to fall at those temps. Who's riding with me on Friday? (Got a can't miss meeting Thursday, so have to wait for the sun on Friday - oh darn!)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Mike T,

I know this is a loaded question that even weather forcasters can't seem to answer, but how do you think the conditions might be for the OES? I met up with Buell & Rebecca in Utah a few weeks ago and we had a damn fine time riding together! They might be able to convince me into coming out for it...seeing that I've never been out to Oregon, I'm sure it'd be a good time!

Thanks for any info that you can send my way!

Jeff

Impossible to answer. Oregon weather is notoriously fickle. However March often seems to be a good month especially in el nino years. Last year, we had two powder days and two sunny hero-groom days with temps in the mid 30's. March is a historically snowy month here.

Highs around 50 today. Took me a while to find the only run with decent grooming... Leeway which was pretty much a sheet of ice until 1pm as it diesn't get any sun till that time of day. I got schooled big time, had trouble getting more than 4 or 5 good turns in a row especially with the narrow spots on the run.

Other runs slushed up faster, but the grooming was about the worst I'd ever seen - frozen, bumpy, death cookies everywhere. I was told that it rained last night during grooming... only Leeway and Outback were done before it rained. None of the Outback runs were anywhere near smooth, experts only even on the blue runs.

Folks, if you want to brush up on your ice skills, the next week is the time to do it. Freeze/thaw every night with highs in the 40's and lows in the 20's. Leeway and Lower Skyliner Lftline will probably groom out smooth, as may Kangaroo if it doesn't rain anymore. The rest, will be frozen death cookies galore based on experience.

Fingers crossed for a complete resurfacing with some freshies sometime soon. I enjoyed the chance to work on my hardpack skills today, but probably won;t be spending any vacation time till we get some fresh, or Bachelor figures out that they need to groom less runs and make more passed on the runs they do groom during weather like this.

The snow is back to Bachelor. About 13" since Thursday. Mostly windpacked powder and chopped-up snow conditions today. Didn't get to board on it since I was skiing with my grom, perfect conditions for that, or for lazy freeriding. My other half, Bonnie, enjoyed the windpack on her softies and Donek Phoenix. No trouble finding spots that had been freshly wind-smooth so it was nice.

Looks like more of the same... an inch to 3 at a time... for the next week.

At this point I am hoping for a huge dump the week before OES followed by sun and cold so it grooms out real nice :biggthump Most of the dirty snow from last week has now been covered but there's still some showing through in wind-blown spots.

Big fun today, 4-6". Got on the #2 today, yahoo! Not a skinny board day, too much fresh over groomed. Tommorow looks the same, thursday even more, according to NWS. Mike, still going to be at Sunrise first chair? :biggthump

Yes, hopefully on my Tanker. If not, probably my Coiler AM.

EDIT: I'm starting out on Skyliner, not Sunrise. Call me on my cell in the AM. I will probably very quickly head to Pine Marten, Outback or NW.

We should get up there about 8:30. I'll call you when we leave, about 8. Where do you park for skyliner? we'll probably still park at sunrise as Sandy and the girl like the lodge, but Silvan and me can catch first chair up sunrise and get to skyliner pretty quick. Cya there, eh?

We should get up there about 8:30. I'll call you when we leave, about 8. Where do you park for skyliner? we'll probably still park at sunrise as Sandy and the girl like the lodge, but Silvan and me can catch first chair up sunrise and get to skyliner pretty quick. Cya there, eh?

There is parking right near the base of the Skyliner lift. When you make the lft off of the main road to get to Sunrise, that road almost immediately splits - left goes to Sunrise, right goes to Jr Race Center and Skyliner. Season passholders only - you can't buy a ticket there. However you can literally hop off the trail and into your car. It's great for quick board changes.