Note to New Members ×

Utah riding advice needed

Mike Tokar

My friends and I are heading to SLC and need some advice on the best places to ride, and the best choice of boards. I'd like to bring my whole quiver, but need to be realistic.

My favorite board is a Coiler AM177, (wide and stiff), with cateks and suzukas. Would that work well in deep pow? Should I just move the bindings back a bit to get more nose/less tail?

I have a never-ridden Burton Supermodel 181, currently set up with SI softies. I'm contemplating putting race plates on it to avoid having to bring a second pair of boots. Advice would be welcome. (I also was considering bringing either my Coiler PR 196, Burton Prime 185, or Volant 173, but thought their width wouldn't work well in pow)

Regarding resorts, my top 3 based on vert/trail maps are Snowbird, Park City and Snowbasin. We'll only have 4 days to ride, and want to get the most out of them. If someone could recommend the best places to go for open slopes and pow, I'd appreciate it. I spend plenty of time on hardpack on the east coast, and would love to change things up a bit.

Thanks, and Happy New Year.

Mike

Mike,

Conditions right now aren't the best Utah has to offer. There is a storm system forecast for the end of this week (01/05/07) which should bring some much needed snow. I'd recommend getting in touch with the hardbooter.com crew as they ride PCMR and Canyons regularly. Dave (Tille) and Billy (Bordy) and Mikey should be able to help you around the SLC resorts. Skully is fun to ride with, too. Hopefully, he's updated his riding wardrobe recently.

Mark

Thanks for the reply. I'll check out the site you mentioned.

We'll be landing in SLC on Wednesday, 2/7, leaving Monday, 2/12, and riding everday in between.

Is Skully the guy that sprayed his one-peice with Pam? Sounds like he'd fit right in with the slaves to fashion that I ride with.

Any additional advice on board choice and other places would be appreciated. On paper, Powder Mtn looks outrageous with 5500 acres (but no snowmaking). I read something about cat rides for $8. Has anyone here done that?

Having been happy to ride on wet grass here on the east coast, we were imagining chest deep powder runs, but will be happy with something in between.

I'm going to go make a sacrifice to the snow gods...

MT

Mike

WTC is January 25-28th 2007. Too bad you couldn't make it then. Otherwise, Februrary is a smashing month to ride PCMR, The Canyons, Snowbasin, and Powder Mountain.

I've never paid for the snowcats at PM. But, I've used their backside shuttle many times. PM's 'backside' run is really fun and the mountain runs a shuttle bus every 30 minutes to pick you up and take you back to the lifts. I've heard the cats are great for riding 1 and 2 days after a storm.

Skully (Henderson) isn't the PAM guy. He's a great rider who befriended my son and I at WTC several years ago. It was just awful to see such a good rider dressed like a '80's Burton ad.

Mark

Mike

Skully (Henderson) isn't the PAM guy. He's a great rider who befriended my son and I at WTC several years ago. It was just awful to see such a good rider dressed like a '80's Burton ad.

Mark

Oh common Mark! Get it right. Not an 80's BURTON add, a 90's QUICKSILVER add dammit.

The Quicksilver Day-Glo shall never be retired until it disintegrates.....

IMG00944.sized.jpg

Otay, otay! I hope you know that I'm making fun of your apparel is all in fun.

Hope to see you at WTC in a few weeks. You still at The Canyons?

Mark

You can make fun of the jacket all you want.... (I won't bring up your BEAVER Mtn. hoodie. ;) )

And yes, Still at The Canyons. Spent all last week teaching in softies ( :barf: )

Of course conditions are still kinda crappy, so I didn't really want to trash the carving boards anyway.....

Mike,

When I head down to WTC I take a board for soft/powder conditions and another board for groomers and one pair of boots. That way, I've got all snow conditions covered.

I usually end up riding demos from BOL and hardbooter.com fleets. But, I'm covered if I can't find anything that appeals to me in the demo fleets.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Like, that's gonna happen!

Mark

Skully: Leave the pumpkin-colored hoodie out of this. It offends everyone equally; I use it in the summer to attract flies away from camp.

I'm going to be in Park City Jan 10-15. Let's hope for some big storms over the next week. Some questions for your Park City riders:

What runs/lifts are PCMR are good for a mixed bag of intermediate to advanced riders/skiers? Are any of the bowls on the East Side doable by non-experts? How serious are those double black diamond ratings?

Thanks...I read the thread....

Im trying to get a nice list of trails and areas. Very specific..

I hate spending my day searching out the nice groomed run only to be tired once I find it.

Im just looking for some nice hard green to medium blue cruzers that are really fun to carve. (mabey a black cruzer for kicks)

Im a lower east coast rider so anyhting out west is better than what we have here. :biggthump

E--gawd my local resort just closed down its base lodge and is now down to 4-5 trails cause of warm weather... :angryfire

Im trying to get a nice list of trails and areas. Very specific..

I hate spending my day searching out the nice groomed run only to be tired once I find it.

Im just looking for some nice hard green to medium blue cruzers that are really fun to carve. (mabey a black cruzer for kicks)

OK, here's my recommendation for The Canyons:

Get as far away from the Saddleback chair, and the Red Pine Lodge as possible.

Good carving runs (When groomed):

Super Condor chair: Apex Ridge, Upper and Lower Boa. Aplande and Kestrel are also two "Double" blues that can be more challenging when groomed.

For a taste of what Apex Ridge can be like with good conditions click these links:

Apex Ridge

Apex Ridge Again

Golden Eagle chair: (It's a SLOW, OLD double chair, but if it is not crowded with people trying to get up the mountain, there will be no-one there early in the morning.) Doc's Run - early morning only, in the afternoon, it will be packed with gapers trying to get off of the mountain. Lookout Ridge. Arrowhead can be fun also, but get's tight at the bottom.

Tombstone Chair: Another World, and Could 9. These can be crowded at times.

Peak 5, Day Break, Dreamscape and Dream Catcher chairs: There are tons of blue runs off of all of these chairs, but they are more narrow, and a lot of them can have flatter portions on them. Check the grooming report and map, and have fun. The good thing about all of these chairs is that there will be less traffic on them.

Hopefully someone else more familiar with Park City will chime in, but here's my $.03 for PC:

Anything off of the north side of the King Con chair: Sitka and Shamus are my favorites.

Silverlode: Prospetor (Double Blud). Assessment is also fun.

Payday: Payday, Blanche (I believe the Nastar couse is on Blanchd) and Heckler are my favories.

Again, there are probably many other good ones at PC, I have mentioned the ones I am most familiar with.....

PERFECT!!!!

I really really really really.... appreciate the post!

I will absolutly be on those trails come in 17 days....

If anyone else has a few suggestions (for other resorts) please post!

I am forever in debt to everyone here at BOL

SKully How often are you at the canyons?

Matt

My friends and I are heading to SLC and need some advice on the best places to ride, and the best choice of boards. I'd like to bring my whole quiver, but need to be realistic.

My favorite board is a Coiler AM177, (wide and stiff), with cateks and suzukas. Would that work well in deep pow? Should I just move the bindings back a bit to get more nose/less tail?

I have a never-ridden Burton Supermodel 181, currently set up with SI softies. I'm contemplating putting race plates on it to avoid having to bring a second pair of boots. Advice would be welcome. (I also was considering bringing either my Coiler PR 196, Burton Prime 185, or Volant 173, but thought their width wouldn't work well in pow)

Regarding resorts, my top 3 based on vert/trail maps are Snowbird, Park City and Snowbasin. We'll only have 4 days to ride, and want to get the most out of them. If someone could recommend the best places to go for open slopes and pow, I'd appreciate it. I spend plenty of time on hardpack on the east coast, and would love to change things up a bit.

Thanks, and Happy New Year.

Mike

I have ridden all the major Utah resorts a couple of time with the exception of Deer Valley, Sundance and Canyons.

Snowbasin is my hands down favorite for no crowds, great grooming and terrific off-piste exploration. Snowbird can be really fun, the tram gets you to some good bowls etc., some good grooming etc.....but it seems so busy and urban attitudes can prevail if you know what I mean. Not sure I do.

I would love to find someone to show me around PC as I have been disappointed in this resort every time I have ridden there. didn't find the goods. Thought the mtn was layed out weird, grooming was marginal for fresh snow recently.

Done whining now. I hope you get some great turns and find the sweet spots.

Also for a powder board I rode the Supermodel 181 with Burton plates for 5 years and loved it. Once I had beat the piss out of it I had some trouble with the nose folding up when I pushed it but not for the first couple of years.

Thanks for the advice. I'm psyched to hear that the Supermodel worked well with plates. Do you normally ride in SV? That's the best place I've ever seen, mostly because some of the runs are like natural halfpipes.

The Snowbasin map shows a few 'natural halfpipes' on it. Any experience with those?

I can't wait to get out there. The weather on the east coast is just sad.

Think snow!

MT

Guest Jared Q

I don't know if they are secret, but Red Fox and Comstock off the pioneer lift at Park City are pretty much empty until around noon. The lift is slow, but it is worth it to avoid riding shoulder to shoulder with people.

Skully, what's the name of that creek/stream bed that you and Billy took Kenneth and I down?

At Park City?

That would have been Jupiter Bowl.

Or are you talking about Canis Lupis at The Canyons? (I didn't make it that day, but I'm sure Billy showed you some dope stuff.)

Neither of those get groomed too often... :eplus2:

I don't know if they are secret, but Red Fox and Comstock off the pioneer lift at Park City are pretty much empty until around noon. The lift is slow, but it is worth it to avoid riding shoulder to shoulder with people.

This is the kind of info I need.

Quick question for you guys - West Face to the left of Jupiter Lift looks ideal for my kind of riding. This judging from the photos on Park Ciy website. Not killer steep and with widely spaced trees. Can you traverse on a snowboard to this area from Jupiter Lift or is it a hike?

At Fernie last year, I got stuck on a couple of traverses and it sucked all my energy. I want to try to avoid that kind of thing at PCMR. Or at least be better prepared.

At Park City?

That would have been Jupiter Bowl.

Or are you talking about Canis Lupis at The Canyons? (I didn't make it that day, but I'm sure Billy showed you some dope stuff.)

Neither of those get groomed too often... :eplus2:

I rememeber Jupiter Bowl... and wondering how the heck I was going to get down from there!! Hiking along a ridge with nothing on either side isn't something I'm used to.

The trail I'm referring too must have been at the Canyons. It is literally a creek that fills with snow and makes for a 1->2 metre wide slot car track. The only way out is by going all the way down or climbing the walls.

I rememeber Jupiter Bowl... and wondering how the heck I was going to get down from there!! Hiking along a ridge with nothing on either side isn't something I'm used to.

The trail I'm referring too must have been at the Canyons. It is literally a creek that fills with snow and makes for a 1->2 metre wide slot car track. The only way out is by going all the way down or climbing the walls.

Heh, ya, I remember you and Kenneth were puckering a little when we did Jupiter. Following Billy and / or Phil around PC on a powder day will make pretty much anyone pucker.

And the trail at The Canyons IS Canis Lupis. Fun stuff. Ya just gotta let it loose at the bottom, and hope there are no gapers side-slipping, cause you'll t-bone them good...