Note to New Members ×

saturday 12/16 meadows

lex

Hey Lex, I think I'll be up on Saturday too. I think there's a chance that there'll be freshies on Cascade - don't know if it's run this season or not, but I'd guess it won't be running tomorrow due to high winds. Could be pretty nice on Saturday...

Anyway, hope to see you on the mountain!

Hey Lex, look for me on Cascade if it's open, otherwise Shooting Star. Cell reception at Meadows can be patchy (Top of Shooting Star is OK, otherwise Shooting Star and HRM don't have line-of-sight to a cell tower, it seems).

Let's meet up at 11:00 at top of Shooting Star; otherwise give me a call or text at five two two - three three four six, area code 206 and we can make other arrangements.

I'll be riding BX tomorrow, not an alpine deck, but I'll be on plates in hardboots, so you won't have any trouble recognizing me.

Edited by Dan
obfuscate phone number

i made it up on saturday with my friend aris. the mountain was fairly clear in the morning then got a bit overcast. the air of the whole mountain was very somber as the c-130 and helicopters circled overhead.

the snow was great, however i had trouble finding a run that i was solid on. we started up mt hood express and cut over to vista. after some runs up there we headed to HRM where i got beat up pretty bad on the choppy steeps. after that one run on HRM we went back to mt hood express and vista. i could not find a run that i really liked.

while i had a great time spending time with my friend, i think i had a better carving day at timberline. i was solid down the middle run that follows the stormin' norman lift line.

we shot some video near the bottom of cascade and when that is up i will post a link. i got me some bad habits!

i also found that cateks are both a blessing and a curse. i kept tweeking away on them trying to get them to just right. at one point i got them too steep and i had no control of my board. backed them down and the last 3 runs of the day became solid (except i was way tired).

on the top of vista i did get a few good turns in.

overall, i think i am making my turns too shallow and drawn out.

dan, did you make it up? sorry i could not meet you up at SS, time got away from us. how was your day?

Try Shooting Star Ridge. It's wide, it's mellow, and the grooming is usually better than most runs (unless things have changed since the 04/05 season) I was able to carve nicely on that run from the beginning. Another good one is Kinnikinik (sp?) off of HRM.

Both runs will have some beginners on them but both are rated Intermediate so won't have as many beginners as North Canyon.