Note to New Members ×

Boulder, CO

kirtap

Well its that time of life for me where I have to decide where I want to go to college. I applied and got into all my schools and have narrowed it down to 2: Univeristy of Michigan and University of Colorado at Boulder. I was wondering how close to any ski areas Boulder is. Anyone who went to Boulder, is it realisitc hoping to go boarding on the weekends or is it just too far and I would be too busy? Anyone here live in Boulder?

Yeah, I'm from Minnesota and I applied to Boulder, Michigan, CO State, U of Minnesota, and Iowa State. I want to go into engineering, probably aerospace. My dads a pilot and I probably have close to 100 hours with him. I love flying and think designing that kind of stuff would be amazing. CO State doesn't have an aerospace program, kind of a small, but good, enginnering school. U of Minnesota is just too close to home and no good places to ski. So thats why I was debating Michigan and Boulder. I loved Boulder's campus and both have really good engineering schools. Michigan however, is probably the 3rd best in the country, but I wouldn't be able to ski there.

I would would say, definitely go to Boulder. Of course, that's where I went and still live so I'm a little biased. You will definitely get to go skiing every weekend if you want. Just don't forget to study and don't kill yourself by alcohol poisoning in some stupid frat hazing event. Keep an eye out for early pass deals. I can't remember if school starts before or after the deadlines for the cheapest tickets. CU's engineering school claims to be 12th or something like that, but it also receives the most NASA funding/projects of ANY college in the US so you could say that they're pretty good in the aerospace arena (that may be more space than aero, though). Last, Boulder's an awesome town, even if it's got a lot of idjits.

but you should check out colorado mountain college. i don't know what your long term plan is, but cmc has residential campuses in steamboat and leadville, so premium skiing, and teh steamboat campus has a really good engineering program that has a total credit transfer agreement with all the schools in CO, and a lot out of state. plus you get your steamboat pass at almost half off for being a student :D

Something with space would actually be my long term goal. My friend's dad is a Marine test pilot so he has 5 or 6 friends that are either astronauts or work with NASA. I've met most of them and doing anything close to their work would be sweet.

Kimo~What'd you go into? It sounds like you bought a season pass. Where at? And did you have a car out there or how did you get to the mountains?

**GO TO BOULDER**

While Boulder is densely populated by drunk, rich kids, you'll be studying and riding too hard to notice that they exist. Boulder is a great school (with a good engineering department) in a great city that is steeped in culture and good people. However, it might be difficult to get up to the mountains every weekend. When phenomenal riding is only 40 minutes away, you're going to be up there every-single-day. Drink a lot of coffee and you'll be fine.

It's got big hills, snow, and groomed runs, so... yeah, it's a good place to carve.

I purchased a pass to eldora and tried to schedule my classes in the morning. With eldora so close you could go up and ride for a couple hours after class and still have time to finish homework when you got back. I would highly recommend it.

Sounds amazing. I've always been excited for college but now its really getting to me. Finally a chance to get off the 400 ft hills in Minnesota and live on my own. I think over Christmas break this year we are going out to visit Boulder again and go skiing. Maybe I'll have to stop at Eldora now too.

Sean, did you go to Boulder for school?

Kimo~What'd you go into? It sounds like you bought a season pass. Where at? And did you have a car out there or how did you get to the mountains?

I got majors in Biology and Kinesiology and a minor in Biochem and at one point was looking at dental school, but ended up becoming an airline pilot instead. I kinda wish I'd done geology or was better at math and could do engineering.

I wouldn't say Eldora is the greatest carving around Colorado. Not even close, but it is still where I got my pass for this season. I did so for the following two reasons: 1) it's really close and convenient and I'm tired of driving 1.5 to 2 hours (or more) each way on the parking lot that is I-70 so a 45 minute drive is a very nice thing and 2) they had a cool deal last year where you could buy this season's pass and use it for the last month or two of last season. That worked really well for me.

I'll probably like Eldora more once I get better carving the steeps. They really only seem to have really shallow slopes and really steep slopes, not much in between. Corona run can be fun, but I really gotta work on my heelside steep turns. There's also a lot of terrain that I haven't even begun to explore on my freestyle board.

Another plus about hEldora is that if you also like to do any nordic skiing, they've got a pretty good amount of nordic trails that you can use free if you have a season lift pass. Oh yeah, I do have a car, but like some else said, there's a bus every hour or so up to Eldora and I think it's free with a CU student ID.

People, including me, give Eldora a lot of $#!+, but it's actually got a lot of good things going for it.

Sean: I'm still trying to get the money together for one of your boards, but a bunch of things came up all at once.

I love it - a pilot who wishes he was better at math and is looking to save money for a board (sorry - to many pilot friends and my wife works for Continental so I couldn't resist)

Kimo - who do you fly for?

CJ

Well let me clarify... I wish I was better at calculus. The rest I am quite capable of lower math.

Anyhoo, lets just say I fly passenger jets, live in a tiny condo and can't afford that nice new Donek that I want. SES is starting to look iffy too.

Guest utahsnowrider

I would choose Boulder over Mich.

Have you taken a look at University of Utah. I know they have good engineering program at the "U", but I am not sure if they have aerospace engineering. The "U" is within 45 min. drive to Solitude, Brighton, Snowbird, and Alta. Forget Alta, it is not open to snowboarding. Brighton has night skiing/boarding. Transportation to and from these areas on Wasatch Front are exceptional, running through out the day. Best to take your car, faster that way. They offer special "student" rate for season passes. Park City, Canyon, and Deer Valley are approximately an hour to an hour and half drive away from the "U". Snowbasin and Powder Mountain are aproximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours away from the "U".

I went to Utah State University in a small town of Logan, Utah. I know the engineering program there has relationship of some kind with the NASA and have received $$$ for research and development. Beaver Mountain is approxmiately an hour away if I remember correctly. Snowbasin and Powder Mountain are around an hour to an hour and half away from USU.

Just some schools to look into.

Reid