Note to New Members ×

99% sure I'm going to take the plunge this year..

jersey600

Last season I purchased a long softboot setup and played around a lot with the binding angles and really carving and loved it. After over a decade of riding a soft setup I think it's time I try something new.

What I am looking to do since I'm primarily an east coast rider is to get a setup that will allow me to ride the entire mountain. I love carving and improving myself on groomers, but then a few hours later I will want to do some glades or an ungroomed black and not have to switch boards let alone boots. I'm not a guy with a quiver, I only want one setup. After doing some research I have narrowed my choices down to the following pretty much:

Prior ATV

Prior 4WD

Donek Axxess

Donek Axis

The 4WD and the Axis are real similar from what I can tell. The Donek being slightly stiffer and more aggressive I think. The ATV slightly wider with less SCR and EE. So I dont know for sure.

A big help would be if i knew which board I won't outgrow. I am a beginner to hardboots, however not a beginner to snowboarding and will likely get accustomed to it quickly and want to keep rolling with the same setup for at least a few seasons.

Thoughts?

Also, I am 6'0" and roughly 185-190lbs. Should I do a 167 or perhaps the 172? My weight range suits both sizes according to the Prior website. Would these sizes be too big to traverse around the small Eastcoast resorts? my current deck is a 164 CustomX and I do fine on it.

Thanks for all the help with these nooB questions!

:lurk:

I think the Axis and Axxess are the same, just a new name. By all accounts an equivalent length Axxess is stiffer/more carve oriented than a 4WD.

People have said the ATV is softer than the 4WD, but that's a question for Prior. I've been very happy with 21.5 cm waisted boards, and I ride about 45 degree angles with size 27.5 boots. My attitude is the same as yours - I want one board to do it all. I had a 165 4WD and now I have a Coiler AM172. I'm about the same size as you. I like the little bit of extra length. The Coiler is a lot stiffer than the Prior, but my Prior was an old model so not sure how to compare to new ones. Both boards work great in all conditions, but the softer Prior let me be a lot lazier.

Hi Jersey600,

I think by choosing Donek Axxess/Axis or Prior 4WD you may find what you want anyway.

When I bought my Donek Axis I was looking for a polyvalent board that could carve well but still go off piste; I made a choice for Axis at the time but I've been hesitating a while between the Prior and the Donek; like you I thought the Donek was a bit stiffer => in the end (i have to make a choice:rolleyes: ) I went for the Axis because I'm more often on piste than off piste BUT wanted to go off piste whenever I felt like it.

So my amateur advice is : read reviews and other threads, wait for more comments about your thread :biggthump

both sizes are fine...I ride the Creek over at the South Mountain...unless you get something with a sidecut bigger then 13...I ride a Prime 67 with a 12.29 SC and have no problems. I plan on going bigger myself (madd 170 or donek FC 170ish) when this whole family thing of mine calms down a bit. (got a 6 month old and my wife is 3 months PG). Every now and again the Creek gets a little to busy for the HB so I always bring my softies with me just in case.

I have a Axis 167 and love it. Never tried a 4WD but always wanted to. Either one will suit you fine. I understand the Axis is the better "carver" but the 4WD is better "all-mountain" so it really boils down to which has higher priority for your needs. The 4WD is still a great carver and the Axis is still good all mountain too. BTW have you read the reviews on this site?

I'm 5'6" 165lbs on a Ax167 so I would lean towards a 172 for your weight/height.

Good luck in your search!

well, the marketting for both boards is slightly different too.

donek axis = great carving board that you can take off piste (stiffer flex)

prior 4wd = great off piste board that you can carve with (softer flex)

slightly different in what each board aims to do and was designed for. i have a prior ATV (think a wider 4wd, by 2cm), and it's been great so far (easily compatible with both soft boots and hardboots with a 23cm waist width). i've taken it off piste (sort of. non-designated runs but still within the confines of the resort) and on in soft boots.

both boards are considered all mountain boards that you'll be able to take everywhere on any terrain, one is just better at off piste and the other is better at carving. you'll need to decide where you'll be spending more of your time, and that'll probably help you choose which board to go with. also, both boards are supposed to be good for learning hardboots on.

Jersey600,

I would go with the stiffest of them all. I imagine that would be the Donek. I don't know much about those boards but if you are riding at Mountain Creek you are better off getting a shorter board rather than a longer one. Too much traffic on weekends and weekday nights are not that much better.

great, thanks for the replies

looks like I probably wont be disappointed nomatter what I get along these lines. I seem to be leaning towards the Donek Axxess 172 since we dont get too much "off piste"-like terrain here on the east coast where I am - mostly groomed that turns into a sloppy mess at the end of the day. .

now comes boots/bindings

is the mondo size measured barefoot or with a sock? i think i'm a 27 barefoot on the left and 27.5 on the right

Just pick up the phone and call Sean at Donek. He'll shoot straight with you and ask the right questions, remember this is his life. He will be able to give you more directed and spefic advice than any of us.

There are a few builders that you can contact directly about building a board, the more you talk to the wiser your decision will be. Take advantage of their years of experience.

As far as growing out of a board, that depends on you. As long as the board isn't too hard for you to ride, your athletism/time will determine how long you can stay with a board until you graduate to the next level.

I have the Axis 162. I'm 5'6 and 155, age 59. That board suits me well in most conditions. In unforgiving bumps - especially in tight trees, it manhandles me. If I'm going to be spending most of the day under those conditions, I'll choose my much softer K2 recon. I use hardboots on the K2 as well.

My advice is buy the Axxess, but don't give away your current board.