Note to New Members ×

How big a gun ya got!

C5 Golfer

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently upon the purchase of my 30-06, nobody informed my mother, and she wasn't clever enough to put all of the clues together (various manuals laying around, a few gun locks scattered about the house, talk about my rifle) on her own. Today, she inquired as to what my girlfriend and I are planning on hunting with. I replied with "my rifle". She flew off her rocker that there is a gun in the house. I was given an ultimatum: gun back to the store, or gun out of the house.

Selling it back to the store isn't an option, because I didn't dump $400 into this to get nothing out of it, and I also didn't just invest a week of my life into hunter's ed to not be able to hunt.

Need advice on how to make a discussion with an Anti-Gun go smoothly. Thanks guys.

A compromise including security in the form of a safe or locking case etc. Find out why she's so sensitive about the subject to begin with. Get a subscription to the NRA's magazine for women and leave it lying around. you really can't begin a smooth discussion until you find out why she's so anti gun to begin with. let us know we might be of more help with more info.

I realize that suggesting you point a gun at your own mother is probably a sensitive subject. Therefore I ask you to consider these circumstances:

A) It's getting ate

B) I've had a long day's work and a glass of wine

C) I have a history of political incorrectness

D) We've never met, I don't know you or your mother and I'm sure she's a lovely person that does not deserve to have her son coerce here into letting him have a rifle at gunpoint.

E) there's probably more but I'll stop now at the risk of digging a deeper hole.

F) If that's not enough, feel free to shoot me, preferably from a distance and before you have any real target practice under your belt.

Is it snowing yet? The "it's-almost-winter-but-still-preseason-tension" thing must be upon us.

Tough job ahead.. Trying to convice an anti gunner to allow them is just like trying to convice a pro- gunner to give up his gun. It is a lose / lose situation so it most likely needs to be approached from a middle ground solution which is where both of you need to co-exist happily. I would try to ask what if anything could you do to ensure the safe presence of a gun in her house. A gun lock doesn't seem to be enough to sway an anti gunner but a gun safe may do it. But these are very heavy and expensive. If it is a bolt action how about removing the bolt and giving it to her for safe keeping. Showing her how it can not be fired or operated if the important piece is missing.

Problem has been taken care of. Basically, I told her that its been here for a month and she hasn't had any problems, and she realized that guns themselves aren't dangerous. Besides, its in a locked semi-hard case, with the bolt removed and stored seperatley, with a cable lock through the action. Basically, 100% safe. Anyway, back to the discussion at hand. :)