Oregon Expression Session (OES) 2007

Mike T

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks,

I'd like to ask everyone planning to attend OES to use the RSVP form at www.oregones.com. (And thanks to all who already have!) This will help us plan apres-carve activities.

Please note that morning meet-ups will be at the Sunrise lodge and not the main West Village lodge. Several advantages:

*You can park really close to the chair. This is great for those of us who bring their quiver to the mountain and want to switch during the day

*The best grooming and warm-up runs are right there

*If it's sunny, quick access to the Summit chair for Carving with a View.

I will be there at or before 8:30 on Thursday and Friday and 7:30 on Saturday and Sunday. That's half hour before first chair. I'll keep some tools, extra bolts, etc in my Subie in case there is any need.

I encourage riders to show up early and get a good parking spot. The Bachelor crew tends to get on first chair and get the early morning goods. If it's really nice conditions we tend to head over to the steeper runs off Pine Marten, otherwise we tend to warm up off Sunrise and then Skyliner.

There will NOT be a demo tent or formal demos. This is mostly due to liability and expense issues. If the session continues to grow this may change in the future. I am working with a few individuals on informal demos that would be done out of my garage in the evenings, and in the mornings at my car. If anything pans out I will provide details.

Doug Dryer has an assortment gear for sale and plans to attend the session. His contact info is here:

http://www.bomberonline.com/community/links_page.cfm

C'mon out :biggthump

• 2 weeks later...

To anyone new to carving that is going to the OES; I am (and have been for 18 years) a certified spreader of the hardboot gospel (level three AASI, former examiner,former Silver Mountain Ski/SB school director,former Vail instructor/supervisor). I am now a stay at home dad who has his first pass from the family this season to go have some good natured extreme fun and would love to pass on any knowledge that might prove helpful if it is ok with the organizers of the event. By the way, I could use a place to crash from the night of the 8th to the morning of the 11th if anyone can take in a nonsnoring guest. Looking forward to digging deep at Bachelor! Steve Prokopiw

P.S. I just told Bryan at oldsnowboards.com how I've just started surfing the hardboot sites and how rediculously computer illiterate I am in order to explain why I had not yet changed after two years (just did, must have been pushing the wrong button...)my profile to reflect that I now live in the great state of North Idaho and no longer live near or teach at Vail, but at Silver Mountain in Kellogg, Idaho.My Apologies.

Only 10 days to go!

Thursday March 8

8:30 - 9:00: Gather at base of Sunrise lift.

9:00: First chair on Sunrise

1:00: Lunch at Sunrise lodge

6:30: Meet at Deschutes Brewery.

Friday March 9

8:30 - 9:00: Gather at base of Sunrise lift.

9:00: First chair on Sunrise

1:00: Lunch at Sunrise lodge

6:30: Meet at Cascade Lakes Brewpub

Saturday March 10

7:30 - 8:00: Gather at base of Sunrise lift.

8:00: First chair on Sunrise

1:00: Lunch at Pine Marten lodge (TOP of Pine Marten Chair)

2:00: Group photo in front of Pine Marten Lodge

6:30: Pizza Party at my place. Please bring $5 or $10 / person for pizza depending on how hungry you are and BYOB. If you need my address please shoot me an email, and I'll hand out directions day that day.

Sunday March 11

7:30 - 8:00: Gather at base of Sunrise lift.

8:00: First chair on Sunrise

1:00: Lunch at Pine Marten lodge (TOP of Pine Marten Chair)

The weather forecast shows snow, snow and more snow for the next ten days. So THINK SUN! (Did I just say that?!?!?!) but also bring your powder and all-mountain gear if the weather pattern continues.

Questions? mt@tovino.com, 541.350.2255

It looks like I won't be able to make it after all. The hip "bruise" that kept me on the sidelines at SES turns out to be a shattered Greater Trochanter of the Femur. After nearly six weeks of agonizing pain everytime I tried to ride, I went back to the doctor and insisted that something was broken like I had suspected from the beginning. After some more xrays and a CT scan it turns out that the knob on the top of the Femur is in about 5 pieces. So, another snowboard season has been cut short.

Guest Hawaiian Ryan

I fly in on the 11th, sound like I'll just miss another one. We are looking to move to Corvalis Oregon so the mountain would be home base.

R

Hey Trikerdad,

So sorry to hear that. Six weeks of misdiagnosis. Is it surgery for you now?

If you were to make it to Bend, we could be on the gimp squad. :freak3: The bottom of my femur is broken, but I will be there with Rebecca (who is riding), enjoying the night time events.

Buell

The forecast is making me a little nervous as well. It was total spring conditions up there today - which, when following on a week of powder, meant nothing carvable. However mnow that that's out of the way, they will be able to groom well enough to make tomorrow carvable/

OES will go on pretty much no matter what the weather. In the worst case scenario, simply ask for one of those "fun to the last drop" ponchos that they give out when it rains, bring a SKiGee to wipe your goggles, and enjoy the empty runs! Buell, Rebecca, Bonnie and I had a great carving day back in early December where we got rain/sleeted on, but the groom was utterly fantastic for about three hours and we had to share it with absolutely nobody.

The weather forecast can change pretty drastically around here over the course of a few days so please do keep an eye on the weather and gear up / dress accordingly, or if you are a fair-weather carver, do what you must. The NWS tends to predict more precip than actually happens at Bachelor - which often bums me out - but if it stays warm, less is more.

Yeah, imagine that, most everyone else got chased off that day. Carve, carve, skigee, carve, carve, skigee. It was a great day of carving for us though. Fortunately, this is only Saturday and the forecast rarely holds 6 and 7 days out. Hell, we are all from the northwest anyway.

I would certainly be on the mountain if I could. Rain or shine though, Rebecca will be there to ride!! :biggthump

Agree with both you guys, I've had some awesome times in mid 40's drizzle. :biggthump I've noticed NWS is pretty accurate with forecasted temps, but precip amounts are unreliable, particularly at Bachelor. Friday's looking better, but that could change again. Regardless,I'm there and hoping they keep pushing back the precip thru the weekend. Worse comes to worse, it will give me an excuse to sport my Gortons Fisherman outfit! Yaa, you betcha. :lol:

i wish i could make it. got in a wee bit of an accident while on my bike with some railroad tracks on a wet night coming back from the pub. that was 3+ weeks ago and my ribs still are not quite right...

everyone have fun!

A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 32. Breezy, with a west southwest wind between 18 and 23 mph. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

That's for 7000 feet which is about halfway up the main lifts. Right now it's 35 at 6300' and 19 at 7700' so it looks like the runs will vary on the way down.

Runs off of Skyliner and Sunrise will get groomed last, Outback runs will probably have some post-groom accumulation in the morning. See you at Sunrise chair :biggthump

I am going to bring the last four Extrem boards I have left over from repping in Vail,to maybe trade or sell .They are all new unused allmountain 2005 models .145,151,155, TRANSFERs(midlevel in their lineup, handmade 450.00 original retail)and a 165 JUSTICE 685.00 original retail(supersweet and it won't hurt me to keep it,but for the right sale or trade...) I am interested in race boards made in this century as I have yet to own one.Steve

p.s Hey Mike, Matt and I will be staying at motel 6 in Bend and will meet you in the am friday as per the schedule

F'ing awesome day today! The grin could not be wiped from my face. There was good groom to be had through the whole day (thanks to the ultra slow Rainbow chair) and trenches were made in abundance. Let's whope the weather forecasters are as wrong about the rest of the session as they were about today (clouds and snow were predicted - it flurried for about 2 minutes all day and visibilty was fantastic)

OES Gallery of photos. Not allot of carving shots, however, you will get a good idea about the weather and the fun! Shout out to Dane (travelling all the way from Idaho) and great sense of humor of the ladies that were out carving today. Good fun!!

We did get some video, just need to process and upload it.

post-198-141842230233_thumb.jpg