Note to New Members ×

The Alpine brands vs cars

CarvCanada

If alpine board brands were to be manufacturers of cars, here's what they would be.

Coiler - Porsche 911 GT3RS!

Nidecker - BMW M3

Donek - Lexus GS300

Prior - Lotus or Ferrari

Burton - Ford Mustang

Pogo - Techart Porsche

Virus - Ruf Porsche

F2 - Mercedes AMG

Madd - Lamborghini

Most freestyle boards: Ford Expedition

with exception of:

Rad Air Tanker - BMW X5

Donek Incline - Porsche Cayenne

Prior AMF - Hummer!

As the owner of a Coiler and a two Donek alpine boards, I think the Donek is more like a sports car and the Coiler is more like a luxury sedan.

I find my Doneks (FC 163 and Axis 172) are all about precise handling. Edge changes happen so fast on the 163 it's like the board is hooked directly to my brain stem. But, make a mistake and get punished!

The Coiler (PR 184) on the other hand is all about sticking to the trail, no matter what. At times (all the right times) it's like it has a suspension. It "hugs the road" so to speak like a Mercedes or Beamer.

Then again, maybe it's the length as much as the maker... I really have to try a 180+ cm Donek someday. (If you have one and ride in the NW US and want to trade boards for a few runs, that'd be cool!)

Originally posted by CarvCanada

If alpine board brands were to be manufacturers of cars, here's what they would be.

Coiler - Porsche 911 GT3RS!

Nidecker - BMW M3

Donek - Lexus GS300

Prior - Lotus or Ferrari

Burton - Ford Mustang

Pogo - Techart Porsche

Virus - Ruf Porsche

F2 - Mercedes AMG

Madd - Lamborghini

Most freestyle boards: Ford Expedition

with exception of:

Rad Air Tanker - BMW X5

Donek Incline - Porsche Cayenne

Prior AMF - Hummer!

My take being a car nut that I am

Volkl RT - Don Garlits Swamp Rat dragster

Prior 4X4- Lexus LX 470

F2 Speedster- Corvette C5-R

Arbor Munoz - Lexus LS 400

Burton - any model- 1957 Buick Roadmaster with 2 speed auto or a Ford Tarus.

Nitro... the name says it all!

Seriously, I like my Nitro GTX 166, and I like Mazda cars, so I'll say:

Nitro GTX = Mazda RX-7 or RX-8

Derf

P.S.: I only drive a 1992 Mazda 323, and it gets me where I like to go without a hitch, no need for fancy cars.:D

Originally posted by Enzo

C5 Golfer,

Since we're talking cars here.....everytime I see your screen name I've often wondered if the "C5" is in reference to the C5 Vette. If so, it's a great car!!

Enzo

Yes it is -- I have a flame red coupe that only get out on sunny days and am looking forward to having a C6 parked next it when it is in its second model year.:D

Guest woodman

and seeing as how I just received my new 178cm from Germany I'll be the first to say it's gotta be the Shelby Cobra of boards!!! Split tails and split tongues!!! That thing is AWESOME!!! I'll agree on the F2 as well, my Silberfeil is pretty classy looking, especially with the Conshox. That board has elevated my riding already and I've only had it out 3 times!!! Man is this a good year or what!!!

Good carving/driving,

Paul

Guest woodman

The new ones are kinda funky with the wood showing through on the topsheet. I like the minimal graphics and predominately gray topsheet on mine, especially with the Conshox. It gives it a real "high tech" look. Although I gotta admit, the Red & Black graphics on my new Burner are SWEET!!!

:pPaul