Note to New Members ×

Outrage: USSA Drops Alpine Events from Lake Placid World Cup

Sinecure

Guest dragon fly jones

Get at me dawgs. Let's make a statement for the riders and coaches and the public at large.

I may have to chain myself to the USSA building in Park City or maybe to their sign out front.

... It was finally a chance to race in an arena where he had a home feild advantage. He didn't have to adjust to a time change, deal with weird Euro food, langauge differances, ect. All these things make it hard to perform. For that one race of the season the Euros had to deal with what we have to deal with all year (except they all learn English in school, and we could care less about teaching foreign langauge, but that's a different argument).

Interesting opinion. As far as food: what is weird with Euro food? That it is not a fast food? :D

Food difference

As far as language try Spanish. CIA reports that this country is biligual already. It would be shame...

I'd be more than happy to help craft a letter and perhaps shed some light on the historical issues. Although, I'm not in a position at this time to really be a part of the solution (as mentioned), which pains me to say.....but image I'll be moving back to snow in the next year.

My 2 cents is that folks should think hard and long what they ask for from USSA. Imagine a world in which we got everything we did request. I'm not necessarily talking money. That is placing a significant burden on a very small amount of resources. Quite honestly, the infastructure would either have to grow 10x or perhaps leverage horizontal resources (gasp...the skiers!).

The other significant challenge is skillset/personalities. It's always tough to tell your buddy that he's doing a ****ty job and can do better. If you develop success criteria, everyone seems to think you're trying to point blame rather than make a difference.

Lastly, the cyclical nature of the sport and athlete development is against us. Just as fast as a hot-shot rider comes onto the scene, he gets ADD and is living in SoCal surfing. How do you retain riders? Is it a chicken or egg situation?

Anyhoo..just some random thoughts.

Fin...maybe set-up a Wiki and have us start working!

K

Ah yes...I'm sure that is what she was referring to. Very good point.

Although, I don't consider 6 people much of a development program.

It's 6 per gender/per disipline. So you are actually talking about 12 athletes effected. I wouldn't consider it a "development program", it's more of an oppertunity that leads to the overall progression of an athletes skill level.

• 1 month later...

I will offer this website as a channel to "voice" this message to USSA. What that would involve is someone who understands ALL the issues to write a VERY professional and informed article on the situation with some possible ways we can make this situation better.

What Bomber will do is put this on the front page and make it an article in the Files section. We could also include an e-mail link to the USSA for readers to click and send an e-mail voicing their support for alpine.

Any takers on such an article?

I realize that I am coming in a little late on this topic but I am hoping that we haven't allowed this issue like so many others to simply fall by the way side. It would appear as though FIN has graciously offered his website as a forum to organize and communicate our (our being the alpine snowboard community) conflicts and/or issues with USSA. Thank you FIN, by the way. I am of the opinion that Phill is absolutely right on, as usual. I am not certain that voicing our conflicts and/or issues will in and of itself solve the problem but it is a start. I think that it is time that we (we, being the alpine snowboard community) stand up and fight for our sport. I am also of the opinion that we need to start offering solutions. Sending a letter to USSA voicing our conflicts without offering a viable unified solution really just boils down to complaining and there is nothing productive in that. The sport of Alpine Snowboarding has been on a steady decline for a long time and I have heard more empty complaints than I honestly care to remember but I have heard very few solutions. We can all blame Burton and we can blame USSA and we can blame FIS or maybe even the controllers of the free world but it really boils down to us, the people and the community. If we want to keep the sport of Alpine Snowboarding alive, if want to preserve it's roots and assure it's future we need to not sit back in our lazy chairs and complain about the man keeping us down, we need to stand up, we need to unite and we need to secure our beloved sports future. There are a handful of people that I am aware of that are presently doing this outside of the thletes such as myself. Phill Fell is one of those people and I am grateful to have him as a friend and as a coach. So in short, we need to rally, we need to stop complaining and we the people driving this sport need to save it from it's seemingly inevitable demise. Let's do this, let's organize our thoughts and our issues and find a solution and let's take FIN up on his offer because he like Phill is one of those guys working his ass off to save this sport. Peace out.

JVB

JVB, nice point... if there is going to be no alpine racing in the Lake Placid WC, what is the race to the cup series going to be racing for this year? only FIS points? Anyways, it seems like some people here really are trying to make this official complaint happen and the best thing to do would be to help them out in any way you can. Cool Cool, later

Just to let everyone know, Bomber Industries and Donek Snowboards are now official sponsors of the Race to the Cup Series. We will be attending the Copper and Steamboat days with our demo tent stocked as full as possible, so that everyone can come out and demo gear. We will also be giving away a set of TD2s at each race!

Check out the dates and more information:

http://www.bomberonline.com/events/Race_to_the_cup.cfm

Thanks to everyone for participating and not letting corporate decisions stop us!!!! We want everyone to understand that we are here to support the sport of HardBoot snowboarding, and we will support the Race to the Cup!!!

:biggthump :biggthump :biggthump :biggthump :biggthump :biggthump :biggthump :biggthump :biggthump :biggthump :biggthump :biggthump :biggthump :biggthump