Note to New Members ×

ok ,now back to alpine snowboard stuff

Guest naj

i hve read the "boot guide" on bomber store and i was wondering if what the disadvantages /advantages would be if i get a pair og Head boots(for people over 200lb) even if i weigh like 132 lb...

i hve read the "boot guide" on bomber store and i was wondering if what the disadvantages /advantages would be if i get a pair og Head boots(for people over 200lb) even if i weigh like 132 lb...

In my experience, Heads and skinny ankles don't get along. I have skinny ankles despite weighing 195 lbs. At 132, chances are your ankles are skinny enough for it to be a real problem. Which, by the way, is that the buckles bump into each other and prevent the boot from flexing forward, which makes it feel as stiff as a ski boot.

Now having said that, I like a lot of forward flex range in my boots. I like some resistance.... but I don't like to bottom out the range easily. BTS-equipped Suzukas (blue springs all around) is my current fave.

If you use the soft tongues, I'd think they'll be fine if they fit your foot OK. Fit is the key with any boot. I use the stiff tongues (I weigh 200lbs) and find them plenty flexible. I haven't installed the BTS-like device that Arnaud created, but if you put that one with a soft spring, you might like it more than the stock set up. I had UPS boots before and the buckles on my rear foot would rub together (eventually wore through). I've not had anything like that happen with the Heads.

When you have skinny ankles, you need to crank the buckles down. The middle two buckles are pretty close together in the photo. However when I tightened them enough to keep my foot from wobbling around, they wound up in contact with each other and not allowing much flex. Note that I also needed to tighten the topmost buckle quite a bit which led to the condition described on the EC site as well.

Head_orange_200.jpg

Had I known about the stuff on trhe EC site I might have tried modding them, to see if it made them "good enough" but I didn't, so I didn't.

Yes, I do seem like to more flex in my boots than many fellas my size... but also note that the Suzukas are "just right" and the Bomber store describes them as being comparable to the Heads in stiffness. For me it is a night and day difference.

i understand now. my boots are 3 buckles, so i don't have "buckle touch" but still crank them down. i bought some tongues this year and they helped fill some volume. then there's the whole foam thing and heat modable liners, i have neither though. yeah, skinny ankles suck and there's much that can be done for them re: lifting, b/c the skin is so thin there, it's just genetics and bone structure. i suppose women have an advantage though b/c their calves start so much lower. i'm getting off topic though.

ok, so head boos are not for me....

so which boots do you guys suggest i should use...

i already bought the boards (f2 silberpfeil and f2 eliminator) and the bindings (td2 standard)...all i lack are the boots...the right boots...

for all the kids on my team that weigh in at or around 132, we put them on the deeluxe lemans boots. they seem to have a perfect flex pattern for that weight range. we did have aproblem with one of the girls on our team that required some modifications to get her calves into the boots...

I'd actually go to a store at this point and try on some boots....

that is just my problem just my problem, u see...i've visited all the sporting and snowboard shop in Oslo, plus the online stores in this country...guess what, no alpine snowboards or boots for sale...the nearest one is in Sweden which is only like a few hundred of miles away(which by the way is an online store...alpinepunk.com)...yeah those swedish guys with prior split tails...

for all the kids on my team that weigh in at or around 132, we put them on the deeluxe lemans boots. they seem to have a perfect flex pattern for that weight range. we did have aproblem with one of the girls on our team that required some modifications to get her calves into the boots...

Modifications to the boots, or the calves?

Imagines coach with a cheese grater...

Simon