Note to New Members ×

Motorcycle Helmets

Justin A.

I'm going to be getting my first bike in a couple of weeks and Im looking for helmets. Right now my favorite is the HJC Carbon, just wondering is HJC makes a good helmet or if I should be looking at shelling out for something like a Shoei or an Arai? I know about the Snell vs. DOT certs and all that, but I was curious to know what you guys think of HJC vs. More expensive.

________

Make A Vaporizer

My MSF instructor (many years ago...) had a great line:

Got a $20 head? Buy a $20 Helmet.

Simple scare propaganda. The above article proves this isn't true. A $90 helmet beat all others in their test.

Of course, there are crappy helmets out there that say "DOT" on them, but won't do squat in a crash, like many of the Harley type half helmets.

That was a Bell helmet add from the 1970's If you have a $10 head buy a $10 helmet, sorry, he stole it and add in some inflation. Check MAW.com they have the best prices. Go to a show and try them all on, helmet companys all use a different mold and one that is great for some will give others a blasting headache. The NH police like to see us wearing helmets and appropriate clothing and I found from experience will cut you some slack when thay catch you. I had a couple let me go for minor lapses in good judgement and tell me they did it because of how I was dressed. It isn't a get out of jail free but it hasn't hurt. Have fun and we'll see you on the road.

Paul

I don't plan on doing anything to get me "caught". Personally, Im pretty scared of motorcycles (well, not motorcycles themselves, more the feeling of sliding down the road on my ass at 65mph). But I still intend to dress properly and wear a good helmet.

My favorite line isn't from any kind of motorcycle thing, but I've changed the word "Pilot" to "Rider"... A superior rider uses his(her) superior judgement to avoid situations that call for the use of his(her) superior skills.

________

Marijuana Seeds

I will always remember a nurse I worked with in the adult burn unit during my surgery residency...he had a brachial plexus injury(paralyzed hand) and a drop foot(needed a ankle-foot orthosis to keep his foot up to walk). I worked with him for a few weeks before I felt I could ask him what happened.....

"Motorcycle accident"

Bummer, I said...

He said, "No It wasn't..."

I didn't really understand him until he brought his helmet in the next night...scraped clear through the fiberglass and into the leather liner.....

He said "I'm alive and that's what counts the most"

Research well and spend what you have to

Read this in its entirety. Seriously.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

The good news is you don't have to spend $$$ on a helmet if you don't want to.

After reading that I went out and got a Z1R ($90) and have been quite happy with it.

Basically the article says that a softer helmet will produce fewer head injuries under a certain impact threshold. It then says that since most impacts encountered in street accidents are below that. The Snell certified helmets tend to be stiffer, and so will produce more injury in most street accidents, however, the limit at which a fatal injury will occure is higher with a Snell helmet. Snell isn't obsolete, but it might be something to consider.

Bottom line, buy a full face helmet that fits, and wear it all the time.

Don't forget to buy gloves, boots, a jacket, and pants as well. Aside from the head the easiest places to have a debilitating injury on the hands and feet, in that order.

Also, if you haven't yet, take the MSF course.

Basically the article says that a softer helmet will produce fewer head injuries under a certain impact threshold. It then says that since most impacts encountered in street accidents are below that. The Snell certified helmets tend to be stiffer, and so will produce more injury in most street accidents, however, the limit at which a fatal injury will occure is higher with a Snell helmet.

I <i>really</i> don't think the article said that at all. Even the softer helmets stood up to the most gruelling tests.

Snell isn't obsolete, but it might be something to consider.

Be sure to read the bottom of the article where Snell responds and then Motorcyclist rebuts. Snell comes out looking like fools.

Bottom line, buy a full face helmet that fits, and wear it all the time.

Don't forget to buy gloves, boots, a jacket, and pants as well. Aside from the head the easiest places to have a debilitating injury on the hands and feet, in that order.

Also, if you haven't yet, take the MSF course.

agreed.

I really don't think the article said that at all. Even the softer helmets stood up to the most gruelling tests.Be sure to read the bottom of the article where Snell responds and then Motorcyclist rebuts. Snell comes out looking like fools.

Look, what Jack and I are both trying to say is: don't buy a Harley.

Personally, Im pretty scared of motorcycles (well, not motorcycles themselves, more the feeling of sliding down the road on my ass at 65mph). But I still intend to dress properly and wear a good helmet.

Actually, if you are wearing full leathers, sliding along the pavement isn't that bad. I did it at around 30-40mph and walked off with just a slightly bruised butt and very scuffed leathers. It helped that it was a track with no curbs, guard rails or SUVs. Getting good leathers makes all the difference.

All full face helmets are basically the same. I'd avoid buying one at Wal-Mart but that's about it. Differences are just the weight, comfort and "pretty paint thing". make sure it fits quite snug. "snug" has an added benefit too. chances are the exterior shell is one dimension so a "medium" will have a thicker foam liner than a "large".

now there is one major difference you need to be aware of: buy a highly visible color so you do not get run over. this is no small deal. if you get run over on a bike chances are the "cell phone talking", inattentive Lincoln Navigator driver (with mild eye cataracts) probably never saw you when they made a left turn right in front of you.

Be seen or be a road pizza !

Sic

I read that article yesterday when you posted it, and man I was surprised. Im now looking at either a Z1R or still an HJC, but not the Carbon shelled one anymore, now Im looking down the line at the APM models. I still can't get over the fact that the Pep-Boys Raider outperformed ones like Arai and Suomy...Im still hesitant about buying a softer shelled helmet, mostly because of the huge amount of crumbled stone walls around here...I think that a test like hitting a rock should be considered more than a steel ball. And use actual rocks, not steel rocks, DUH. Stooped Snell

________

Vaporizers

Thanks for the link, Jack! That was a good read! I've been riding for 24 of my 34 years and have always worn a helmet. Both dirtbiking/trailriding/motocross and street riding. Everytime I buy a new helmet (they should be replaced after a hard impact or every 4 or 5 years, whichever occurs first), I wonder about what is the safest. This article gives me some new information to sift through. I'll definitely have to read it several more times. I'm not afraid to spend money on whatever is the safest, but if the safety level isn't higher (or is lower) then that is something to consider. I replace two helmets at a time (mine and a passenger helmet) so the cost is always double. Thanks again for another source of info.

Im still hesitant about buying a softer shelled helmet, mostly because of the huge amount of crumbled stone walls around here...

You did not get the most imporant point in Jack's article (actually from the Hurt report way back when). The helmet is only designed to save you from, literally, a gravity fall. This is roughly equivalent to standing on a chair and passing out and falling over backwards and striking your head. That stone wall impact would be a speed impact. You would be soooo dead.

Sic

I read that article yesterday when you posted it, and man I was surprised. Im now looking at either a Z1R or still an HJC, but not the Carbon shelled one anymore, now Im looking down the line at the APM models. I still can't get over the fact that the Pep-Boys Raider outperformed ones like Arai and Suomy

I know what you mean, the article is a real revelation. I have the Z1R and it is an excellent value, but if lots of ventilation is very important to you, then look elsewhere. It only has the chin vent and the basic two holes in the forehead and a pair of exit vents in back. That's fine with me because I live in Maine and I don't do a lot of long range riding. Also the liner is decent but pretty basic. Still, better than you'd expect for $90. If you want to feel like your head is being cradled by Angelina Jolie's bosom, you'll have to look to Arai or Rossi's AGV, the latter you can buy here with BSI certification and not Snell.

You did not get the most imporant point in Jack's article (actually from the Hurt report way back when). The helmet is only designed to save you from, literally, a gravity fall. This is roughly equivalent to standing on a chair and passing out and falling over backwards and striking your head. That stone wall impact would be a speed impact. You would be soooo dead.

Sic

Im not talking about going straight into the wall, I mean like...go over in a turn, slide for 200 feet then clip a rock. There aren't any standing walls left, they're all fallen down, so its just a big pile of rocks. I understood the article, but what Im talking about is that maybe I need a helmet that is more snellesque in its testing, where it dosent just hit flat pavement and an edge, we're talking like...box sized rocks so the impact would be over a smaller surface area than just a flat surface impact.

Jack: Yeah, I kinda do need some venting because Southern NH is alot warmer than portland, and I do intend to do some longer distance riding (150ish miles to mount washington). Im still leaning towards the HJC at this point because of the venting issues.

New question: Who gets good rates on their insurance and what carrier do you have? So far the best I've found is progressive.

________

MEDICAL MARIJUANA NEWS

Ok, so I have settled on a Suomy Extreme with BSI certs...jack, you're angelina jolie analogy about Arai holds true with the Suomy Extreme too. Fits like...well, a quality helmet.

I have boots already, nice sturdy pants, a jacket picked out, and a helmet picked too. What am I missing?

________

M111 ENGINE

Ok, so I have settled on a Suomy Extreme with BSI certs...jack, you're angelina jolie analogy about Arai holds true with the Suomy Extreme too. Fits like...well, a quality helmet.

I have boots already, nice sturdy pants, a jacket picked out, and a helmet picked too. What am I missing?

gloves and a tinted face shield (if your helmet doesn't come with one).

That was a Bell helmet add from the 1970's If you have a $10 head buy a $10 helmet, sorry, he stole it and add in some inflation. Check MAW.com they have the best prices. Go to a show and try them all on, helmet companys all use a different mold and one that is great for some will give others a blasting headache. The NH police like to see us wearing helmets and appropriate clothing and I found from experience will cut you some slack when thay catch you. I had a couple let me go for minor lapses in good judgement and tell me they did it because of how I was dressed. It isn't a get out of jail free but it hasn't hurt. Have fun and we'll see you on the road.

Paul

Hey and I was afraid of doing that with my autocross helmet and clothing in my car bucled with harness belt. I guess if they caught me in my car wearing helmet they would try to give me some extra "Grand Prix" points for being a "good, defensive" driver :D