Note to New Members ×

Newbie and board length suggestions

chotoboydave

I have boarded for the last 7 years and now making the switch to hard plate carving, i've tried it a few times, but now going to purchase.

i'm 5'6", 165lbs and thought about a F2 158 speedcross

Do you think this is a good size? a guy at Donek suggested a 167. I thought that was a little long for someone who is just starting.

Let me know what you think................

A board in the 160 to 170cm range would probably be a good starting point. 158 is on the short side for carving.

I've never ridden a F2 Speedcross, but it sounds like a boardercross board (wide + small sidecut radius). I would bet that a Donek FC would carve better than the Speedcross.

And I happen to have a Donek FCII 163 for sale. And because it happens to be the end of the season, I will drop the price to $350 + shipping.

Check out this link for pics and more info:

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=10421

The Donek FCII will be good for learning how to carve and it will hold it's own as you get better.

how much easier it is to learn on a shorter board at first, especially if you don't have ideal runs and other people to deal with. If you envision buying only one board in the next two seasons go for something in the mid 160s. Otherwise most people I know have found it easier to learn on a shorter board and buy something longer as you gain experience. It also depends on how often you ride. If you only get out ten times a season, you won't outgrow the 158 very quickly. If you ride 40 plus times then maybe go longer.

BobD

My opinion - and this comes from vivid memories of my carving experience - is that sidecut and stiffness matter much more than length. As far as sidceut goes I think 10.5 - 11.5 is a good place to start, and get something stiff enough so that you won't fold it easily and throw you over the front like happened to me when I started (then-185 pounder on a Donek FC 163 originally)... but soft enough so you can easily bend it.

Maybe a used Volkl RT 168 or 173 or a Madd 170, or a Burton UP 168 or a Donek FC 171 from one of the softer vintages (03/04 and 04/05 were very stiff) would be good?

Too short, soft, or turny a board won't do you any favors, any more than too long, stiff or non-turny.

If it's too short the sweet spot will be microscopic and you'll have a tough time riding aggressivkey, which is key to progression in this sport.

Too soft and it'll be unstable, again preventing you from riding aggressively which will stunt your growth as a carver.

Too turny and it'll tire you out. Super-turny is really good if you ride at a low-vertical resort of course.

I still find super-short boards hard to ride, after 120+ days on plates and 350+ days total riding. I find mid-length, mid-sidecut boards the easiest... Donek FC 175 w/ 11.75 m sidecut is the easist yet for me.

length of board vs your size isnt as important with a carving board. if youre 120 pounds riding a 170 and skidding/ ploughing, youre ganna get really tired really fast. however, carving causes much less friction and a longer board isnt too much more fatiguing to carve. The main difference in size is stability vs sharper turning. a short board can turn much sharper than a longer board, while a longer board is more stable at high speed.

but for a beginner, a long board is cumbersome and difficult to manuver, so id definately go with the 158.

and if youve got crowds and narrow runs, short boards are usefull too. its nice to see youre growing a quiver, because due to differences in runs, crowds, conditions, and riding styles, it really is impossible to get one board to do it all (although the pogo longboard is pretty close!)

great comments, I'm going on my 3rd year with a season pass at Heavenly, thus haven't boarded on other resorts, trying to milk all that I can out of the season pass. Heavenly gets crowded and doesn't have a lot of open bowls, somewhat narrow runs and always dodging kooks. thanks for the feedback, i have a pretty good idea of what to purchase. peace out

and generally has decent snow

so I would say aim for something with a 11ish SCR

boards with a small scr are tiring and don't carve too well if at all at higher speeds

that said if you plan on moving to ontario and ride somthing with a 500 ft vert a super turny ride would be THE tool

another thing is turny decks can really send you for a ride (think cartwheels) in soft snow

both things have been said already but thats my 2 cents anyway

great comments, I'm going on my 3rd year with a season pass at Heavenly, thus haven't boarded on other resorts, trying to milk all that I can out of the season pass. Heavenly gets crowded and doesn't have a lot of open bowls, somewhat narrow runs and always dodging kooks. thanks for the feedback, i have a pretty good idea of what to purchase. peace out

Hey, I'll be there in January....