Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2017/18

bobble

12/26/17

cold. somewhere around -3F ~ 0F.  ski teams set up a course skiers-right of crossroads. milkrun must've had a course.

i had difficulty. board was really slow on the snow. had to hop to get started. i couldn't get too aggressive or i'd blow out. hurt to fall.

not a problem for randy... he outlasted me.

DSCN2527.JPG

• Like 3

Who was out there carving today? I could see on the webcam that they were still making snow on the north slope (bunny hill) and the wind was carrying a cloud of snow over Cross/milk where there were some nice trenches visible.

Do you guys still do a New Year's Day early bird session at Buck? 

Looks like Buck doesn't open til noon tomorrow.

Edited by bigwavedave

14 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

Who was out there carving today? I could see on the webcam that they were still making snow on the north slope (bunny hill) and the wind was carrying a cloud of snow over Cross/milk where there were some nice trenches visible.

Do you guys still do a New Year's Day early bird session at Buck? 

Looks like Buck doesn't open til noon tomorrow.

i was at home all day. had car trouble. i'm not sure when i can make it out tomorrow (new years day).

12/31/17

went at noon. place was dead. temp was -3F. not sure of the windchill.

just a handful of skiers and two snowboarders. more people tubing then were on the hill.

race camp had used up olympic and half crossroads. they were already tracked out, same with milkrun. they were gone at noon. 

tried warners, geezus. grooming sucked. bad case of acne.

the rail yard has no features. nice long mellow run. spent a couple runs there. be good for carving on softboots.

1/2/18

Fresh thin layer of real snow, felt a lot faster compared to last time I was out. Snow was great, a little rough from racers and I noticed there is a lot of snow on Crossroads compared to Milk Run. There is a spot about 3/4th the way up the hill where Crossroads must have 5 feet of more snow. It starts dropping off when you get close to the middle between the runs (where the lift is). I usually carve there a lot because that's where the good snow is still left but there's a bit of a drop off.

At the bottom of my second run, when I was going straight to the lift I could lift my toe up... Running steps in, and the only thing I can think of was I didn't loop my toe in before I stepped in and did that whole run like that... ops.

On 1/3/2018 at 10:20 AM, DonPablo said:

1/2/18

I noticed there is a lot of snow on Crossroads compared to Milk Run. There is a spot about 3/4th the way up the hill where Crossroads must have 5 feet of more snow. It starts dropping off when you get close to the middle between the runs (where the lift is). I usually carve there a lot because that's where the good snow is still left but there's a bit of a drop off.

Just looked at Buck's webcam. It looks like they put a mogul field between Cross & Milk:confused: just south of the chair.

48 minutes ago, bigwavedave said:

Just looked at Buck's webcam. It looks like they put a mogul field between Cross & Milk:confused: just south of the chair.

icky, that must have been why there was so much extra snow there. That's the most moguls I think I've seen at buck and its right in the prime real estate where I like to ride =(

The plus to the moguls is that they actually resemble real moguls, not the deep divots we normally see. I noticed on the webcam Wednesday night, that the groomer flattened the mogul field, then rebuilt the whole thing. I could see today the the moguls looked even friendlier than on Wednesday.

Edited by BobD

1/6/18

temp warmed to 17F. place wasn't too crowded. good snow.

races on milkrun but emptied out. skiers right was decent for carving.

the mogul field is a tad too long. almost reaches the bottom. fortunately it's a kid magnet so that works. 

good riding with you erik!

1/7/18

got there close to opening. the parking lot was almost full. had to park at the far end of the lot on north side. there was a long line at the main ticket office that wrapped around back into the parking lot. only took 30 seconds to get mine at the ski school. 

there was competition going on in the red tail/terrain park. they roped it off you couldn't cross over from teachers pet. talked to a ski patrol. the guy said that the rail yard isn't expected to have jumps this season. fine with me. the jumps on teachers pet looked big.

milkrun had a course that was later taken down. crossroads was busy with families. the lift line was long but not on the new lift.

spent most time on olympic and the snow was veRRRrrrRRRy goot.

I was out Sat and Sunday evening. Saturday was nice, cold and pretty quiet. Raced NASTAR

Sunday was warmer and really crowded, I rarely have to stop carving when going down the hill but with the extra people from the warm weather and moguls there was no room. Was there really to just race at ski challenge

1/8/18

out at lunch. snow was ok. temp was high 30's.

not sure i liked Olympic today. had some bumps and/or depressions but it was very firm.

sorry @bigwavedave. I would've liked to ride the chair with you but couldn't wait... had to get my 8 runs in before heading back.

I was riding with another ski patrol (the guy with white helmet on teles). he said a new guy from afton did the work for the mogul field. the guy quit afton because he didn't like the direction Vale was taking.

Roder over on Olympic a lot before anyone else got over there.

7C03DDFE-AB30-41A6-969E-FE529FF5A258.thumb.jpeg.3364dde5be4876536d7d9e5d785cede5.jpeg

Got a shot Bob looking smooth~under the chair~ Tried to catch up with you, but I was just a few chairs back!

B839D009-32B3-47B3-821F-ED2E42E89788.thumb.jpeg.446769d0984f6ee28f120e432b8b76d6.jpeg

A selfie on the first run...

vlcsnap-3026-08-26-12h58m01s414.png.59b3ae92bb52c4857f716f1d4dda6fae.png

Snow was nice!

...oh yea, ran into @MN Surfer out for a few turns (right after you left @bobble)

Edited by bigwavedave
  • Like 1

@bobble Yea, you were heading out. I had just taken a short break to change boards and ran into MNsurfer clipping in at the bottom of the lift.

I have to say, I had a lot more fun than usual at Buck Monday riding my new "baby" Coiler with a tight 9-10scr. Made it much more interesting to be so maneuverable. Milk had the best snow early, but as it got busier I found more room to carve over on Olympic and Warners. Not as much fun when I hopped on the big board.

1/13/18

got there at opening. car thermometer read -5F. there was a lot of cars there. races going on. later the blizzard ski school showed up. place was unusually crowded for such cold weather.

• snow was good except they roped off half of the remaining space on crossroads and set up a course.
  • milkrun had races going on. fortunately there wasn't many skiers doing warm up runs.
  • olympic was off limits.
  • warners had a course.
  • did a couple leisure runs in the railyard. wish it was just a little faster.

ROSEMOUNT SKI-BOOTS

stumbled across this wiki page about Rosemount Ski Boots. very unique design to start... the boots had to be entered from the side.

631899449_ee209aa8fe_o.thumb.jpg.939e76cf354f9cc9206d2e43bbbb6869.jpg

according to wiki... plastic ski boots were invented here in minnesota by Rosemount Engineering. i would have never guessed. the company manufactured sensors for just about everything; temperature, pressure, etc. it's now Emerson. a friend mine worked there. 

from the obit of the founder of Rosemount and inventor of ski boot...

In 1965, Rosemount tried something totally different: ski boots. The avid skier was dissatisfied with leather ski footwear, so he invented one of the first molded plastic ski boots. Bootmaking, however, didn’t prove a core competency; Rosemount sold its ski boot division in 1968.

maybe the first plastic boots were tested at hyland, or buck?

1/15/18

last night got 3-4 inches of fresh snow. temp was 5F. windchill was -18F. wind was brutal at the top. 

the new snow was groomed. i kind of wish they didn't groom... something different.

i had crossroads to myself. left deep cuts into the run. eventually went over to milkrun where the snow was very soft. did a couple runs. biffed one of my jumps off the knoll. the nose of the board just stuck and i got thrown forward onto chest. no injuries. bet it looked cool from the chair.  :cool:

hardly anyone there. just some kids doing race training. 

11 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

@bobble

Saw two pairs of Rosemounts on display at Wild today. I actually remember when these first came out. They were futuristic compared to our leather lace-up boots.

5a5ea3a011e30_IMG_1860(2).JPG.e6811a60ba5e08353dd0922a7b6e67b4.JPG

i never saw those. i started skiing probably late 70's. i remember when i saw hanson boots and thought they looked like right out of star wars.

this weather really sucks. thought about going to spirit this weekend but temps are just as bad. the silver lining to all of this is red Bull Crashed Ice this weekend.

weather.png.ca3dd7802d9903b8bdfd66c0a5999a01.png

1/17/18

conditions were meh. crossroads was already chewed up. forget milkrun. rutted.

been following buck's instagram. they posted photos of them building jumps near the rope tow. lots of kids "where are the big jumps?". wonder how long until buck caves into demand. I was riding the rail yard last night. its not too bad just to cruise.

1/18/18

went in evening. the place was the most crowded i've seen. i had problems finding a place to park. i almost went home but the line to exit was just as bad as entering. it was crazy.

i started out in rail yard and waited till beer league started their race. crossroads was ok.

EL KABONG

on chair i heard a loud FWAAAAAAAPPPP!!! followed by skiers yelling. turned around to see a beer leaguer had smacked into the lift tower towards the bottom. meanwhile ski patrol was doing maneuvers in the mogul field. skiers on the chairlift were yelling at the ski patrol to check out the skier. they were completely oblivious to the situation or didn't want to be bothered. when i went down the run i didn't see anyone hurt.

saw a kid who didn't know how to turn his skis go right into the mogul field. i cringed when he went airborn on first mogul, airborn on second, then landed on back. he seemed okay.

MAKE BUCK HILL GREAT AGAIN

buck's instagram page cracks me up. kids are trashing the comments. they want the BIG JUMPS in the rail yard.

my favorite is "We need last year back #makebuckgreatagain"

i think it would suck to be the social media manager. every instagram post they make will receive comments "where are the jumps?". 

i look forward to reading future instagram comments. i am curious if they will put the big jumps bacl. there isn't enough snow.

jumps.png.605c3f63188b2a224808df554fc19f77.png