Note to New Members ×

Anyone familiar with Raichle SB222's?

carverbob

I am looking at a pair of Raichle SB222's. Is anyone out there familiar with that model? Is it softer than the SB223's? I am 6'2", 185 Lbs., and while I am a relative beginner carver, I don't want something too soft for support, and to progress in (or do I?). It does not show up on the matrix of Raichle/Deeluxe models previously posted on BOL.

Thanks!

Raichle.doc

Go to http://www.alpinecarving.com/boot_models.html and scroll down to the table. It shows the 222 is a 3-buckle boot which may not be supportive enough for a 185 pound rider. The Raichle 3-buckle boots have two buckles on the foot and one just above the ankle.

I am a fan of boots that allow for plenty of movement but are still supportive, especially for begintermediates. I was about your weight when I started carving and the x24/423/LeMans vintage was spot-on. If I could do it over again I wold have ridden them in "powder mode" rather than locked; the biggest problem that plagued me my first two seasons on plates was that I was unable to move around on my board and rode with my whole body too stiff all the time.

Usually the larger sizes of the 3-buckle boots had a velcro strap on top. This can easily be replaced by a fourth buckle. However, according to alpinecarving the 222 had just the 3 buckles and no strap, in which case I would advise to stay away from it: You might very soon miss the additional support of the top buckle.

Thank you all for the feedback and links to information. I have decided not to get the 222's, and am now considering the x24's and other 4 buckle models. I am in no hurry, as I only have a couple of days left to ride this year and have a pair of Raichle's hybrid "SkiBoard" boots that will suffice for now.

Best regards,