Note to New Members ×

Great Morning (Gloat)

Dave Winters

What a surprise! Mid winter conditions here. Yesterday: 7" new, 18 degrees with a wind all day. Bluebird skies, but it never warmed up due to the wind. This morning: Last Monday Morning Carve Club of the year, and the consensus was that it was one of the best if not the best. Perfect dry corduroy on a firm base, bluebird skies again, super grippy, no one around. Even runs that are very popular were absolutely empty. Had to leave early to pick up my kindergartner from school, but my legs were just about pau anyway.

Sorry, had to share.

What a surprise! Mid winter conditions here. Yesterday: 7" new, 18 degrees with a wind all day.
Dude... this is getting ridiculous at Tahoe... full winter conditions (25-30 degrees), it snowed 6-8 feet of slightly heavy snow (not quite Sierra cement, but definitely a little heavy) over this last weekend and it's going to snow for the rest of the week as well. I'm worried that we are using up our snow karma or something.

Well its April 5th, and its been raining every day of this month, and tahoe is getting more snow with each storm. Last night Heavenly got 12" of new.

Now March, which is why I started this post. Alpine meadows received 16.2 FEET of snow in March. Yes 16.2 feet. They probably got another 3-6 feet more in the 5 days of April, and we got another few days of rain in the forcast.

So for all you guys whose mountains have closed or will be closing soon (northstar on April 23rd), it should be a nother great spring and summer in Tahoe. Get your cars packed, and make the trip. Squaw, Alpine and Mammoth will likely stay open until at least Memorial Day, and we might get another 4th of July for skiing riding.

The best part of that is you can board in the morning, and then mtn bike or water ski, or ?? in the afternoon. Man you gotta love Tahoe. Its not the best, but its pretty damm good.

So for all you guys whose mountains have closed or will be closing soon (northstar on April 23rd), it should be a nother great spring and summer in Tahoe. Get your cars packed, and make the trip. Squaw, Alpine and Mammoth will likely stay open until at least Memorial Day, and we might get another 4th of July for skiing riding.

Mammoth has already confirmed a closing date after July 4th at the least. Currently the base is 20-22ft and its still coming down!! Its quite funny to walk DOWN to the 3rd floor sun deck at the main lodge from the snow.