Note to New Members ×

second time alpine boarding AKA raceboards on hard pack cordoroy :)

lex

i am pleased to say that my second time out on my lotus was amazing! walked ten minutes from my apartment to the tram car, paid 15$ for a morning pass and headed up. it was very cloudy in chur, but the runs were all above the clouds. blue ski and nothing but glistening snow covered trees, and snow covered mountains as far as you could see. it was a world between worlds.

got there at open and there were three people there. one was a hardbooter and we went for a few runs together. he showed me some things but his german was fast and difficult to understand.

i made a few runs down the blue (easy) runs, then i went up to the top (this area has a whole 4 piste). the ride up the chair lift was amazing! the view... the run was steeper but it forced me to really get up to speed on the board and make some arcs. since there were only a few people on the mountain, i got to inspect my trenches (er.. skids). by 10am there were about 15-20 people at the whole area, 4 or 5 of them were alpine riders! weekdays here are amazing, empty open groomed runs.

my heel side improved a lot and it is the better of my two. i can get the board to flex and i can feel and hear it lock into a carve. transitions from heel to toe are a little tricky, i am missing the optimal point in the arc to start the turn. toe side skids a lot more, harder to lock into the carve.. do i need to drop the back knee more to get the flex, feels like it. also feels like the on heel fide my from foot locks it in while on toe my back foot locks it.

heel to toe transitions are still uneasy feeling, when changing edges i am afraid my nose will catch.. but i lean down hill and place my weight at my front toe edge and it usually transitions

holy ****! this board is fast!!! (i need a helmet!) it needs speed to carve but it takes off. the steeper runs got more more confident with the speed so i could practice at faster speeds on the easy runs. it is the most amazing feeling to carve an arc and high speed. it is the feeling that lacked when i was on my little soft board. the feeling of speed with stability! i love it, totally hooked. once you are carving is there a way to slow down? i usually have to make a few turns then skid a bit to slow down and then start again.

all in all i can not wait to get back out. this morning was amazing. i expect my skill to keep improving as i learn the kinesthetic and balance. i just have to make it through friday and then my roommate and i are going out saturday!

tuckerman's is awesome! im going there in a few weeks. I doubt i'll bring my board because that just seems way beyond my level. It could defintly use some lift service but then the place would be packed. It wouldn't be half as rewarding either.

also, defintly get a helmet lex. Some may argue against it but it has defintly saved me more than once. Ride on.