Note to New Members ×

you like heelsides better?

DiveBomber

I hear some people say they like heelside turns better, and im trying to understand this. Why is that? I mean i feel like i could fall on my butt at any time, feel uncomfortably squashed down and twisted, and find it harder to carve back up the hill and feel like i could catch my toeside edge and face plant, not to mention its harder to look up hill and make sure you dont get nailed by those damn skiers

Guest NEngineer

I too am a lot more confident on my heel side edge. It just feels like I can trasfer a lot more power to the edge during a heel side turn than on my toe side turn. The trenches are deeper too.

the articles in the "Tech Articles" section helped a lot when I was starting to learn. Check them out.

Currently working on the toe side turn. Been playing around with Cant and stance width to figure out what works.

When the snow is hard, the speed is fast, and the G-forces high, it seems like it is easier to sit on that left hip (if you're regular) and just jam that edge right into the snow and just crank the board into a super tight, hard carve. The toeside body position is easier to get into on the easier stuff for me since it's a pretty relaxed pose, but when the snow gets harder, it's harder for me to really pressure that toe edge and make it solid.

I felt like you did for a while - it was uncomfortably twisted and squashed, but now the tension in my body feels good - it feels like I am powering the board.

Heelsides v. toesides.....

My rt knee looks like a good reason to prefer heelsides at times. I didn't take my knee pads to CO last week because I haven't fallen in a season. We had pow conditions after Wed and 2 days of afternoon highs into the 50's(lows into the teens) prior to that. Yes, I hooked a "death cookie" :biggthump

I thought I cracked my knee cap initially.....Now it just looks like a did...

My ass is infinitely more cushioned than my knee :biggthump

But, when you first learn to carve, toeside is stronger and heelside can have all kinds of issues. I think two things then happen, we all work harder to perfect our heelside and when we get it dialed in, the angulation is stronger than a toeside can ever be. The poor neglected toeside is left to look after it's self and never gets the thought and work that went into heelsides.

BobD

But, when you first learn to carve, toeside is stronger and heelside can have all kinds of issues. I think two things then happen, we all work harder to perfect our heelside and when we get it dialed in, the angulation is stronger than a toeside can ever be. The poor neglected toeside is left to look after it's self and never gets the thought and work that went into heelsides.

BobD

Nice assessment Bob. In the early days, the toeside carve was much easier. Nowadays I prefer the heelside. I think you've analyzed it perfectly.

My harebrained theory is that when you start out on green or blue runs as a beginner->intermediate carver, your toeside is strong because you have a small joint (the ankle) with which you can quickly make small adjustments. When you start going mach 5 on steep, hard snow, the toeside is weak because you have a small joint (the ankle), which is soft and collapses instead of directly tranferring power to the board :p

Everyone carves slightly differently, but ive noticed two major styles... the most popular i found is one geared towards feeling huge G-Forces, the other is more for speed. the G-Force riders seem to prefer the heelside carve, while i find that toeside carves are perferred by the speed junkies. perhaps styles cause different oppinions on heelside?

Guest azrcd5

I've always like my toe sides bettter. I find I can control the radius and thus speed of the turn better. However, the big trenches do come when you crank on a heelside, but I am never comfortable with it.