Note to New Members ×

sugaring (maple syrup)

bobdea

anyone else do this?

This year I will probably end up with a gallon or so maybe more if tap the trees out back by the end of the week.

If I ever get around to building a big evaporator maybe I will start doing more, my dream would be to do around 75 to 100 gallons a year.

I would sure like to figure out how to do a small scale reverse osmosis setup so I could make do with a smaller evaporator setup

I happen to work for a company that makes maple syrup evaporators (one of the biggest). I always liked maple syrup, but since I work there, now I know a little more about it. One of the advantages of working there is that each year, we get a couple of cans of maple syrup. And this year, the company came up with a new machine to make maple butter, so I got some (the machine to be tested after all!).

My girlfriend's family does. Her grandfather lives on about 80 acres of land in Warren, NH and about 20% of the trees are maples. They built a sugaring shack back in the 30s to make and sell their syrup. They'v since stopped selling it, but it tastes good all the same. The proverbial Blood, Sweat, and Tears all go in every year (usually literally ;) ) but its the only kind of syrup I like. Mmmmm Good.

Derf, Whats maple butter?

________

Fordl?ndia specifications

Man do I love maple butter, but cannot find the time to make it. If you find it handy, could you post the recipe for us?

I tried a few years back but had some old syrup (sirop) heh

Derf, is it true that you need fresh syrup to make the buttah?

My Ex G/f's parents had a 80- 100 barrel a year sugarbush near Cabano QC and we went there every spring to help out. Man was it neat. But after a while, you get sugared out and need some real food.

anyone else do this?

This year I will probably end up with a gallon or so maybe more if tap the trees out back by the end of the week.

If I ever get around to building a big evaporator maybe I will start doing more, my dream would be to do around 75 to 100 gallons a year.

I would sure like to figure out how to do a small scale reverse osmosis setup so I could make do with a smaller evaporator setup

Bob, while yer at it , set up a machine that turns corn into whiskey.Then you could make some maple bourbon. :barf::freak3: