Note to New Members ×

riding for special needs people??

bjvircks

Last night, as I was anticipating my upcoming trip to Steamboat with my son, I saw a group of 'special needs' young adults. I thought about how much of a thrill these folks would have if someone would spend a day with them and get them skidding around on freeride boards.

Has anyone been involved with anything like this? I'm thinking of using the summer to put out feelers to see if anyone here in Iowa might be interested.

Any thoughts?

we see them on a regular basis on our home mountain. I really admire the courage it must take to do this. Imagine doing what we do at even slow speeds with your eyes closed.....there's also another individual that is in a "sit-down" rig where he's guided from behind by a skier. Maybe that's something for you to look into Gleb?

good thread,

Paul

we see them on a regular basis on our home mountain. I really admire the courage it must take to do this. Imagine doing what we do at even slow speeds with your eyes closed.....there's also another individual that is in a "sit-down" rig where he's guided from behind by a skier. Maybe that's something for you to look into Gleb?

good thread,

Paul

thats probably what bob is reffering to as me not having enough time to get trained to do. That would absolutly be something i would want to do though.

Special skills...well, you know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills... (napoleon dynamite)

I don't think those will come into use:) I'm going to look into some of the organizations around here and see how i can help them. Defintly a good thread.

Thanks to everyone for giving this some thought! Keep the ideas and contacts coming.

The people I want to work with are (how to say this in proper PC terms) mentally challenged in different ways. Some are mongoloid, others have various mental, psychological or emotional conditions. It would seem that the special skills most required would be patience and caring. Has anyone had any experiences with sharing any sports like skiing and snowboarding with these kinds of challenged older teens or young adults? Sorry, that wasn't a fair question... just by definition any older teen IS a psychological AND emotional condition. :smashfrea ( I've got 2! ;) )

We were at Holimont in Ellicottville a few weekends ago and we had the luck to ride up with the person who runs the adaptive ski program there. He said they are constantly looking for volunteers to teach and help - to teach understandbly requires more training, but to volunteer requires much less.

He mentioned working with autistic, Downs, spina bifida and paraplegics. Some are on "regular" equipment, while they also use sitskis and sitsnowboards. He said the smiles on the person's faces make it all worthwhile.

He said most areas have a program, so look into it. You get a free lift ticket out of it at Holimont!

The local outreach program here in my town for disabled persons is called Common Ground. It not only involves winter activities but year round outings like biking, kayaking, fishing and rafting.

There's a kid who rips at my local area on a 'sit-ski'. He's up there every weekend on a monoshock seat attached to a custom fitted chair. I'm inspired everytime I see him riding fast and railing turns.

Mark