Note to New Members ×

what are the td2 bolts made of?

kevbo

What kind of BUTTER are these bolts made of?:angryfire Second day on my new td 2's first run was great. Now on the second run my back foot comes loose. So I Get out my trusty T allen wrench and fix the situation. After atempting to loosen all the bolts, TWO of the bolts holding the rear binding are shot. The heads are completely gone and rounded out. I just wonder what kind of metal is used. Un-friggin-real!:barf: Anyone know how to get the stripped bolts out? Any help would be great. Does anyone make titanium super alloy friggin bolts?

Thanks

kr:(

four seasons out of a set of the bolts that come with cateks and those have a cheesy 4 mil head on 'em

no idea what the problem was but it might have been that they were soft for some reason

more likely though is that you either had a wrench with a rounded head or you had a bit of ice in the heads of the screws

the solution to get them out is called a easy out, most hardware stores have them for around 3 dollars

All the bolts on the TD2 are stainless steel. The M6 that hold the binding to the board are custom as are the toe and heel bail screws. The M8 that hold the top plate to the cants are standard and you can buy a bunch of them online if you want. The shoulder bolts on the ti bindings are of course, titanium!

Guest alakata
What kind of BUTTER are these bolts made of?:angryfire Second day on my new td 2's first run was great. Now on the second run my back foot comes loose. So I Get out my trusty T allen wrench and fix the situation. After atempting to loosen all the bolts, TWO of the bolts holding the rear binding are shot. The heads are completely gone and rounded out. I just wonder what kind of metal is used. Un-friggin-real!:barf: Anyone know how to get the stripped bolts out? Any help would be great. Does anyone make titanium super alloy friggin bolts?

Thanks

kr:(

dude your allen is probably ruined or a size small

Kevbo,

My first disclaimer here is that I have no idea on the situation with your current screws on the TD2 and certainly was not there when it happened. However, after selling plate bindings with hex-head bolts for the past 15 years I can tell you this. The top three reasons we have seen stripped hex heads on our bindings are:

1) Snow in the socket. The SMALLEST amount of snow or ice in the socket raises the hex key up enough in the socket to allow the head to strip. You HAVE to remove all snow and ice from the socket before trying to tighten or loosen.

2) Low quality or rounded 5mm Hex Key. This one will sneak up on you as it has with me. Given enough time and uses a hex key can get a bit rounded on the corners. Either buy a new one or grind the tip down. This is what we do with our demo wrenches and have had them in the demo fleet for over 5 years, we just grind the tips down now and then. Side note: if you do a number 1 (above) there is now a good chance the wrench is also rounded off.

3) Using a 3/16" Hex Key. Yes, we have seen this one more times then I care to think about. :rolleyes: Seems hard to do but it is not. 3/16" come darn close (4.76mm) but using it just begs for a stripped socket.

The screws for the TD2 are custom made as a stock flat head M6 screw actually comes with a 4mm socket. These are VERY prone to stripping in our opinion and thus the reason we have 5mm socket ones made. If the above 3 situations are avoided then those screws should out last you. We have some TD2 screws in our demo fleet that are over 4 years old and have probably seen 50+ mount and dismounts. But we are adamant about getting the snow out and using a good quality (and clean) hex wrench.

Also Jacks recommendation is sound, grease those screws! Greasing the bolts makes them tighter (true!) and a breeze to remove. Once again, we grease all the screws in the demo fleet and they are real easy to work with in all conditions.

FYI: replacement screws for the TD2 can be ordered here: http://www.bomberonline.com/store/bindings/parts_td2.cfm

fin

Thanks for the input. The grease is probably a good idea. The wrench is brand new from your store. Not even a scratch on it. Maybe there might have been some snow, maybe a bad batch of bolts, I don't know. I love the bindings, I guess my frustration level was at all time highs regarding this situation. I will order more bolts and hopefully this wont be a consistent issue.

Thanks

kr:)

:biggthump