Note to New Members ×

Do you think?

scotts.Scheinman

aye or nay  

23 members have voted

1. 1. aye or nay

• Aye get it it can work
    • Nay its too large

The only shape I see on the Dupraz Web site right now is a boat-nose that reminds me of the O-sin 4807 http://06.dupraz-ch.com/index.php?topgroupid=3&groupid=24. Is that the board you're thinking about?

They do pitch it for all-around use, but to me it looks like something that would be best if you're riding a lot of powder - given your location outside of Chicago, I'm not sure if that will be the case. If you look at the Chamonix carving <a href="http://www.dupraz-ch.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=19&pos=3">video</a>, you can see the nose vibrating quite a lot in the carve, which is the same behavior I get from my 4807. Don't get me wrong, riding groomers on the 4807 is still fun, but I only take that board if I know there's some fresh snow to be had. If I'm only planning on riding groomers on a given day, I'd pick a dedicated carving deck.

Finally, aren't those boards rather expensive? I'm guessing that you could pick up a 4807 for around $200, maybe less.

All of which is to say that even if we don't think about size, that board just doesn't seem like a very logical selection to me.

The shape does work exceptionally in powder, however if it's anything like a Pogo Longboard, it makes a good freecarver as well. I've never ridden a Dupraz, but i'm assuming it rides roughly the same since their shapes are very simmilar. 179 will probably be a little big for you, even though riding on that shape is like riding a board about 15cm shorter but if they have it a little smaller i'd suggest getting a different size.

Actually, alpine shapes work terrific in POW at high speeds ( I know from experience, too )

they work nowhear near as good as a standard freeride board and especially not as good as a pow-specific board

scott, youll find people claming to ride everything everywhere, and of course its possible, but the argument that some boards are better at some things is perfectly valid

that said...why the Dupraz? its a sweet lookin board, but very expensive, and somewhat specialized...

do you ride super deep that often? maybe you can score a 4807 or other swallowtail like Dan said, for much cheaper?

The 4807 in a 168 makes good sense if you aren't going to be sticking big air and just want a pow board for occaisional use. The tail will be less fragile stock than any swallowtail and the boat hull nose will pop to the surface easily. Unless you just gotta have the Dupraz!

The Dupraz only has the edge contact of a 156 cm board. i rode 1 for 3 hours in all different kinds of snow at Loveland this year. A fun board and very versatile. Excells in deep powder but is fun to ride in bumps chop and groommed snow. I rode it with soft boots but will ride it again with hard boots when I finish paying the board off- i put 1 on layaway at all Board sports. I weigh 185 and am 5'10''. i will try it with my raichille Lemans boots next. It is easy to ride and forgiving. You can ride powder without putting weight on your back leg. It is designed to be ridden with either hard or soft boots. Some people are using it for extreme carving as an alternative to the swoard. I think you will like this board- the flex pattern is soft so you don't have to be 200 lbs to be able to ride it. You can get real aggresive in powder with it and crank turns like you are surfing. I was leaving big trenches in the powder. Have fun!

Guest thomas_m

I've been riding a Dupraz all over the place in Washington for the last couple months. It carves fine on hardpack. The only place I've wished for something else was very steep, tight, treed double blacks. Something easier to swing around like a Fish or my Lib SnowMullet work better for me there.

The Dupraz rides like a 160cm board until you get into powder, then the nose helps. You have to get used to not diving on the nose, riding very centered, more surfy than a standard board. The tail feels pretty stiff to me, lots of pop. The only thing I DON'T like about the Dupraz is all the attention it generates. Every one wants to talk about it, especially lifties.

If Bola says it will work, it will work. I'd trust his opinion without reservation. If you look closely at the latest Dupraz video here, you'll see there is a smaller woman carrying one.

New Dupraz Video

I'd be more concerned about why, where and how often you'll be able to ride one 'outside Chicago'... But, this is supposed to be fun, if riding a Dupraz will help you have more fun, wherever you are, then you need to be riding a Dupraz.

PacNW crew, if any of you want to demo my Dupraz, softies or plates, all you have to do is let me know and get up to Washington. I'm trying to get down to Meadows with the Dupraz, Tanker & Happy Monkey sometime soon too.

T.

PacNW crew, if any of you want to demo my Dupraz, softies or plates, all you have to do is let me know and get up to Washington. I'm trying to get down to Meadows with the Dupraz, Tanker & Happy Monkey sometime soon too.

T.

Ahhh, threadjacking. :)

Would be awesome to see you at Meadows! You'll have to move fast, because they're closing a little early this year: April 16 rather than early May as in past years. I'd be really interested in checking out the Happy Monkey and the Tanker...less so the Dupraz because I fear having to pay for it :eek: in case of accidents or misfortune.

If you're able to make the Oregon Expression Session at Bachelor, that would be pretty cool too: www.oregones.com

Guest thomas_m
Ahhh, threadjacking. :)

Would be awesome to see you at Meadows! You'll have to move fast, because they're closing a little early this year: April 16 rather than early May as in past years. I'd be really interested in checking out the Happy Monkey and the Tanker...less so the Dupraz because I fear having to pay for it :eek: in case of accidents or misfortune.

If you're able to make the Oregon Expression Session at Bachelor, that would be pretty cool too: www.oregones.com

Trying for sometime this month - Probably drive down on a Friday night after work, overnight in Sandy to get an early start. I think Sandy (the person) is trying to get down there soon too.

Never been to Meadows, only Timberline, so will definitely need a clue!

T.

Trying for sometime this month - Probably drive down on a Friday night after work, overnight in Sandy to get an early start. I think Sandy (the person) is trying to get down there soon too.

Never been to Meadows, only Timberline, so will definitely need a clue!

T.

Awesome, try to post a day or two beforehand - I'll be there and I'm sure that you'll be able to rally some more of the Meadows posse too. We'd be happy to show you the good carving runs. I have ski check privileges on my season pass too, so I could help you check a few boards at the bottom and make them available to interested folks.