Note to New Members ×

Accidental Cant/lift: What went right/wrong?

Galen

So, I tried out the used Coiler I bought in Nov yesterday. 168 RC, made for someone 15-20lbs less then me. It rode great, my first ride on a board with more then a 10 meter sidecut (12.5m). today I went up again, and noticed as I got it out of the car that the front cant (TD2) instead of having 2.5* toe lift and 1.5* inward cant, it had 2.5* heel lift and 1.5* outward cant. I had mounted the cant ring 180* in the wrong direction! :smashfrea so I set it back to where I originally thought it was(toe lift, inward cant), and although it still rode pretty good, my heel to toeside transition went a little south and the tail would also wash out a little in mid heel side carves if i wasnt really pushing it. the tail washing out may be that the conditions were a bit icey, I dont know. Although conventional wisdom says I had it initially set up bass-akwards, I'm tempted to go back the way it was, or back to flat which is what I'm used to. Looks like I'll be doing some more fiddling tomorrow :freak3: Any thoughts? :confused:

he runs something similar to this and has had great results, although he breaks alot of equipment much to Fin's amazement. I was up with him yesterday and noticed his set-up, it's completely different from anyone else's I've ever seen, but he makes it work. As with anything you do, as long as it works for you, go with it!

Have fun,

Paul

I tried on a new boot-board-binding the other day for a change of pace. Never switched so much at once before. The boots were softer (324's) the board shorter (163 RT) and the bindings stiffer (Cateks vs. my old Burtons)

Result: I blew EVERY heelside all day.

This last week I've been isolating each change and the biggest factor was front cant/lift. The cateks had alot of in and toe lift, I usually ride flat front.

Comparing boots I noticed the last time I broke my front ankle I also apparantly locked about 2 degrees FORWARD(out?) cant into my 325's! So...

I dialed the cateks into alot of front cant/lift the Opposite way- (Heel lift and out/forward cant)

BLAMMM. More heel initation and power than I ever wanted. But, no control on the toes.

So I'm back flat but considering trying a "little" forward cant again in the front.

an article by Bruce V of Coiler called "you can if you cant." Check alpinecarving.com after the coiler homepage. He recommended outward cant (on the front foot i believe) for bow legged riders such as myself. I tried it a few times (outward cant on front, but haven't done it since beg. of last year, when a much more accomplished and experienced rider took one look and was like "WTH?? get rid of that, lol.." since then, I have forever (almost every time out) been playing with different combos of cant (I have the crappy Burton Universal cant). I suggest keeping a "cant journal" if you will so you can record how your riding was under a specific cant/lift/binding angle combo. Before you become an old man, you will likely become dialed in. :eplus2:

one other note, common sense tells me unless you have a deformity or "serious skeletal issues" (as Jack has written, lol), you can probably get away with different combos. Each one probably has pros and cons re: leverage, body position, efficiency, etc (perhaps the instructors/pros can chim in here...) Makes me wish there was a "quick change" cant/binding.

Good luck...

Barry

Well, I went back to flat in front, everything sorted itself back out. I'm still unsure as to why heel lift and outward cant in front did'nt feel much different then flat, though the fact that I ride in walk mode may explain why the heel lift didnt feel different. I"m going to try flat with a little outward cant next time I'm riding my Cateks.