Note to New Members ×

Why is ice slippery?

Kent

Interesting...my one lasting memory of the ice-steel interface equation comes from studying for the MCAT 20+ years ago where I remember memorizing that the friction coefficient of ice on ice was higher than steel on ice. I had no idea about all the forms of ice-you can keep them, ice coasters

People talk about the ice coast being good training for carving elsewhere. If you can carve on Callisto, then I imagine you really can carve anywhere. :D

You'd have to groom intensely... the surafec of Callisto is very, very, very dirty. Even Timberline shuts down long before the nsow gets that dirty :sleep:

Types if Ice:

from the Stratton Ski report:

Powder = Ice but you can fall without major trauma

Power Tilled/ Machine Groomed = we shaped the Ice into these nice ridges so it acts like a serrated knife and shreds anything that touches it: pants, jackets, gloves, skin have no chance of survival

Frozen Granular: Boiler Plate Ice with frozen death cookies so hard they will shatter your new $1000 carving skis/board if you come within an inch of them

Icy = we'll be hosting the women's short program on Upper Kidderbrook today at noon

Spring Condition = small shards of ice will randomly break off and attempt to stab you. We reccomend Body Armor and Goggles

I think the dirty snow would be much better!

Types if Ice:

from the Stratton Ski report:

Powder = Ice but you can fall without major trauma

Power Tilled/ Machine Groomed = we shaped the Ice into these nice ridges so it acts like a serrated knife and shreds anything that touches it: pants, jackets, gloves, skin have no chance of survival

Frozen Granular: Boiler Plate Ice with frozen death cookies so hard they will shatter your new $1000 carving skis/board if you come within an inch of them

Icy = we'll be hosting the women's short program on Upper Kidderbrook today at noon

Spring Condition = small shards of ice will randomly break off and attempt to stab you. We reccomend Body Armor and Goggles

I think the dirty snow would be much better!

thats freakin hilarious

Bringing up coeficient of friction on my day off. after long years of trying to rid myself of that term because of teh horror it created for me in college is now back in my mind. ARGH!!!!!! :freak3:

Actually it one of my favorite terms to ask someone at a drunken beer party, what they think the COF is of different things at the party and the blank stares I get.

Some of those parties have lead to me having a COF equal to one, laying face down in the front yard and no one can move me. :barf: Oh the good ole days. :biggthump

You know you're from the East coast when...

...you already knew that there was more than one type of ice.

...you can judge the type of ice without having to ride it first. The sound and the way the sun gleams off of it tell you what kind of day it will be.

...death cookies start to look tasty.

...the rails are softer than the slope.

...when you watch people fall doing the ice luge on TV, you cringe, but you can also relate.

...falling on steep slopes doesn't just mean hitting the slope, but rocketing like an egg in a greased teflon pan to the bottom of the slope and into the trees.

...wearing motorcycle leathers starts to sound like a good idea.

...carrying an ice axe also sounds like a good idea.

...your gloves look like they were put into a blender.

...your blender has a setting called "icy slope" - and it's the highest one.

...the mountain advises you not to look directly into the slope on sunny days for fear of burnt retinas.

I am a east coast rider in Lower PA. I can say ive ridden on REAL fallen snow about 5 times in my life. 99.99% of our stuff is the gun squirted stuff.

I was in Vail a few years ago and took a class.

The instructor said there was ice at the end of the trail.

I just went through and was trying to find the ice.

The snow did seem different, but nothing I didnt notice.

The people behind me skidded on the ice, crashed, etc.

.... It is true, if you can ride the Eastcoast plate ice you can ride anything.

Its at this point that questions arise as to whether East coast REALLY has ice or are we just belly-aching and exaggerating on how conditions get in our part of the country. Sorry if this gets off the subject or if I am barking up my own tree.

Yes,we get ice and I'm glad I grew up riding and skiing ice. It has made me a better rider and feeling glorified when I head west. One of my fondest memories was a trip to Colorado and on the lift at Breck. Started chatting with a local rider (back when I was in softies) on the lift and he ask if I wanted to ride some local stashes with him. "Of course", I replied. He then asked if I thought I could keep up being from the "Pennsyltucky". Thats right, I'm a silly hillbilly from PA, who loves snowboarding. I simply told him to lead and I would follow.

He lead me back thru some "uncharted territory" with about 12" of fresh in some pines and then gave me one glance back before he dropped in. I figured he had taken this route many times before, so just stick with him and I will be ok. That I did.

It was a cool slope thru the pines with a small cliff drop and a cool roller towards the bottom that wasnt a big kicker but allowed a smooth, floaty 25'-30 drop. He spun a backside 3 and I spun a frontside 3 right behind him. We both stuck it and rode away. We arrived at the bottom where the trail would take us back to the lift area. He turned around with a suprised look on his face that I was still in his hip pocket. He invited me to join him for the rest of the day because he said I changed his opinion about east coast riders. He also said how suprised he was that in the middle of his spin, he saw me in the corner of his eye,above him just taking off.

Not that I am into it, but the pro scene has been consistently littered with East Coast riders who often make it to the podium. The ice coast has made me better as a rider and more appreciative of "Optimal" Days, when they come along.

I guess what I am getting at is Ice days are crummy, but make us better. I love some of the posts on this thread describing diff types. I have seen em all and try to enjoy them not matter what. Sure I still bellyach at those less than perfect days, but its better than sitting on the couch in the middle of August or at the beach........boring!!! Thinking about the first snowfall of the year and if it will hopefully be an early season.

Just Babbling

Greg

Grew up in PA and was a faithful Roundtop-ian season passholder for years. Now that I am out in Cali and we don't really ever get good ice days (is that an oxymoron) I wonder if I would be able to hang on a nice sheet of the blue stuff........any thoughts from those that have been and gone back after a few years?

Ron Rudy?? He is living in Vegas now, but he said he use to ride at RT back in the early 90's. If you do , I can get you his info if you guys are close enough to hook up.

I was back there for the RT carve session that Phil and the guys arranged. Ramrod was as usual bumps and ice, but I think you would be able to hang.

Minute man was great for the day we had.