Note to New Members ×

Cheap 4807's

420calvin

Guest Randy S.

Order the big one unless you're a midget. I'm 5'10" and 195lbs and I ride the 178 in powder. Its a great pow board, although I caught the tail on a cliff and now it is starting to delam. Dynastar won't fix it because it was caused by pilot error, not defect.

Anyway, if I rode in super light Utah powder, I suspect I could sink the nose of the shorter version (maybe not).

The dished front end (like a v-hull boat) is very cool. Careful if you have a shop grind it though.

Originally posted by Randy S.

Order the big one unless you're a midget. I'm 5'10" and 195lbs and I ride the 178 in powder. Its a great pow board, although I caught the tail on a cliff and now it is starting to delam. Dynastar won't fix it because it was caused by pilot error, not defect.

Anyway, if I rode in super light Utah powder, I suspect I could sink the nose of the shorter version (maybe not).

The dished front end (like a v-hull boat) is very cool. Careful if you have a shop grind it though.

Hey Randy, I count as a midget, right? (5'8" 145 lbs). I always wanted a powder board... especially since I'm going to Whister in February. Could you elaborate on its performance? It floats well, does it require you to blast down through the powder, or can you may slow lazy turns? How does it perform in the tress. You ride your with hardboots still right?

Can anyone who rides softboots as well say how is it carves groomers compared to a regular freeride board when used with softboots? I'm not looking to make huge laid out turns, but I don't want to feel like I'm just skidding my way down the rest of the slope until I can get to the lift and drop into the powder again either.

Thanks for all the help

I'm 5'7" at about 140lbs. I used both the 168 & 178 as my only boards for two seasons in all conditions w/plates and hard boots. They both carve very well on groomers but the width makes it hard to get on the extreme edge. The nose will start to flop around at speed but does not seem out of control or contact with the snow. The boat nose is very responsive in any glade or tight area. I broke two of the 178's (i just like bigger boards and the speed they carry) cuz they delaminated on the die cut logo on the bottom. Seems at that size with my plate setup put the stress on that exact spot. No problems on the 168. I wasn't a real "carver" then (still not) but they would hold an edge real well with the soft flex pattern. Bottom line is.....I love them. I now am into race boards like the Rossi WC190 and Rentiger 178 and now use the swallowtails exclusively for powder. If I could only have one board from this quiver to chose as my total ride it would be the O-Sin #4807 168cm. I have a brand new 178 never used that I'm contemplating on selling.

Originally posted by Randy S.

Order the big one unless you're a midget. I'm 5'10" and 195lbs and I ride the 178 in powder. Its a great pow board

i got the 168 as a Fish-type of board... shorter for steep pow filled trees. sounds like it will rule in that environment.

i've got my Tanker 182 or Nitro 196 swallow for the deep open stuff.

it's all about the right tool for the job! (or is it that i'm addicted to buying snowboards?!)

-adam

Originally posted by 420calvin

i got the 168 as a Fish-type of board... shorter for steep pow filled trees. sounds like it will rule in that environment.

i've got my Tanker 182 or Nitro 196 swallow for the deep open stuff.

it's all about the right tool for the job! (or is it that i'm addicted to buying snowboards?!)

-adam

I'm 5'8" 145, so hopefully a 168 will be big enough.

Yea I'm interested in this board as a Fish-type board for tree runs. I'm wondering how it compared to the Fish or the new Khyber. That Prior board looks sweet, but extremely pricey alas...

So how does the Nitro 196 swallow handle? Only going fast in big open powder runs? Anyone ridden the Prior Pow-stick?

Speaking of addicted to buying snowboards. Before I met all of you guys, I was a respectable recent college graduate student who owned a single regular board (occasionally having a "rock board" in the few months before managing to sell my older board). Now here I am with three snowboards: one freestyle (NS Evo), one freeride(Donek Incline), one freecarve (Burton UP) and I'm already getting a little flack from my starving student friends. Wait till they see me getting FOUR boards while they are still using the same single board they got 5-6 years ago. Oh well, at least I'm having fun. I kind of want to get rid of the Burton as I find the Incline a lot more fun. Might replace the Neversummer as well once I get a chance to compare it to the Incline in terms of park riding.

Originally posted by lonerider

Speaking of addicted to buying snowboards. Before I met all of you guys, I was a respectable recent college graduate student who owned a single regular board (occasionally having a "rock board" in the few months before managing to sell my older board).

Hah! You've been sucked in just like I have. I *just recieved* my Coiler PR 184 last Thursday, I have two days on it, and I'm already figuring out what I want next!

BTW that Coiler is one SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET ride. It's a very confidence-building board, I've never been able to hold an edge before like I can on this deck. My other alpine board is a Donek FC I 163. With the exception of steep runs, I just find the Coiler... well, easier to ride. (I suck on steeps so they're both hard to turn for me on steeps) Is it the length, the construction, or a little of both? Anyone with more experince got anything to say there? I've never ridden a bigger Donek or a smaller Coiler, so to me it's apples and oranges...

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Jack Michaud

It is apples and oranges. The longer sidecut radius of the 184 (~15m?) will carve at higher speeds without chattering where the 163 (10m) would be beyond it's limit.

My 184 is a 13.2m sidecut to be exact. I actually wound up selling that 163. I took it out a couple of more times after making that post, but never did more then two runs without taking it back to the car and getting the Coiler, or my Axis 172. The Axis 172 has a very similar sidecut as the FC 163, but 7 cm more effective edge and is softer. I can carve it at lower speeds than the 163, and that little bit of extra edge length seems to do wonders for my stability.

When I'm at Snowperformance camp in March, I'll make sure to demo some longer Doneks!