Note to New Members ×

DO NOT grease your BTS

Mike T

This thread suggested greasing the BTS:

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=9368

DON'T DO IT. The top nut and toeside spring (yellow) from my back boot, plus the Eliminator tongue pad that was in said boot, is now buried in the snow somewhere near the Tiehack lift @ Buttermilk. The nut threaded itself loose and off popped the spring.

I rode down to the demo tent (this was during SES) and Fin said "yep - leave it dry".

The good news: A BTS w/o a toeside spring is *still* an improvement over the "powder mode" that I used to utilize. I spent half of my SES time with "half a BTS" on my rear boot and it didn't cause me any problems.

I'm the one that suggested greasing the BTS. I've ridden the BTS equipped boots for 7 days so far and the nut is still in the same spot (1 full thread showing above the nut).

I greased the outside of the spring and the lower 75% of the threads of the main shaft. I didn't grease the top part of the shaft where the toeside nut sits.

i also greased the upper spring against the housing. the more forward that is adjusted, the less space is between the spring and the housing, causing more rubbing.because i ride with maximum forward (i even 'tuned' the bts to get more forward out of it), the rubbing is too much without some grease.

i also put some blue locktite on the upper nut. now there are around 10days on the bts-suzukas and no problems so far.:biggthump

• 2 weeks later...
I've ridden the BTS equipped boots for 7 days so far and the nut is still in the same spot (1 full thread showing above the nut).

QUOTE]

Damn, I spoke too soon. The top nut and spring popped off yesterday (back boot). It was my 9th day of riding with the BTS. I thought the spring and top nut were still on when I brought my boots into my condo. I looked around but couldn't find it.

I should have followed Roman's advice and put some loctite on the top nut.

I called Bomber and ordered a new nut ($6.00) and long springs. I was using the yellow springs. Now I'll try out the blue springs.

I put the BTS on my boots and dialed it till it was where I wanted it. Then I took it apart and greased the bolt in the areas where I knew the springs would fit (e.g. everywhere between where the two nuts would eventually go). I also greased the interior of the big silver piece. I stuck blue loctite where I knew the nuts would fit and put everything back together and have had no further problems with either of the nuts dethreading.

All SES long, on one boot (the one with the blue springs) both nuts would slowly unscrew themselves every day... maybe two threads a day. I would check them and reposition them every morning.