Note to New Members ×

USA's 2006 Olympic Nightmare

ar(angel

Guest jschal01
Speaking of Bode washing out of the super-G, the fact he could ski on one ski while he positioned his other ski from behind him to on the snow was truly amazing. I really wished he cared more....

But that's just him, I know

If there were more Bodes, the U.S. would have a deeper bench. We have the broadest base of junior racers in the world, bar none, and do a spectacular job in ensuring that they don't stick with the sport. When you see the anti-stoke and pressure of many J-5 or J-4 events, it's easy to understand why they don't want to continue. It's kind of the skiing equivalent of failure-to-thrive syndrome, or perhaps equivalent to trying to get a dog to fetch by beating on it.

Bode Miller has been competitive in each event so far, and in a sport with a fair bit of luck over the short haul could just as easily have medalled twice as finish where he did. That fact that he does not want to slit his wrists for Bob Costas' ego gratification, when he has done well but not medalled, I would rate as a very good thing. We should love him for bringing his competitive fire to the sport and for skiing for himself.

As for BX and airs, I think a lot of people on this board may never have experienced the positive feedback for going big and trying new things that is part of the joy of the sport of snowboarding. I'd rather see a little spontaneity and enjoyment than hear some coach yelling at the start to "PUT THE HAMMER DOWN."

great points Jschal -

the best part about being a snowboard coach is the sense of levity at the an event. The entire ski race scene is a stress factory. to then go to a snowboard event, and everyone is having fun. snowball fights are common, along with wrestling, adn joking, and laughing and smiles.

And you are pissed at them for not making the Olympics a big a deal as you would like beacuse of "national pride"? IF the nation supported them then maybe they care more about it.

Wavechaser, Ted didn't take Bode's spot he earned himself one. Earlier someone said that Bode should step aside and let someone who actually wants to be there compete. I say Bode shouldn't give his spot away, whoever wants it should step it up and take it.

Geez guys, talk about taking apost and running with it...take a chill pill. I said nothing about being pissed about loss of "National Pride" or implied that the nation was let down - I said I felt (that means it's my opinion) the sponsors would be P.O.'d. Whether it's VISA or whomever, the face time and advertising opportunities from an Olympic Gold would far outstrip any face time Lindsey's getting now.

There are two sides to the "maybe they'd care more if their country supported them" argument - the other being "maybe the nation would support them better if they cared more".

I think someone said "... somone should step up and take his spot by beating him (Bodie)" ...Ligety beat him, and has a good shot to do it again.

I don't really go for the sob stories about what it took to get there either - you get a chance to do something like compete at that level, in this sport, and you are fortunate...the sacrifices are part of the deal. Maybe if there was less laughing and joking and snowball fights at alpine races, and more focus, we could beat the Europeans a bit more often - after all, we ultimately ARE in it to compete and win. :biggthump

I was a ski racr for quite a while and at no level did I ever feel it was a stress factory - nor did I mind anyone screaming or yelling my name at the start...for some people it pumps them up.

We're just different - you and me. ;)

Geez guys, talk about taking apost and running with it...take a chill pill. I said nothing about being pissed about loss of "National Pride" or implied that the nation was let down - I said I felt (that means it's my opinion) the sponsors would be P.O.'d. Whether it's VISA or whomever, the face time and advertising opportunities from an Olympic Gold would far outstrip any face time Lindsey's getting now.

I think someone said "... somone should step up and take his spot by beating him (Bodie)" ...Ligety beat him, and has a good shot to do it again.

I don't really go for the sob stories about what it took to get there either - you get a chance to do something like compete at that level, in this sport, and you are fortunate...the sacrifices are part of the deal. Maybe if there was less laughing and joking and snowball fights at alpine races, and more focus, we could beat the Europeans a bit more often - after all, we ultimately ARE in it to compete and win.

You freely throw out your opinion, look foreword to hearing others.

I have seen many younglings that rip quit to either just freeski or be freestylers due to not liking their coaches and other factors other than the actual sport its self

one such racer got yelled at by coach one day, got pissed, went home, put her GS gear and SG gear on ebay, bought a pair of teles with the cash from selling race gear then promptly moved out west to be a powder hound

last I heard she was teaching little kids to ski at vail two days a week, waiting tables at night and loving free skiing three days a week minimum

Guest jameswolf
Maybe somone should step up and take his spot by beating him.

Well it did happen today. He got knock down a few times. He almost did well. Got one more chance. :smashfrea

As for Lindsey, okay she made a mistake by having a little too much fun and paid the price. Luckly she didn't get hurt. That is more important than winning any medal.

I don't know. You got the Visa thing wrong and we'll see about Ted Ligety on 2-25.

Maybe the news is giving a "spin" on the olympics. What... noooo... they never would do that. Televisions ratings are low so lets make some assumptions why.

Lindsey still got a silver.

I don't really go for the sob stories about what it took to get there either - you get a chance to do something like compete at that level, in this sport, and you are fortunate...the sacrifices are part of the deal. Maybe if there was less laughing and joking and snowball fights at alpine races, and more focus, we could beat the Europeans a bit more often - after all, we ultimately ARE in it to compete and win. :biggthump

I was a ski racr for quite a while and at no level did I ever feel it was a stress factory - nor did I mind anyone screaming or yelling my name at the start...for some people it pumps them up.

I agree about the sacrifice bit; mo' respect goes out to the olympic hopefuls, who dedicate 4 years to going, and don't even make it there due to not being selected, broken leg, etc etc.

I am not sure there is any evidence that not having snowball fights etc would make American more competitive against Swiss or anyone else. I know Thai boxing team for instance has heaps of joking around and laughing and stuff, and with gold medals from last 3 summer olympics it seems to work for them. All blacks tried the all serious approach in rugby world cup last time round, and everyone disliked them, and they lost. Horses for courses.

But anyway, if someone doesn't think Olympics is a big deal and is a sell out, they should be a man like Terje and stand up for what they believe in. And then they step aside and let someone who considers it a big deal (and there are lots) to compete instead. Seems pretty selfish to go all that way stopping someone else to go, then not care.

Well, Thailand only has 1 athlete in the winter olympics ever, so maybe I can be the second one :-)

lots of speculation and hearsay.

The athletes are people and can decide to do whatever they wish. If the ones at the top don't have the same values as you, well, thats their choice. And, if they complain about sellouts yet still compete; so what.

Some people try hard for goals all their life yet never achieve them; that's life.

There are two sides to the "maybe they'd care more if their country supported them" argument - the other being "maybe the nation would support them better if they cared more".

We're just different - you and me. ;)

Wavecahser go re-read the entire thread and look at the peoples name who make the post. Notice in the quote you posted of mine there is a break where I was talking about something and where I addressed you. They are two seperate thoughts. Hence the new paragraph. Also you are trying to use a quote by me (the one about someone stepping up and beating Bode) that does not fit. My response about beating Bode was directed at the person who suggested that Bode step aside and let others race. Why give his spot away, if others were faster they would have it and Bode wouldn't be there. Bode is fast. He is a threat in any ski race.

If you only knew what goes on behind the scenes.

Hello,

When I said that Miller should step aside , I was really saying that if you go to the games with a "Don't care to finish the race Attitude." Then why bother to compete in the games. I mean no in the olympics is going to give up their postion, unless you get hurt. I just thought it was a stupid comment on his part. But he is who he is.

After all he did very well in yesterday race, however was beaten several times by faster skiers. He is an outstanding skier with great skill of balance. But why use that kind of attitude remarks about yourself. Not professional.

The bone thing was a joke. I understood what you were saying about others should take his spot by beating him and guess what they are.

Sorry for the confusion. Peace :rolleyes:

Z

are just cool because there are so many sports getting covered that never do

its big money, thats it

if it were special there would be special events during the games

for the most part all the events are pretty standard stuff, I honestly think they should put up a huge purse for the events instead of making these folks dependant on $$$$$ from wheaties and nike after getting a medal

probably the first thing I would do with my gold if I got one would be to sell it

from what I can see with the olympics is that the investors get the goldmine and the athletes get the shaft

Ditto, the networks & the sponsors make ****loads of money :eplus2: from the life work of these athletes. I would'nt sell my gold though, to earn one in the ollympics, if that is you're life's pursuit is your resume. The Olympics used to be a very special event(I remember my parents getting up in the middle of the night to watch an event live), now it's a packaged product, for sale by the network pimps. :(

Hello,

When I said that Miller should step aside , I was really saying that if you go to the games with a "Don't care to finish the race Attitude." Then why bother to compete in the games. I mean no in the olympics is going to give up their postion, unless you get hurt. I just thought it was a stupid comment on his part. But he is who he is.

After all he did very well in yesterday race, however was beaten several times by faster skiers. He is an outstanding skier with great skill of balance. But why use that kind of attitude remarks about yourself. Not professional.

What is being a professional anyway. I mean, are there any rules of conduct that Bode is supposed to adhere to? Could they have taken his comment out of context? Was he tired of microphones shoved is his face with questions that pretty much ask, "Bode, Bode, why did you suck on that run?" We don't know. All we get is a glimse and sound bites.

Ditto, the networks & the sponsors make ****loads of money from the life work of these athletes. I would'nt sell my gold though, to earn one in the ollympics, if that is you're life's pursuit is your resume. The Olympics used to be a very special event(I remember my parents getting up in the middle of the night to watch an event live), now it's a packaged product, for sale by the network pimps.

If there were no big bad money whores, who would fund the race events?