Note to New Members ×

Ski gear recs and costs?

Dan

Don't worry, I'm not going over to the dark side entirely, but I've been thinking it would be fun to spend an hour or two on skis after carving things up on my snowboard in the mornings.

It's been around 12 years since I skied...I've only ever used straight skis, and I'm interested in checking out shaped skis and seeing if I can learn to rail them.

So...what's a decent setup for an absolute beginner with an interest in carving, and how much should I expect to pay for new or used gear?

I picked up a pair of salomon snowblades last year to help teaching my son skiing - they are fun to cruise around on and you don't have to switch to ski boots mid-day. I hadn't been on skid in about 20 years, but they were pretty easy to get going on. that's what I do in the afternoon now once the groom is chopped up. If you're going to be near Mt Bachelor feb 27-march3 I'll loan them to you for a few runs.

you may get some snide comments from the skiers but we're used to that from the jibbers...

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice.

Sinecure, good point. Come to think of it, though I don't have ski boots anymore, I do have some UPS hard snowboard boots that I haven't been using. Is it worth paying $55 to buy DIN toe/heel pieces for those, or would I be better served to put that cash towards buying "proper" ski boots?

Thanks Kent, I'm potentially interested in buying, but are those skis suitable for a complete beginner?

I was an intermediate skier in about 1997, and haven't been on skis since then. (So I was wrong about the "12 years" in my first post - it's only been about 9 years...) But anyway, let me know if these things are going to be friendly for me - I'm 5'11", weigh around 155.

I'll PM you with my e-mail address.