Note to New Members ×

Heel bail: spring loaded or mechanical stop

Derf

I got some Catek Olympics at the start of the season and the heel bail is starting to get on my nerves :angryfire . I am starting to miss the heel bails on my Burton that would stay up. So I am going to mod my Cateks so the heel bail stands up, but I don't know if I should install a spring (like Bombers, but different) or if I should install a mechanical stop (like F2s)? A spring is much simpler to install, but I am scared that it will not work properly (spring not strong enough or iced up).

What are your personnal experiences with heel bails. And no, Intec is not an option for me, I wear non Intec compatible boots and don't want to change them.

Thanks

Derf, The heel bail and block should have enough friction to keep the bail standing up. My guess is the metal is worn out and you have a floppy bail. You might try to bend the bail a bit where it sits under the block so that it has friction again. They come bent a bit out of the box.

The bail will fall down if knocked or stepped on but if you pull it up with the front lip of your boot then clip in, it should work fine.

The heel bail has some friction left in it, but not enough for my liking. I know I can push it up with my boot, but doing this with stiff hardboots is like opening a gift with boxing gloves on. I'm lazy in my own way: too lazy to push up my bail but not enough to get some Intec.

Imho, fitting a spring would the the most elegant, and most time consuming...

Stoppers are much easier to implement... (think sheet metal and a few bends)

I've read your message about catek mode... sounds like an overkill to me, if there is and issue of cant screws diggin in, why not modify the cant screws? I'll wait for my pair of OS1 to show up in order to bring any constructive ideas though...

Guest MusclePain

I just used some thin rope (about 2.5 mm diameter). As you can see in the second picture where I push the bail down with my thumb the rope acts like a spring. I've used this setup since last year and it works really well.

You probably don't need to make as many knots on the left side as I did but obviously you need to prevent the rope from sliding down (I never had any problems).

(Click on the thumb nails to enlarge the pics)

catekheelwithrope10qn.th.jpg

catekheelwithrope27zb.th.jpg

Yeah, but these bindings aren't cheap, having to add a string or a bungee cord or chewing gum or whatever to provide a function that should be there in the first place is just goofy in my book.

I agree to a certain extent; it's not because something is expensive that it is perfect. It's part of the product evolution: te first TD1 had no springs, the second TD1 had one, but too weak, and TD2 are supposed to have a better one. From what I understand, Jeff made the bail bent in a certain way so it would have some friction to stay up, but it's not enough in my opinion. I want something better so that's why I am planning on adding something. Different manufacturers, different approach.

Yeah, but jeez... my F2s have a little stop with guides the bail friction fits into. Folds for travel, fold out and a slight push to snap in and good to go for the day. Simple and effective and I didn't have to screw around with springs or whatever. Of course it's made out of (don't tell anyone) plastic.