Note to New Members ×

Riding with Music

Justin A.

So the other day I unexplicably got the urge to ride with my iPod. I don't know why I did it, I just did. I didn't know what I'd been missing! Admittedly, I did feel that I kind of lost out on the "in touch with nature" experience, but we all lose that as soon as we sit on a lift instead of booting it. I felt that that I was more relaxed and less focused on whether I was on ice or on cord, it finally all felt the same like it used to. It was kinda amusing to see the looks on people's faces as I went by singing along with stevie wonder :) The type of music thats playing definitley affects my turns too...Say, Frank Sinatra = relaxed free carving stye against Powerman 5000 = really agressive racing style turns. Pretty interesting stuff... and yes, I do have both of them in the same playlist :freak3:

________

Star Craft Replays

There is a lawsuit going on right now with 2 people that collided

Both snowboarders, one goofy and one regular

Both blindsides and they crash.

One had head phones,,,Ski partol in the report said it was his fault because he was not aware of his surroundings and / or paying attention.

$$$$$$$

Just a thought

Alan

I recently had the same experience Justin---went out with my MP3 player for the first time, and like you, I loved it! It was a blast riding with tunes, but also made the lift time (which is considerable at my resort's dog-slow lifts) go by faster.

But then to the other point---I almost got knocked out cold by a skier once who hit me directly from behind at about 20mph. He had headphones on.

The lawsuit/negligence issue is definitely something to consider. Generally, I've decided I won't listen to tunes unless the slopes are pretty empty (which they usually are since I always go on weekday mornings! :))

Scott

I am thinking of trying to ride with my iPOD, but want to get a set of head-phones with volume control.

Then you can adjust the volume depending on the crowds on the hill - when it is completely open - enjoy music, when it is busy or unpredictable - no volume.

If anyone knows of a good set of headphones/earbuds that fit under a helmet and have volume control - I am interested.

All the best

Rob

I bought some cheap ass headphones(with volume control) and pulled them apart so i only had the big ear piece left and the wiring....then pulled the liner outta my red helmet....shoved the ear pieces down into the ear flaps....zap strapped the volume onto the side of the helmet strap(it can be used with your gloves on if you get the dial volume control) and presto .....cheap helmet tunes :lol: actually sounds pretty damm good!!!

There is a lawsuit going on right now with 2 people that collided

Both snowboarders, one goofy and one regular

Both blindsides and they crash.

One had head phones,,,Ski partol in the report said it was his fault because he was not aware of his surroundings and / or paying attention.

$$$$$$$

Just a thought

Alan

its very similar to when two people are in a car accident at an intersection, and both seem to be at fault, the person that has fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror, will be more at fault.

What about a helmet then? Wearing a helmet also weakens the sounds of your surroundings. And is wearing earbuds inside your helmet at the same level of the surrounding sounds okay then? Would be hard to prove in a lawsuit though.

Erwin

try using tuneups one by giro ... they havea volume control .. but tuneups 2 do not... I have both ...

Um - sorry to disagree with you kenny, but the tuneups 1 don't have volume control - just a mute button.

I use these and they work great. Volume control and song selection.

And for those preaching the dangers of riding with tunes - As long as volume is kept to a reasonable level (and the tuneups speakers really din't get THAT loud) you can hear pretty well. - no more reduction on hearing than riding fast and getting wind noise.

i use my ipod for the lift ride only. once i am off the chair and ready to roll..........the ipod is off. it scares me not being able to hear everything around me.

Got to agree

I've narrowly missed a couple out of control skiiers and boarders before only because I heard their cries

When I'm out in powder or on the lift I turn up the volume a little.

I listen to the iPod on trails with lots of people too, though this is at my own descretion and should I get hit it's my fault I suppose. The other day a lady talked to the school I'm attending in Japan, saying that she had almost hit me skateboarding because I didn't hear her honking her horn at me. Kind of weird considering I skated in NYC and Boston for a year each while listening to my iPod and was always able to hear honks -- but you never know. It's that one time that you don't hear it that gets you hit, right? Or so they say.

I guess my overall opinion of the iPod (or any mp3 player) would be, it makes the lifts go faster, but when you're riding a powder run you have so much fun you don't even notice the music, and I can't really reccommend listening on piste with a clean conscience. That said, I don't not-reccomennd it ;). Just wear your helmets. I don't have one yet, but sometime soon. The order will probably come when I'm laying in the hospital wishing I could still feel my body from the neck down. They say experience is the best teacher.

So long as you keep your head about you and ride safe you probably won't hit anyone or be hit, regardless of whether or not you're listening to music.

Probability is a son-of-a-bitch, huh.

cheers

Jamie

What about a helmet then? Wearing a helmet also weakens the sounds of your surroundings. And is wearing earbuds inside your helmet at the same level of the surrounding sounds okay then? Would be hard to prove in a lawsuit though.

Erwin

I believe helmets are certified to let in enough sound that it really wouldn't be an issue. Most likely, in a lawsuit, it is assumed that as long as you're wearing headphones, your listening loud enough to impair your hearing of the sourroundings. I'm sure on the giro helmet with built in headphones there is a warning in the manual saying "listen to music while on the trail at your own risk and blah, blah, blah...." they have to say it to protect themselves.