Note to New Members ×

Stripped screw on toe piece

Gleb

the other day, Bob dea noticed that a piece of plastic was coming off my toe piece. Steve fleck took a toe piece off some of his older boots to put on mine. I got burton winds and taking off the toe piece is hard. The screws are in solid. I took one out and couldn't get the others. One of my friends tried it and the screw ended up stripped. Is there a way I can get this screw out? It has some thread left in it but I don't want to strip it any more. Thanks in advance.

If you Carefully drill or dremel a shallow hole ( the width of a flat screwdiver blade ) on both sides of the stripped phillips "hole" on the head of the screw, you can insert a flat screwdriver into the improvised "slot" formed by the 2 new holes and maybe get her out.

I hope that made sense...I had to do it on the stripped allen head on an ankle pivot on my old burton reactors that would not tighten.

If this fails, Get a wider bit, center it on the sripped phillips hole and grind off the head off the screw. Then you can pull the plastic piece off. and remove the headless screw with channel lock pliers.

Mucho Kudos to those guys for helping you out with parts.

COOLNESS = GOOOOOOD Kharma all around!

Elaborate, is it just the screw's head which is busted or there is an insert turning?

Gleb said it is a Burton Wind boot, the insert can't turn. If you aren't familar with the product the advice you give is suspect. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but when I don't know about a piece of equipment I don't try to give advice. The two post you made here don't make sense if you are familar with a Burton boot.

As to the dremal idea that works when you can get clear access to the head of the screw, the way the screws are on the toe pad you would have to cut through most of the pad to do the dremal trick. You probably don't want to do this, because you might need it down the road. What I'd do is get a drill bit the same size of the head of the screw, drill the head off, be carefull not to damage the toe pad, like I said you might need it down the road. You will then be able to slide the toe pad off and then you can unscrew the screw with some vice-grips. This would also be a good time to check the inserts inside your boot. I've seen a few of these crack and break over the years. Good luck.

Трындец шурупу...

What the toe pad is made of?

i'm not getting the russian. my russian blows:smashfrea

the toe pad is plastic.

Dano, thanks, it made sense and i'll give it a try. Ya they all kick ass :biggthump I just hope i'll be able to find exactly the same screws in a hardware store. If not, i'll call up burton and see what they have left.

philfell, ya i need the toe piece because i'm giving it to steve for the reason you pointed it out. It doesn't seem like a hue problem at the moment because the bottom thin layer of plastic thats on the very, very bottom so I'm going to have to wait till I get home next weekend. Huge storm coming this way now so i'm staying put. thanks alot!

Guest owaysys

I rode Burton Fire's for a few years and had this same problem a couple of times. Fire's and Wind's were basically made on the same mold. If I remember right, if you take the liner out of the boots (and then maybe another plastic footbed?) you will see the T-nuts that hold the toe piece screws in. If you can find a way to get some sort of lubricant (wd 40 or silicone) down into those T-nuts, that may help loosen the screws. I would be worried about cutting or drilling around the toe piece, but I know that Burton has really good rider services and they can probably sell a new toe piece to you if you need it. I noticed that you said there's a big storm coming so you might not be riding for a while, so you might just send the whole shell to Burton and have them figure it out. With their warranty/service program, you'll probably have your shell back in a week and people that really know the product (instead of yahoos like me) will have fixed your problem.

I already have a toe piece, its just getting the screw out thats the prob. Nothing really worth paying shipping for. Also, all this snow being dumped will give me a chance to ride some nice groomed runs by tuesday or wednesday. :biggthump Do they still service their alpine stuff even though its all discoutinued?

You won't be able to get any lube in there. The inserts have a bottom so taking the liner out won't expose the threads. Drilling the head off the screw would be fine, if you go too deep you might gouge the toe peice you are taking off, but if you need to use it again it would be fine.

If nothing else works, drill out the head of the screw with a bit slightly larger than the shank (13/64" or 7/32" if it's a 5 mm bolt). Once you're through the head, it'll pop off and let you remove the toe piece.

Spray some real penetrating oil (not WD-40) on both sides of the bolt stub and let it sit for a bit. Then you can try some pliers or vise grips on the stub that's sticking out of the bottom of the boot.

If all that fails, you might have to pound the T-nut out and replace it. That may be difficult if it's molded into the shell.

We finally got it out a few days ago. With the dakine rachet i got from Pat Donnelly, one of the heads fit perfectly for stripped philips screws. I definitly need a new screw but i'll have to do for now. Thanks for all the ideas and will def remeber all of them for the future.:biggthump