Note to New Members ×

4 deaths at Mammoth in 4 days

gdboytyler

From the article: "Benjamin David Trees, 16, of San Diego, died on Thursday, Jan. 26 after sustaining injuries when he incorrectly landed a jump in the snowboard park at Mammoth Mountain Ski Area. Eyewitnesses said he was going fast, and was somewhat out of control. He overshot the jump, landing on his back in the flats. Mammoth Mountain Ski Patrol and Mono County Paramedics administered advanced life support and transported Trees to Mammoth Hospital, where he was pronounced deceased."

Huh? That doesn't sound like any kind of a fatal crash. Does anyone know what his injuries were?

From the article: "Benjamin David Trees, 16, of San Diego, died on Thursday, Jan. 26 after sustaining injuries when he incorrectly landed a jump in the snowboard park at Mammoth Mountain Ski Area. Eyewitnesses said he was going fast, and was somewhat out of control. He overshot the jump, landing on his back in the flats. Mammoth Mountain Ski Patrol and Mono County Paramedics administered advanced life support and transported Trees to Mammoth Hospital, where he was pronounced deceased."

Huh? That doesn't sound like any kind of a fatal crash. Does anyone know what his injuries were?

I am not certain but I believe the impact ruptured an aorta in his heart.

A big-name cliff skier died of a ruptured aorta a while back when he landed on his back (on a rock, IIRC). There was also a fatality at Summit Central in WA two or three years ago which I heard (from a stranger) was due to an overshoot and a ruptured aorta.

Overshoots by themselves are bad... You fall the height of the jump plus whatever height the kicker provided, and you stop falling instantly (not gradually as when you land on a downward slope). Might as well jump out a window. Plus he landed on his back, so his legs couldn't absorb any of the impact. :(

Poor guy, condoleances to the family.

That reminds me of an autopsy where a biker hit a car. No sign of trauma on the outside, however, he dislocated his vertebrae, cut the aorta in half (scissor like movement, the aorta sitting right against the vertebral column). He was literally hanging by his skin....