Note to New Members ×

Shaun White = Bank Robber?

Jack M

I think Shaun has the best attitude possible for someone in his position.I'm sure Burton sets him up with that all the ridiculous herringbone one piece retro overpriced garb they're hawking to all the rich kids out there.The kid is still humble and his head has managed to stay a normal size despite all the attention.Watching him get PUNK'd on MTV really shows his true character.If he wears a bank robber bandana, who cares ? It is original.I loved it when Plake called out Tanner Hall on Reel Thrills aboout gangsters in Montana.Too many little jibbers and skaters today are trying to copy what they see in the mags and that's just sad. Be original , be yourself.Back when guys like wavechaser and I were building and skating our own backyard ramps in the 70's it wasn't about wearing Madrats or Rector shorts and getting the coolest board, it was about hitting the vert, being able to drop in on vert and screaming "go for it" at your friends while you cranked AC/DC so loud your neighbors complained to your mom when she got home.Anyone know who this badass is ? He still skates today at well over 40. I met him at Upland Pipeline in SoCal back in the late 70's and to us, he was larger than life.His little brother was an obnoxious pretty boy prick like Bert Lamar but meeting SALBA was like meeting skateboard royalty....and Duane Peters just plain scared us.

post-123-141842212329_thumb.jpg

I was more of a "wish I was in Dogtown" rat - thought Bobby Piercy's slalom was pretty rad too, and Tom Inouye. One of the guys who built the Turner Summer Skis used to fix my car in San Diego, friend of my roommate, can't remember his name. Did the backyard ramp and drain the neighborhood pools thing but in Westchester County, NY. Cherry Hill was the last good park I really skated in...those were the days man! :biggthump

Shaun White would fit right in if it was 1978 now - that's what I like about him.

why thank you for your preaching and histiory lesson
You're quite welcome young grasshopper.And speaking of histiory...It's also sad that a movie like Lords of Dogtown puts such a bogus spin on what the whole thing was really like.Stacey Peralta nailed it in Dogtown Z Boyz tho.I was just an east coast kid that was lucky enuf to have older cousins in socal to show me the stuff most kids could only read about in Skateboarder magazine.I digress, Shaun White wears a bandana over his face alot.Big deal.It's not like the kids I see wearing beanie hats in July cuz that's the "look".Just go to Pac Sun and buy some Hurley Tshirts and a Volcom Jacket and you'll have the pseudo surfer look down pat.

it doesn't get much more core than Duane Peters.Ever see an Acid Drop into the Combi Pool at Upland ?Joe Strummer, Johnny Rotten,and Joey Ramone ...all gone but this guy is still a living legend.Vert ain't dead http://www.64mm.com/vlog/vlog20_64mm.movhttp://www.concretedisciples.com/skate_photos/details.php?image_id=117&sessionid=8e4c1193e074d3fc38c8468c11df15e4

post-123-141842212335_thumb.jpg

I love how jay adams epitomized skating back then but doesn't even seem to skate anymore. Alva still kills it , Salba can still hang.Duane...nuff said.Even Wentzl Ruml is still in our midst.Road Riders, Gullwings , ACS 500's, dude, I was there.Cadillacs and Bahne skateboards. Shaun White is the new era.Henry Hester is still around. Man, it makes me wanna skate.Steve Olson is OG !

post-123-141842212342_thumb.jpg

post-123-141842212344_thumb.jpg