Note to New Members ×

traveling by plane?

Guest Hopscotch

Guest Hopscotch

How do ya'll get your boards to the mountain on time if you fly to a resort?

I was on the chair lift the other day and a guy mentioned about sending it ahead of time in the mail. That way it will be there waiting for you.

I haven't really considered how much stuff gets lost in the airports. I know if i got to the destination and didnt have a board, i would be pretty upset.

does anyone have any ideas about this?

as long as you have somewhere to send it to ahead of time that would be a good, easy solution. with new weight restrictions shipping ahead of time might be the best option. save time fumbling to cut weight at the baggage counter.

if not, I've been flying with boards for the past6 years, probably spent more time in planes and airports in that time span than most people do in there entire lives, and the only problem i've had with lost bags was last spring. my board got "lost" but it was delivered to my house about 12 hours later.

I flew to Thunder Bay last weekend to introduce Loch Lomand riders to board racing.

Flew Fri. am to ride pm; Air Canada brought my gear to the hotel at 7:30 that evening.

Came home Sun. night after 3hr delay... my luggage was delivered to my house on Wed pm.

They said I could rent...

Oh ya, we had 15 riders out for a great race intro session.

I had a goofy problem in early December. I had to get 3 boards and a set of skis and all their bindings (and then ski boots, hard boots & soft boots) from Iowa to Park City Utah. I was flying.

After doing research on airline baggage limits and weights, sports equipment allowances, cost of extra bags, oversize/overweight bags on airline, shipping options, I decided to ship UPS right to my condo, condo agreed.

Last season I bought a burton wheely (case?? locker?? not remembering exact model). It can pack a lot of gear if done right, but can get heavy fast. Took all bindings off everything. The boards,skis & all bindings went in the wheely case, 3 sets of boots packed into suitcase.

the bottom line... packed wheely case weighed 67 lbs, (under UPS' oversize 2 limit). I measured the wheely to be under UPS size limit for OS2. UPS store insisted was OVER size limit for OS2. OS2 would have shipped $54 one-way. They insisted OS3... $124 one-way. round trip for case cost $250 vs $108

If you can find a way to stay under OS2 weight/size UPS can beat airline charges if you've got a lot of stuff.

Now I'm heading to Tahoe with less gear. I'll just pack the wheely differently and check thru airline as sports equipment (staying under airline bag weight limit).

I have been traveling with multiple boards since 98. I always bring 2-3 decks and at least 2 bindings. I often toss a powder suit in with the burton board case as well. Most airlines let it on in oversize. Via Northwest I travel at least once to twice every year with the board case and the team bag. No extra charges, no issues. Some times the bags get there after me, but I usually fly non-stop. I think for those on budgets, this is the best way. But there can be horror stories as well.

Best Luck with your travels

Lamberto

As of yet anyway - many airlines view large and/or overweight luggage as a way to generate revenue. We usually travel with two double ski SporTube's. Two sets of skis in one and two or three boards in the other.

http://www.sportsexpress.com/QuickQuote/GetQuote.asp

http://www.sportube.com/pages/skis_two_pair.html

Some of the airline policies borders on the absurd. Last month, for the first time, I had my carry-on bag weighed. It was 4 pounds overweight so I took my snowboard boots out of the bag, slung them over my shoulder and reweighed the bag. The counter guy said it was okay. I turned the corner and put the boots back in the bag.

I still haven't had Air Canada check my board bag for multiple boards. I usually travel with 2 or 3 and their guidelines clearly state 1 board per bag. One day, I'll probably get burned by someone in a bad mood.

Just took 2 boards to Denver and back (from Reno).

Get a good board bag. I have a Burton that is made from heavy duty Cordura, and it survived the trip just fine.

And then add one old wool blanket (army surplus store). What you really want to protect is the edges and the base. If you have multiple boards take the bindings off of all but the shortest. Place them longest to shortest. Wrap with one layer of blanket between each board, and then as many layers around the whole thing. Put in board bag.

Fly baby, fly.