Note to New Members ×

fix for TD1 floppy heel bails?

Ray(ottawa)

I have the older TD1 with the frustrating floppy heel bails(bomber what were you thinking?) and the easiest fix would be to buy the parts to upgrade them to the spring loaded bails, except Bomber seems to be permanently out of the springs. My solution was to fabricate a metal support with rubber pads that attaches to the rear of the heel blocks and holds the bail up. Works fine, but the pads compress and wear, requiring often replacement.

Does anyone have other solutions? How about another source for the springs, or has anyone tried making their own spring?

I have the older TD1 with the frustrating floppy heel bails(bomber what were you thinking?) and the easiest fix would be to buy the parts to upgrade them to the spring loaded bails, except Bomber seems to be permanently out of the springs. My solution was to fabricate a metal support with rubber pads that attaches to the rear of the heel blocks and holds the bail up. Works fine, but the pads compress and wear, requiring often replacement.

Does anyone have other solutions? How about another source for the springs, or has anyone tried making their own spring?

The TD2 springs work with the TD1s.

I just did this to my TD1s and it is somewhat better. I'm thinking it will be time to go intec soon.

Speedzilla:

You know the Intecs ride different so be careful about making a commitment to Intecs. I am going to ride 90% on standard bails but with the TD1s, I will mount step ins for the rear foot only. I know it's not the best idea but I get a few more seasons out of the bindings and I remove the frustration of kicking at the heel piece at the top of the hill while my step-in buddies ditch me.

I'm going to mount those on a board that I ride infrequently. On my favourite boards, I'm sticking with standard bails.

Henry

Henry,

Not sure what you meant about the intecs riding differently. (Guessing you meant stiffer?) I'm thinking about a rear step in set up for the TD2s with a standard TD2 binding on the front. (Have yet to try the TD2s). This should work ok too shouldn't it?

I've done the same on the TD1's in the past, although one thing I noted was that the sole block is higher on the TD1 step-in compared with its standard counterpart. Seems to feel better for me when using a lift kit on the standards to even up the height discrepancy.

Gabe

There is less lateral flex with the Intec heel block. I used to think there wasn't much motion in the heel with standard bails but then a friend of mine shot a video of him doing some "carpet" carving. The video focused on the heel only and I couldn't believe the amount of motion that was going on. It doesn't surprise me to hear about heel and bail failures having seen that video.

If you are used that amount of lateral movement, suddenly sticking an Intec block on the back heel would cripple your riding, I would think. Of course, you can learn to compensate.

Like I said, I'm going to give it a try and see how it feels.