Note to New Members ×

Volkl RT - wow!

skategoat

I rode my new/used Volkl RT 168 GS for the first time yesterday and I felt like a superhero. I've been on lots of boards that could hold an edge but the big difference for me with the Volkl was the ease of transition from one turn to another. On other boards, I often feel too locked into a carve. Because of this, I don't finish my carve and instead, make my next turn while I've just barely crossed the fall line. The result is too much frickin' speed. With the Volkl, it felt like I had full control over the radius of my turn. For a tighter turn, I simply applied more pressure.

I don't have the experience to easily discern the flex characteristics of a board just from riding it so I'm wondering if other RT riders can tell me how to describe this board. Moderately stiff, Stiff, extra stiff? Soft/stiff nose?

What other boards ride like the Volkl? I'm thinking I might like the Madd 170 or the F2 if I like the Volkl.

Specs on my ride:

Length 168cm

Contact length 149.5cm

Sidecut radius 10.95m

Waist width 19cm

Not to start a flame war, but I'd describe that board as soft. The nose is a bit stiffer than the tail but the overall flex is pretty flexible. If you put 10 kilos on it and suspend it by the ends of the effective edge, and give me the deflection in mm I can give you the BOBSI of the board compared to a few others. If I recall it's about a 10, which is similar to the Sims 167 and Hot 164. Almost the same flex as an F2 Silberpfeil, but the F2 is more forward loaded. A nice friendly ride for sure.

Chris:

Remember how much I liked that Burton FP you loaned me last year? I liked it so much I bought one this summer but the first day I rode it, I hated it and immediately sold it off. It was a 173. I don't know why my FP felt so different from yours. Maybe one or the other was worn out. I found the RT very similar in feel to your FP but it seemed to have a bit more snap in the transition.

Henry

It's funny that I noticed this thread this evening. My 14 year old rode a RT 168 this evening at Buck Hill. He found the board to be pretty soft, even for his meager 5'6", 95 pound body. The snow was very soft tonight. He purposely rode it hard at one point and "buckled" the board. "it punished me in return" he said. Though it was his first time on a board that long, he was easily able to ride it through a GS course.....albeit he found it more difficult than his 164 Speed. But, after a couple of hours of free riding he seemed to have the board mastered. But clearly....it is soft. One of his team mates suggested that in a heavily rutted GS course the board might be difficult to control. So my intent was to buy this board (trade actually) for my son.....but am worried about it's ability to stand up to a rough course.

Is this the board?

rt 168.bmp

This is my Volkl. Dark photo but it has the little tiger at the bottom of the board. Beside it is the FP that I didn't like. I guess it was a 167 and not a 173. I remember flexing the two boards when I got them and I found the Volkl to be much stiffer than the FP.

Maybe your son's Volkl has been ridden a lot cause I can't imagine how a 95 lb. kid could flex the board I own. I weigh 190.

post-199-141842210909_thumb.jpg

Your board is what I think of when somebody references a RT. Where your board shows the tiger on the bottom, the board I am referencing says "3D side cut" on the bottom. In the center of the board it says "powered by Titanium." At the tip of the board on the base it has a 1/2" wide metal edge.....great for someone who bangs the board on gates. The board also calls itself a 168 GS.

Sorry to have jumped onto your thread.....we're obviously talking about 2 different boards. The owner claimed to have purchased it two years ago and ridden it once ( I believe him because it still only had factory wax).

I wonder what I have...... :confused:

Henry that FP I loaned you had a killer tune, maybe that's what this is all about? Also, I don't want that old story to start again about the two different flexes of FP's. There are a lot of older Burtons around with "s" after the size, but all that means is "symmetrical" as opposed to asymmetrical. Remember Burton used to make both? This is their way of differentiating between the two, so that "s" has nothing to do with flex.

Good that you posted a pic of the Volkl, I thought you were talking about a different board, so I retract my opinion, I know nothing about that board. Bring it over and we can measure the flex if you're curious.

I picked up a MADD 170 last week, but I have been out of town since it shipped, so I will ride once I get home later tonight. I also just picked up the Sabertooth RT 173 and have nothing but good things to say about it. I was on an Aggression (Volant 173 all of last season) and once I got on the RT, what a difference!!! Heelside turns became stronger within 2 runs and carving on narrow steeps that I normally couldnt on my Volant, due to width of the trail. RT kept it tight and went where I wanted it to go with confidence

Oddly enough, my toesides became slightly sketchy, especially when doing euro type carves. It would start to undulate mid way thru the carve. Maybe I should be coming out of the carve by that time anytime anyway. The RT has actually made me get back to focusing on proper technique and form. Dont know wht, it just did.

But the RT was been a blessing for me. I weigh 205 and push the snot out it, which you have to where I ride due to tightness of the trails.

Anyway, I will check back once I take that MADD for a spin. I would also be interested in seeing the difference b/tw the 170 and the 158.

'

Enjoy both whatever you do.

Greg

Mine is the same year/model as yous, just longer. Oldkey's is an earlier model which many have noted as being softer in the nose and had a tendancy to fold. Mine doesn't, no matter what stupid things I do. And like someone else said, it does forgive line choices, and let you make corrections on the fly. I rate mine as medium flex, but very stable in the chop because of the titanal in the board. And it does snap off the tail nicely, as I was doing last night off of any roller I could find. Never been on a Madd, so I can't make a comparo. Been on a lot of softer stuff though.

Since people are looking at RT 168's here, I have a brand new one for sale - All black topsheet - from two or three seasons ago. Never ridden - selling for $250 plus shipping - email me if interested at cfj04@aol.com

I do own one of the earlier yellow ones and yes they are a tad softer than the newer boards. The newer ones have the topsheet with some indentations running the length of the tip and tail. The newer ones are snappier and yes they hold their camber for a good length of riding time. My 163 sl has been ridden four seasons (including in bumps) and still has plenty of snap

Henry that FP I loaned you had a killer tune, maybe that's what this is all about? Also, I don't want that old story to start again about the two different flexes of FP's. There are a lot of older Burtons around with "s" after the size, but all that means is "symmetrical" as opposed to asymmetrical. Remember Burton used to make both? This is their way of differentiating between the two, so that "s" has nothing to do with flex.

Good that you posted a pic of the Volkl, I thought you were talking about a different board, so I retract my opinion, I know nothing about that board. Bring it over and we can measure the flex if you're curious.

I know what the "s" is there for, but then what does Klug mean by these designations?

https://www.klugriding.com/‘98-‘99-FACTORY-PRIME_1010-snowboarding-gear.php

https://www.klugriding.com/05-R17-Addicted_1008-snowboarding-gear.php

Skate,

took the MADD 170 for a few runs this morning for the first time, all I can say, is get one. It took a little bit getting used to during the first run, but I couldn't get over how well it held on frozen granular. I only use it at medium speeds because our slopes at blue Mountain: Pennsylvania and have become victims of the groomers ridges because of the recent rain. Once we get properly groomed slopes back, I'll let you know how it runs wide open.

Seriously consider getting one.

I don't know what they could be referring to on the website, my source at Burton assured me that they only made one version in each size, in fact he laughed when I asked about the "soft flex" versions. Who knows, maybe that year is softer than other years? And the R17 seems like there is two versions of the same board, like Hot did with the blue and red versions. No idea. Maybe if you want to buy from Klug you could ask.

...he said:

"Hey Rick,

Thanks for your message and support. The Soft Flex is an overall softer flex pattern, compared to the slightly stiffer regular medium flex. With your weight I’d recommend normal regular flex which is a medium flex perfect for your weight. All boards with soft flex are denoted as so.

CK"

...SAY WHAAAT?? :confused: