Note to New Members ×

The Cutest Little Hardbooter

Guest Randy S.

Guest Randy S.

There was a guy who posted here on BOL about distributing Rabanser boards a couple of years ago. Try a search? Maybe on the archived version over on alpinecarving.com?

Dan, 8 year old boys don't know about girls yet. Heck, my 11 year-old son is just barely aware that they exist, although the 11 year-old girls definitely like him.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter just came over and saw those pix. She thought they were pictures of *her* for a sec. Same color and style hair, same pajamas, and she loves standing on snowboards, right on the bindings - isn't it amazing how little kids know just what to do?

An aside, my daughter had her first few rides on the chairlift last weekend. She still needs to ski between my legs, hasn't quite got the "bend knees and lean forward" thing down despite my wife demonstrating skiing an entire run w/ hands on kneecaps, but don't tell *her* she's not ready.

Only thing is, she thinks that people ski down the hill so that they can ride the chairlift again, not the other way around :eek:

You might be a loving child for the time being, if possible: This week I gave my dad (63) his first snowboarding lesson, in his ski boots, on my brother's old Hot Spirit. After 4 hours he managed both heel- and frontside turns and called it a day. Seems to me he's hooked. :biggthump

On a related note, where do you find board gear for kids? My son just turned 6, he's a blast on skis (to the point where I find it difficult to follow him) and wants to try boarding. I've seen kids plates on eBay (and it's going to be easier to find ski boots for him than snowboard boots, I think), but finding short boards is a nightmare. None of our local shops have anything less than 135 (he's only 120cm tall, and 21 kg) which is going to be rather too much plank for him I think.

Simon

My daughter just came over and saw those pix. She thought they were pictures of *her* for a sec. Same color and style hair, same pajamas, and she loves standing on snowboards, right on the bindings - isn't it amazing how little kids know just what to do?

An aside, my daughter had her first few rides on the chairlift last weekend. She still needs to ski between my legs, hasn't quite got the "bend knees and lean forward" thing down despite my wife demonstrating skiing an entire run w/ hands on kneecaps, but don't tell *her* she's not ready.

Only thing is, she thinks that people ski down the hill so that they can ride the chairlift again, not the other way around :eek:

Mike,

Maybe that's her twin! :eek: :D

That's great that yours is on snow! And indeed they know what to do!

Karissa will be starting this next season (she turns 3 in a few months). It should be fun and interesting at the same time. My 9 yo is doing real well and I think he'll go to the plates later this season.

The riding down the hill so you can get another ride on the lift is great - the mind of a child :biggthump

On a related note, where do you find board gear for kids? My son just turned 6, he's a blast on skis (to the point where I find it difficult to follow him) and wants to try boarding. I've seen kids plates on eBay (and it's going to be easier to find ski boots for him than snowboard boots, I think), but finding short boards is a nightmare. None of our local shops have anything less than 135 (he's only 120cm tall, and 21 kg) which is going to be rather too much plank for him I think.

Simon

Simon,

Keep your eye on ebay. Scored a BRAND NEW pair of Raichle 220s for my 9yo for like $20 bucks! Bindings are more easily found as you have already noticed.

That being said, you may just want to start him on softies if it's his first time. I have seen plenty of freeride decks in smaller sizes. Alpine/carve stuff is more rare in the sub 135cm range. Paul (Ar(angel) may be able to provide more info on this.